• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Application problems thermal paste

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Componentgirl90

Registered
Greetings all.

I have a system with an E7500. I was getting temperatures in the 30s and 40s celcius when idle and it was hitting 80 under normal load and 100 under full load.

I reapplied thermal paste to try and resolve this problem. Arctic silver 5, using the line method. Temps were worse mid 40s when idle, 100 under normal load.

I reapplied again using pea dot method. Temps were even worse. Mid 50s when idle, and i dared not test load temps.

So some questions: What methods do I use for arctic silver 5 on an E7500? Does the paste have to cover the whole thermal surface of the CPU once it has squished? Can too much paste cause overheating?

MFG says bb size in the middle.

Paste should cover the entire IHS, yes.

Too much can cause overheating.

Does the heatsink get hot to the touch? Do temps go down if you push firmly down on the heatsink?

What case do you have? CPU cooler? Airflow in the case? What are your ambient temps?

Thank you for this reply Earthdog.

I think it may be part of the problem that when I looked at the line method squish, it was an oval but had not spread out as much as I had expected. Perhaps I should use a credit card or whatever to spread it out manually before putting the heatsink down? (I would have done this already but the arctic silver 5 instructions said to not do this (I assuming because it might run on to the mobo or something)).

I havent dare touch any of computer parts whilst the computer is running!!

I have an ancient case but it is open. The case if from a computer from 1999. The CPU cooler is a stock intel cooler. There is no case fan working at the moment but as I say the case is totally open. Ambient temps 24 degrees celcius in this room.

AS5 on stock intel cooler

I was wondering if it is advisable to follow the following steps with Arctic silver 5 (AS5) on a E7500 Core 2 Duo:

1. Apply a BB size of AS5 paste on to the intel stock cooler
2. Use a credit card to spread it out over the cooler by pushing down on it.
3. Put the cooler onto the CPU without applying any AS5 on the CPU.
4. Switch on.

I am mainly concerned that the AS5 might run onto the motherboard. The AS5 guidelines for the line methods state NOT to spread it out.

I don't do the spread method anymore. I would just put a BB sized dot on the center of the CPU and put the cooler on.

Ah ok. The issue I had when I did that was that there was a large proportion of the surface which was not covered. The temps went up to 55 degrees idle from about 40. I would like to give the method described a try but just want to know if it will leak or not really. :)

55 idle is quite hot, even for the stock intel cooler. You could try a little larger grain of rice sized bit of thermal paste on the CPU then attaching the cooler and see what kind of spread you get. For the most part the hottest part of the CPU is directly in the center (that's where the DIE is), so as long as that part is covered is the most important part. Of course having a nice even coverage across wherever the heatsink is sitting on the CPU itself is ideal too. The AS5 touching the motherboard isn't a large issue, unless the power was already on (and it was on something electical). You can always clean it up with some isopropyl alcohol and a q-tip/paper towel/etc.

This piece of information from your other thread would be helpful here for example - .
The CPU cooler is a stock intel cooler. There is no case fan working at the moment but as I say the case is totally open.
You need case airflow, period.

So... I merged like subject threads so people have a bigger picture of things. :)

That makes a pretty big difference. Can you put a box fan or similar blowing over it and see if the Temps decrease?

Are you 100% sure, that stock cooler is placed correctly? When I first saw this pushpin mount I was kinda confused about it and it was pretty easy to mount it wrong.

Too much thermal paste won't cause overheating. It cause that everything around CPU will be messed, but pressure from mount will do its job and there always be a thin layer.

Thank you all for the answers.

@ Janus: I will give the box fan idea a go.

@ Earthdog - Ty.

@ everyone: I think there is still clearly an issue with thermal paste. I wonder if the original temps were actually that bad as well. Could the fact that the voltage is 1.3V be causing too much heat (on an E7500)?

@ Bartz: I am actually 100% not sure if the fan has been placed correctly. The fact that it wasn't fully spread out could indicate not. It seems to be tight to the board. I will look into this.

Bartz is correct about the OEM push-pin locks, they are a general PITA and you must make sure they are all turned and locked the same.

I made the error of too much AS5 years ago and it ran off one side onto the CPU pins and wouldn't run. After much cleaning with a swab and alcohol it was cleaned enough to make good contact. So, the recommendations of a small size drop is accurate, "More is not better."

I tried a large fan (500mm) placed next to the open case. The temps dropped 2 or 3 degrees celcius over a period of ten minutes.

Last edited:
I would imagine the heatsink isn't seated properly then...

Did you try pushing firmly down on the heatsink and see if temps drop?

I tried pushing down hard on the centre of the intel stock cooler once temperatures and cpu activity had settled. RealTemp reported no drop in temperature and it remained a steady 50 degrees celcius.

Keep in mind that those E Intel chips have a history of incorrect temp readings (not THAT 50C bad however).

I'm running an E7500 in my sig with a mild overclock next to me, stock voltage, stock cooling, and it sits in a cool basement
shop at 29C and 38 C respectively per core. I haven't run it in over a few hours. I KNOW that's not an accurate temp @ 22C ambient.

This E8500 three feet away sits at ~32C for both cores.

Last edited:
Hi RollingThunder,

I think it might actually be as you describe. I think there is a sensor test which I may run (something to do with prime95/real temp).

I do think that the thermal paste can be better applied however as there is a 10 degree difference in idle temperatures between the original thermal paste and the current application.

Check out these photos of the latest line method I tried this evening: It ran at 45 degrees celcius idle. IMG_0362.JPG

Notice that there are several imperfections on the CPUs surface on the IHS.

Back