• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Application problems thermal paste

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
That is not adequate coverage...

Try to spread it with a credit card or something, but that is not a good spread so there isn't a lot of pressure/contact from the cooler.

Ty Earthdog this is useful stuff.

I have closed the pins on the cooler and by pressing down when the system is on does not seem to have an effect on temps, so it is as tight as I am likely to get it. Maybe that pattern can also occur because I used a very thin line.

It was a round splodge which would probably be described as not adequate coverage.

I will look at some more guides to check I have the heatsink applied as tight as possible. If I can't get it any tighter then I will apply one of the methods to flatten it out before the Heatsink squishes it.

the problem is with the locking mechanism and making sure the studs go through the board and lock down properly.

and 'pea sized dot' of thermal paste is supposed to be about a 5mm dot of thermal paste, far bigger than any BB i have ever seen.

First thing is first, are you cleaning the cpu and heat sink surfaces correctly? should be using 91% Isopropyl alcohol and q tips to clean the surfaces thoroughly.

Second, on the picture you posted it seems you are applying the thermal paste horizontally, should be vertically. Now I don't believe this will make a huge deal with correct coverage because the die is more squared. However you aren't getting good coverage, use slightly more paste than you used when you did with the picture but do the line vertically.

EDIT: Here you go http://www.arcticsilver.com/intel_application_method.html# C2D calls for vetical line, click on it and it will show you what it should look like.

You really need to look at the back of the mobo to see if the pins are fully seated/locked with the push pin locking coolers.

Mobo needs to come out, install cooler, put mobo back in.

I managed to get normal temps 69 tops under load in heaven benchmark, mid 30s idle and 85 under intel burn test by applying the thermal paste on to the cooler and squishing it down manually before applying to CPU. Used pea method.

@SuperTuner - Good spot on that one. I was confused by the two external indented notches on the rim of the CPU. I was basing where to draw the line based on that and not on the big indent on the base of the CPU. In fact my CPU and the example in the vertical line method have the two small side rim notches in a different position relative to the big CPU indent.

this is why i like arctic mx-2. it spreads easier. as5 is like half evaporated toothpaste and mx-2 is like mayonaise. spreads paper thin with no effort and avoids these problems. it doesn't separate like as5 either. lasts 8 years according to arctic.

does mx-2 run easier though. In the method I ended up using, I wonder if less viscous thermal compounds would run onto the motherboard if you applied too much (easily done). Not sure if that is really a major deal though (if it runs) but I read AS5 can cause problems if it touches circuits or something.

does mx-2 run easier though. In the method I ended up using, I wonder if less viscous thermal compounds would run onto the motherboard if you applied too much (easily done). Not sure if that is really a major deal though (if it runs) but I read AS5 can cause problems if it touches circuits or something.

not at all. it stays where you put it and you can use JUST ENOUGH because it spreads so well. use a dot the size of a bb right exactly in the middle and lower the cooler very carefully so it's perfectly centered and twist it back and forth just a tiny but while tightening down to make sure. it always spreads perfectly for me and it's made of ceramic or something so it never burns or dries out for 8 years apparently.

Back