• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Appropriate use of Modmytoys PWM distributor

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Trivius

For a pending WC upgrade, I am planning on using two PWM D5 pumps, two 120mm PWM fans and two 140mm PWM fans (both sets will be NB fans), in conjunction with one four pin Mymytoys PWM distributor. However, I would like to confirm that they can be used in such a manner? Meaning, (1) when using such a distributor do all the attachments need to run on the same RPM or does that not matter and (2) is that too much to run on one distributor?

I was planning on using a y-splitter for to connect both pumps to the distributor, and y-splitters for each of the two sets of PWM fans, connecting the distributor to the MOBO. So there would be three connections, each with two items attached; with the pumps providing their own power, while the four fans would be drawing all of their power from the MOBO.

...Or is there a better way to do this? Also when connecting to the MOBO for PWM fans, are all those connections based upon a single monitoring point, or is each for a specific part of the MOBO (in other words, does it matter where a PWM device is plugged into for a set of fans to wind up and down according to say overall temperature of the MOBO, CPU, or whatever)?

Last edited:
In my opinion, I would not do this. Motherboard fan header limits are usually 1 amp or 12w. If you look at your fans, you will see the amps or watts that they draw. If it is in amps, just multiply that by 12 to get the watts. They may say they draw .28 amps, so that's 3.36w. 4 x 3.36 is over 12w and could burn out the motherboard fan header. Even if they draw much less power, say a fan that runs on 1w, there is the start up power for the fan which could be over 3 watts. During the fan start up, it could kill the header.

If you have two devices plugged into one fan header, you only get one RPM for both devices. I'd use a Y for your pumps and plug those into the CPU fan header. This way if your pumps don't start, you can set the CPU fan warning to 600rpm and it will shut off.

A powered splitter cable would be better, assuming the PWM signal is strong enough to drive two pumps and four fans.
If not, you need a PWM signal booster or a dedicated controller.
I make boosters: http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?p=7674129#post7674129

So I could then use a y-connector for each of the two-sets (2-120mm, 2-140mm, and dual-pumps) leading into each of the three connectors on the powered splitter, right (along with the Molex connector and the single PWM lead plugged into the MOBO' PWM next to the CPU)? ...or is that too much for just one lead?

I was wondering about that on the Mymytoys distributors, being that there is no external power being provided to them, thus what good are they (I had thought perhaps there was some capacitor or something involved that multiplied the power, but guess not)? Save for example this one (which seems to be slightly overkill): http://www.frozencpu.com/products/2..._MMT-PCB-4-8P2M1S.html?id=DRAxiyiL&mv_pc=1516

...Or this this still a better option, if using y-splitters is still a bad idea: http://www.frozencpu.com/products/1...able_AK-CBFA03-45.html?id=DRAxiyiL&mv_pc=1177

or

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/1...Black_Black.html?id=DRAxiyiL&mv_pc=1603#blank

ETA:

This one seems to perhaps be the best option, surely it provides enough power, minimizes cables, provides future expansion, includes pin covers to prevent shortouts, etc. http://www.frozencpu.com/products/2...-PWM-SPL-ST.html?id=DRAxiyiL&mv_pc=1906#blank

Last edited:
Me thinks you'ld be better off with a Swiftech powered 8-way PWM splitter.
The modmytoys are just fan splitters and draw power from the MB header.. and the MB would not be able to handle the power draw of a D5 pump (18w) + fans

But TWO of those Akasa cables would do at at pinch ....

if depends if you really have TWO PWM headers on the MB... most boards the only true PWM header is CPU_FAN1 ; All others are voltage controlled, even the OPT_FAN (yes i'm looking at you ASUS, you liars) Some hi-end/gaming boards have TWO PWM MB Headers, but use the same temp sensor source (cpu), and even rarer are those which have independent PWM channels, with one temp sensor on CPU, and the other sensor on something else (vrm, "northbridge" plex , case, ...)

So it all depends on the MB.. you should check the manual & the (uefi) BIOS to find out what is what, and if you can set up two separate curves/ramps

If there is really only one channel, then a Swiftech 8-way allows you to hook up all fans + pump(s) and control their speed (in %) in function of load.

Nice. I will get a Swiftech, along with a Akasa cable as a backup and a few y-connectors (as I presume those will be pefectly safe to use, so long that I do not overload it with too many connections that is). And great info Rollie, thanks!

I don't know if the Swiftech splitter boosts the PWM signal or not, if not your motherboard may or may not put out a strong enough signal to control all the stuff. If it does (and it may well, the required bits are very small), that'll do nicely for you.

SATA connectors are rated for 3 amps / voltage, so 36W of 12V. If your combined fans/pumps/etc. require more than that you may want to try to find a splitter with a Molex as they're rated for 11 amps.

Back