• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Are all fans???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MtSpawn

Registered
Are all fans adjustable?? I want to put a fan controller in my case but I was wondering if I need to get some different fans for it??? Who makes good fans?? And what is a good controller to go with? Im thinking about Nexus Fan Controller Panel. What do you think of it??

Most fans can be adjusted via rheobus. I'm not too sure about the ones that come with their own speed controllers though. I've gotten some pretty good fans from Ceradyna. While they're not much to look at, they get the job done quite well. As for the Nexus well... there have been issues with this manufacturer. Just schroll down the thread abit more to see what I mean.

:EDIT:

The only fans that shouldn't be hooked up to a rheobus are AC ones. Any 4-pin molex or 3-pin MoBo DC fan will work with a rheobus.

lot's of people make good fans, but you don't need special fans to put on a rheobus that's the whole point of a rheobus to control fans that don't have individual controllers

the nexus is pretty much overpriced you could look for a cheaper one or build one yourself, but if you're a newbie i don't reccomend the latter

MtSpawn said:
what kinda parts are needed to make one

Basically, the only component you need is this http://www.allelectronics.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi?category=search&item=RHE-15&type=store
That is a rheostat. You attach 12V line to the middle metal tab, and the fan's 12v line to one of the sides(when you turn the know to that side it will go faster). To connect them you can use those quick connect things or soldering. Those Rheos will handle 15W and a tornado is 10W I think so they wont burn up( Watts=Voltage*Amps if I'm not mistaken). Also DON't go to RadioShack for your rheos, they sell low Wattage rheos which will burn up under higher speed fans for three times as much. PM me if you need more help.

edit: I just remebered standard shipping from allelectronics is $6. It would still probably be cheaper to buy 2 from there then radioshack still though. Especially since they are 15W

ryuen said:
nexuses are like 25 now. you can build the same for maybe 15?
you could get 5x $1.65 rheos + $6 shipping from allelectronics which is quite cheap.

Back