• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Are microATX boards good?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JSK100

Registered
Hey guys. I just bought my first computer and finally just finished building it. I was going over my parts when I realized that rather than getting a standard ATX motherboard I bought a mATX motherboard. I'm wondering if this really matters. I realize it's a smaller form factor motherboard, but does this mean less performance? Or does it just mean less spots for certain things.....

Should I return it (I have 30 days), and pick up a new one? Thanks.

Well, it depends on pretty much everything else too. List your entire system for us, then tell us what you plan on doing with it.

Well, it depends on pretty much everything else too. List your entire system for us, then tell us what you plan on doing with it.

Alright,
Lite-ON black SATA DVD-ROM
Western Digital Caviar Green 750gig sata 3.0 harddrive
OCZ AMD Black Edition 4GB DDR3 1600
AMD Phenom II X4 945 Deneb 3.0 Ghz
Antec BP550 Plus 550W
Saphire Radeon HD 5770
Gigabyte GA-880GMA-UD2h AM3 AMD 880g SATA 6/gb/s USB 3.0 HDMI Micro ATX AMD MOTHERBOARD
Rosewill Challenger Case

I plan on doing high definition video editing (adobe after effects, etc), gaming, and internet use, etc. Basically everything. :)

You didn't mention OC'ing; does that mean you'll be running this at stock speeds (or only a very mild OC)? If so, an mATX is usually OK for that. Personally, I don't trust boards without heatsinks on the MOSFETs (that's the double row of chips by the CPU on the opposite side from the RAM). If you're going to OC, even a mild one, I'd get some heatsinks for those ...

Most new micro boards are overclocking really good and for stock clocks there is no difference if it's micro atx or full atx. I haven't got any problems with Gigabyte UD series boards.

You didn't mention OC'ing; does that mean you'll be running this at stock speeds (or only a very mild OC)? If so, an mATX is usually OK for that. Personally, I don't trust boards without heatsinks on the MOSFETs (that's the double row of chips by the CPU on the opposite side from the RAM). If you're going to OC, even a mild one, I'd get some heatsinks for those ...

+1 to that. Un-cooled MOSFETS + overclocking can get really hot, really quickly.

It really depends whether you plan on overclocking and how far you want to push it. If you want the strongest chipset, you may seek out an 890FX board. Here are Newegg's selections. Biostar's offering is avaiable open-box for only $10 more than you paid. I've got no experience with it, but from the specs, it looks like a decent performer.

+1 to that. Un-cooled MOSFETS + overclocking can get really hot, really quickly.

It really depends whether you plan on overclocking and how far you want to push it. If you want the strongest chipset, you may seek out an 890FX board. Here are Newegg's selections. Biostar's offering is avaiable open-box for only $10 more than you paid. I've got no experience with it, but from the specs, it looks like a decent performer.

Well, as of right now, I'm not really looking to overclock, but I'm thinking in the future I'm probably going to want too. I found the open box one, but what does it exactly mean to be "open box"? Is it used or just no box?...

Well, as of right now, I'm not really looking to overclock, but I'm thinking in the future I'm probably going to want too. I found the open box one, but what does it exactly mean to be "open box"? Is it used or just no box?...

EDIT: Just read on newegg what open box is. Basically another word for used. :p Anyways, I'm considering getting for 10 more dollars the same mobo that I have but in normal form factor. I guess just in case I'd want to go crossfire or overclock. Do you guys think it's the right thing to do? And how do I go about doing this. Is it going to cost me a crap load to return...?

I bought a combo deal which the monitor was included with. Am I going to have to pay some money because of that?

I've bought open-box stuff before and it's been just like new; the warranty was the only loss. They don't guarantee all accessories are included though. Up to you whether it's worth it to you. If you've got the cash, it doesn't hurt to be safe.

If the board you are talking about has the same lack of MOSFET heatsinks, I'd steer clear if you plan on overclocking.

No idea about the combo stuff. Start a Newegg live chat, that's the quickest way to find out. Their reps are very knowledgeable and quick to respond.

I've bought open-box stuff before and it's been just like new; the warranty was the only loss. They don't guarantee all accessories are included though. Up to you whether it's worth it to you. If you've got the cash, it doesn't hurt to be safe.

If the board you are talking about has the same lack of MOSFET heatsinks, I'd steer clear if you plan on overclocking.

No idea about the combo stuff. Start a Newegg live chat, that's the quickest way to find out. Their reps are very knowledgeable and quick to respond.

Alright thanks.

Also, I'm talking about this board - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128444

Is that one fine?

Nope, still no MOSFET heat sinks. You can overclock, but not far and you'll run the risk of blowing a MOSFET.

MOSFETS are what supply the power to the CPU; when the CPU is under load, they heat up. If you overclock and increase voltage to the CPU, under load, they get even hotter. Without something to dissipate the heat, they can die early deaths.

This ASUS isn't that much more expensive and does have a MOSFET heat sink (look next tho the rear i/o), FWIW.

Nope, still no MOSFET heat sinks. You can overclock, but not far and you'll run the risk of blowing a MOSFET.

MOSFETS are what supply the power to the CPU; when the CPU is under load, they heat up. If you overclock and increase voltage to the CPU, under load, they get even hotter. Without something to dissipate the heat, they can die early deaths.

This ASUS isn't that much more expensive and does have a MOSFET heat sink (look next tho the rear i/o), FWIW.

Alright, thanks.

You can also get either of the boards you linked just be sure to also get some after-market heatsinks for their MOSFETs. They run $10-15 depending on what you need for your board ...

I sent the RMA and I think I'm going to get the Asus that he recommended.

Thanks.

Back