• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Are my temps too high for more voltage?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DaBigJ

I really want to hit 1800 mhz with my 1900+ palomino, but I just can't seem to. I was thinking about volt modding my motherboard to get more voltage, but I'm not sure if my temps are too high for that.

idle temp: 34 C
max load temp: 45 C
running at 1.85 volts and 1768 mhz

That's with an SLK-800 and a 48.5 cfm variable speed YS-Tech fan. (also, are those temps reasonable with this HSF combo?)

What kind of temps would I need to hit 1800 mhz. (keep in mind that it can run at that speed, but gets errors in Prime95 after a couple hours.

And finally: Are those temps too high to think about setting my voltage higher than 1.85?

Those temps are a little high but not too bad. Try to keep it under 50C at load. I'm pretty sure this FIC board does not use On-die temps either. What stepping is your 1900+? You can try using a fan that pushes more air(maybe a 68 cfm delta) and apply a very thin layer of AS3. That may help your temps.

Also, what are your system temps? It's entirely possible that you have room for improvement simply by increasing the airflow through the case, and lowering the internal ambient temperature. Cooler air cools better, obviously.

You also didn't say if your pally was unlocked, but I'd say 12x147 = a big NO. I highly suggest unlocking your palomino, lowering the multiplier, and trying 11x166. Assuming your memory can handle 166mhz (and it just might) you'll have 1.84 ghz, plus a wider data transit via a higher FSB, which will result in more general performance. (Plus, you'll be SPOT ON for a 1/5th divider, so no corruption due to out of spec pci divider.)

Wait, does the KT266 have a 1/5th divider? I don't even know. If not, that could be the reason you can't clock any higher.

In any event, unlocking will also allow you to choose a higher multiplier if you can't increase your FSB beyond 147, so you could do 12.5 x 144, for example, for exactly 1.8ghz.

It's really not that hard. It sounds scary, but it really does work, assuming you carefully follow the guides' directions.

From what i've read the pally's can take a lot of voltage.
I agree with InThrees, its quite possible your case temp is 33°C and better air flow would help considerably with cooling.
Or a duct to your hsf supplying cool air from outside the case.
Either way i think you may want to work on the cooling part before the volt mod part :p

InThrees said:
You also didn't say if your pally was unlocked, but I'd say 12x147 = a big NO. I highly suggest unlocking your palomino, lowering the multiplier, and trying 11x166. Assuming your memory can handle 166mhz (and it just might) you'll have 1.84 ghz, plus a wider data transit via a higher FSB, which will result in more general performance. (Plus, you'll be SPOT ON for a 1/5th divider, so no corruption due to out of spec pci divider.)
What's wrong with 12x147? Is it just that the pci is getting out of spec? It's currently at 36 mhz, and my hardware is handling it just fine (I've defragged multiple times, resulting in no corruption, and my network cards, both of them, seem to be holding up). I believe my pci can even go somewhat higher without problems.

If you were to assume my memory were generic pc2100 memory, what are the chances of it hitting 166 mhz? If not 166, how high do you think it could go?

InThrees said:
Wait, does the KT266 have a 1/5th divider? I don't even know. If not, that could be the reason you can't clock any higher.
This chipset isn't supposed to have a 1/5th divider, but my motherboard has an "unofficial" one. (read that a while back)

InThrees said:
In any event, unlocking will also allow you to choose a higher multiplier if you can't increase your FSB beyond 147, so you could do 12.5 x 144, for example, for exactly 1.8ghz.
That's an idea, but I'd rather stay at 1768 mhz than have only 144 fsb as compared to 147 or 150 (1800 mhz)

Lot of questions, and sorry I didn't see the PM, I'm bad about those missing those.

Anyway, a few suggestions.

We need to establish a few things, in a certain order.

First, we need to establish if your board has a 1/5th divider, aka... "Can I boot into 166FSB and have my stuff work."

Since you can't do that at 12x, you need to try it at 9x or 10x. Underclock the chip simply to see if your setup will even ALLOW an FSB of 166.

You'll need to unlock your chip to do that. It sounds scary, it seems daunting, but once you're done, you'll call up all your friends with XPs and offer to do it for them, I promise. Just buy AS3 if you don't have any, some rear window defogger tape, qtips, isopropyl alcohol, and follow any of the numerous guides posted around.

Anyway, the reason we want to do this is to establish the previously mentioned "can I go 166?" *AND* your frequency ceiling. You can't do 12x166. This could be because your board doesn't have a 1/5th, because your memory can't do 166, or because your processor can't do 1992 mhz. Guess which one I think it is? That's right, you probably don't have a 2ghz-on-air cpu.

Anyway, now, having completed that, we'll ASSUME that you booted at 9 or 10x 166 with no problems. You can now increase the multiplier in steps, testing at each, to see where the chip becomes unstable.

Doing it this way, you WILL find out just what your chip can do, and you WILL be a lot happier if you can boot at any multi x 166, believe me. ESPECIALLY if your memory can do cas2 at that speed. Odds are good it can't, but if it can, you'll be very happy.

Also, I'd take an overclock at 100mhz less overall with a 166fsb over an OC with 100mhz more overall with an FSB in the 140s.

Now you just have to steel yourself to unlock it. You're already poisoned with the OC mentality, now it's just a matter of giving in to the dark side and CLAIMING YOUR EVIL BIRTHRIGHT, MUHUHAHAHA*cough*

Hehehe. Anyway, let's hear those questions. I'm gonna go right now and try to figure out how to get PM Notification via email so I don't miss any more. =)

And good luck!

First of all: My board CAN do 166 mhz fsb with the pci at 33. I guess I'll have to see if the memory can handle it though.... That's a whole 'nother problem, as you can see below.

I'm not sure that this board can set the multipliers. Nowhere in the bios can I find this option. However, there seems to be a single jumper on the board that has something to do with multipliers.

It is labeled ADR_EN which means Auto Detect Ratio ... EN (my voltage auto detect jumper is labeled ADV_EN). Now, if I take this ADR_EN jumper off, what is going to happen? Will I magically get the option to change my multiplier in the bios? Or do I need a newer version of my bios? ?? There are no dipswitches near this jumper for setting the multiplier.

Now, I believe I can close only certain bridges so that I can lock my processor at a new multiplier. Is this right? If so, I could use this method instead of actually unlocking my processor, correct?

Ok, I just shut down and removed the jumper labeled ADR_EN. It did nothing. (of course, I'm not unlocked....) The jumper is sitting on the desk while I type this.

edit: would a newer revision of my bios help, perhaps?

Back