• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Are PDA's worth it?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Subaru said:

Well you can try the Sony P800 or P900. These things cost alot but they have all the options you had asked for!

I have a SonyEricsson P800, and I have to say it's great, but there are a couple of problems.

It DOES have an MP3 player, a digital camera (640x480, good enough I suppose), a Tri-Band phone with Speakerphone (the speaker can also play your music, or you can use the headphones) and a purty touchscreen.

The only problems are battery life is a bit iffy - if I'm listening to music on the speaker, it goes down about 1% every 4 mins, but the real killer is if i'm browsing the internet with GPRS over it - the battery practically melts lol!

Some people love the p800 (me) whilst some hate it, so i'd advise going to try one out in the shop before you commit a load of money to one.

Starting with an HP 95LX, I haven't left the house without PDA in the last 10 years. The Palm T3 is my current favorite.

One of the issues with a Treo type device is how do you access information or enter it while on the phone? Then there is battery life. If your all in one units battery is dead, so is your PDA...

Battery life when playing MP3s may be an issue. The way around this for a Palm is the battery sled or a battery extender for a Clie.

Here are some resources for you:

Clie Source

Brighthand

PalmOneCity

Subaru said:
Also, if you're still interested in the Motorola Phone, Amazon.com have this phone for FREE if you sign up for ATT 2 year contract or $50 with a 1 year contract.

Just check out this fatwallet forum to see how people do it.
http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/mes...readid=249400&highlight_key=y&keyword1=mpx200

Or go directly to it:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/stores/detail/-/wireless/B0000DIXEV//104-6939616-5323943

Yeah, I know about that, but their service plans are pricey! My T-Mobile is $39.99 for 1000 minutes, that is $50 for 600... How do you like their service?

--Illah

Well, I don't have ATT because I'd unlock my phone. I'm currently on a family plan with my g/f( save us alot of $$!! :) ) Well for being their customers for a year, they gave me unlimited access to internet with unlimited data for 2.99/mo.

But we might change to verizon which is having the best signals in my area. Plus their 1200 minutes family plans are only 79.99, while our is 99.99

orange400 said:
Illah, I gig the wave twisters artvar!

Haha, not many people get it :)

So Subaru, please explain this unlocking...I've heard about it but I don't know much about it. I'm on T-Mobile and the no-roaming & high minute plan is great for me, especially on trips. I too was planning the switch to a family plan with my girl. Looking on the site unlimited data is $5 or $10 extra per month depending on the plan. I can handle that :)

--Illah

Illah said:

Haha, not many people get it :)

So Subaru, please explain this unlocking...I've heard about it but I don't know much about it. I'm on T-Mobile and the no-roaming & high minute plan is great for me, especially on trips. I too was planning the switch to a family plan with my girl. Looking on the site unlimited data is $5 or $10 extra per month depending on the plan. I can handle that :)

--Illah

I'm not Subaru, but let me try this.

You can get tri-band world phones that are unlocked, can be used with any GSM service (T-Mobile, AT&T GSM, Cingular GSM, and any other in the world using 900/1800/1900 mHz GSM networks)

There are, i think, ways to unlock phones. But most of that information i've seen involved European, and Japanese phones. They are so far ahead of us.

PS
Q-bert is too ill

Last edited:
Back