• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Are these temps normal for 4790k on Water?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GojiraCometh

CPU: Intel i7-4970k
CPU Block: EKWb Supreme MX
Radiators: 1x360mm(aquacool) and 1x240mm(xspc)
Pump: Variable D5 / Photon 170mm Reservoir Combo. Set to Highest Power (5/5)
Fans: Lots of them, Corsair SP's, Cougar's, etc.
GPUs: 2 x gtx 980 reference
GPU Block: EKWB Nickel

(NYC Metro Area) Temps Right now: 73 degrees in apartment, 53 degrees outside

CPU and GPU are currently: stock ; defaults ;

20160315_124006.jpg
20160315_124031.jpg
20160315_124043.jpg
20160315_124107.jpg
20160315_124122.jpg
20160315_124253.jpg
20160315_124336.jpg
20160311_212315.jpg
20160311_212345.jpg

Temps During Various Tests:
1 - Folding @ Home:
test_folding@home.JPG

2 - Intel XTU CPU Stress Test:
test_intelxtu.JPG

3 - Prime 95 v28.7,build1 (I believe this version was problematic for my cpu)
test_prime95.JPG

I have a few questions:
1 - Is my loop set up correctly for the gear I have?
2 - Are my temps normal? (minus the prime95 temps bc I believe there is a well known issue with high temps on Haswell chips for certain Prime95 versions)
3 - Is it normal to see 80 degrees on a warmer/nicer day under full load?
4 - What can I improve/change for better temps/efficiency/power.

Thanks in advance for your input.

- - - Updated - - -

Idle temps are btw 28 and 32 on cpu/gpus
Here is the overall flow:
20160311_212345.jpg

Might be more helpful if an admin could move this to water-cooling section but I think it applies to all the Haswell genius's in this section too.

Might be more helpful if an admin could move this to water-cooling section but I think it applies to all the Haswell genius's in this section too.

Moved to here and added "on Water" to your title.

Really nice looking rig Gojira! :thup:

looks to me that the vcore is a little high for the clock speed, need to attend to that.
basic layout looks good.
for prime 95 with haswell use 26.6, but I just use xtu.

A couple of questions.
How long were those tests running? You will need a minimum of half an hour at full load on CPU and GPU to get your true numbers.

I am pretty sure that those GPU blocks need to flow in a specific direction. If that is the case, one of them is hooked up backwards which will affect flow rate.

Loop order is fine and the build looks great.

Last edited:
Sweet looking rig. I want to also speculate your V-core is a little high for those clocks. Also, what are your inside case temps? I wonder how much drop you would have to the input flow temp if the reservoir was outside the case. The cooler the input flow temp I would imagine the more heat the fluid could pull off the CPU.

I wonder how much drop you would have to the input flow temp if the reservoir was outside the case. The cooler the input flow temp I would imagine the more heat the fluid could pull off the CPU.

Zero. It does not work like that.

I am pretty sure that those GPU blocks need to flow in a specific direction. If that is the case, one of them is hooked up backwards which will affect flow rate.

That is not the case, at least for the reference blocks. However, flow rates can be improved by hooking the GPUs up in parallel, without sacrificing much in temps.

Overall your temps look just about right for that amount of rad. The CPU's temps does seem a bit high for a setup like yours. As the fellow members pointed out, you could possible tweak your voltage a bit lower and that should reduce those temps. If the ambient temps rise, you should see that carried to the loop as well. GPU's are really usually steady when it comes to temps. CPU's are more sensitive.

I would have recommended in just distilled water and used colored tubing and LEDs for special effects since distilled water has the highest thermal properties, in other words it will carry more heat if its not filled with "stuff" in it but its not big deal. Just make sure you maintain.

Regardless you have a nice rig and thanks for the pics. :salute:

Have a 4790k, they run hotter than the new i7-6700k. I think 4790k can run up to 90C though,but that is max temp don`t like that. I took the lid off mine and reapplied good thermal compound,helped. Nice looking rig. Not too hard to de lid, just be careful and take it slow, good examples on youtube on how to do it. Also looks like top rad in pic missing fan ,no room?

Back