• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FEATURED Are you using Classic Shell with Windows 10?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Are you using classic shell with your version of Windows 10?

• Not using it, but interested in the future

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Metro would have been great-if they had originally provided the option to disable it. That set the tone for M$' attitude going forward and set the tone for a lot of consumer's attitudes the same way. After that with W8, and all the way through to W10, M$ has customers, but a lot fewer fans/friends. For example, if I ran across Satya Nadella on fire at a bus stop, I wouldn't drink free beer to wizz on him.

Agreed, if we had been given the choice between both I'm sure most that argued against Metro would at least have given it a more extensive look-over so to speak, might even have second thoughts about it, but being forced to do anything is not really in (most) of our nature to like. The fact that it was a way to compel us to get touchscreen monitors (or designed towards laptops with touchscreen) really didn't help either :(
Another thing that would have been nice would have been M$ learning the lesson, but what happens ? Win10 comes with a very awkward mismatch of classic and Metro that -again- most don't like. Do they change it ? Nah what for, it's only their costumer base anyway, nothing to lose right ? I'm reasonably sure that if the upgrade hadn't been free (aka shoved down our throats), most if us would try but go right back to our default.

Question to ask though, did they do it JUST to push the new look or was it as well to lock more system settings as they have done with each Windows iteration ? I miss how we could change the UI look with XP/7, what was the program called, WindowBlinds ?

Last edited:
The big push was for integration with touch devices and that becoming the big thing. A unified OS for touch and PC so to speak. Its an even more useful interface when you can touch it.

I was actually among the very first wave to try the Windows 8 Developer's Preview, and kept it on a dual boot tower and devoted a Toshiba laptop to it up until it was RT'd and they wanted money for it. It was kind of neat, and snappy, for most of its development, and I (and quite a few others) figured the Metro would remain optional, like it was in the DP. The actual release was pretty far off the DP mark when it hit the shelves. It was terrible, frankly. It was overwhelmingly less popular than Vista (and still is, by the numbers) and an absolute fail. By the time the "8.1" update hit it was too little, too late. I believe that was in large part due to M$' decision to tell consumers they'll take what they get and like it.

That's why their tactics changed with W10. Nadella leaned the wrong lesson from the W8 fiasco. Instead of listening to consumers, he thought that meant he had to be sneaky and more arrogant, force us to do what he wanted. That level of disregard and outright hostility I blame on a cultural difference. You can pull that crap in India, but it will backfire here. The percentage of computers using the Waffen OS is in no way indicative of the the level of acceptance.

They've caved a little, in some areas, but it amounts to no more than throwing scraps at a particularly whiny dog. They've left the market ripe for a new OS, but I haven't seen any real strong efforts to take advantage of that opening. It won't last forever, because eventually the dog gets used to being kicked and accepts it.

perhaps we should all just go back to pc's roots, and run linux via CLI only, or better yet MS DOS because that's the original and cooler way to do it i mean if the old ways are best ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ , plus dont have to worry about anyone spying on you, win win.

2nqf0i.jpg

A big problem I see is Microsoft spent so much time and effort building up the start menu, only to throw it all away with Windows 8. While it's utility has slightly improved with the standard Windows 10 start menu, it's still a far cry from that of the Windows 7, and that's why I use classic shell. It restores functionality to Windows, first and foremost.

Interested to know, does anyone here use Start 10? I have the same poll going on at TPU and seems like a good chuck of those folks are using it over Classic Shell / Open Shell. Please post up some screenshots of the start 10 menu if you've got it.

Here is a good article comparing and contrasting the differences between Start 10 and Classic Shell...
InfoWorld Start10 vs Classic Shell

And here is my start menu as it sits right now....

Captureclassicshell.PNG

I just switched to Start Menu X. A much better replacement than classic shell, which is effectively dead. For MS to try and pretend the OS is now along the lines of a t/s 'smart device', totally breaking the desktop feel, is for all practical purposes, pathetic imo. It was not a push to give the masses a cool TS interface, but rather a ruse to make the desktop environment a clone of the android one, including all of the pervasive privacy issues.
The poll should really be who all is using a TS monitor with windows 10.

Last edited:
You know what? Wish i could time travel and get back to my good old frienx windows xp...

You know what? Wish i could time travel and get back to my good old frienx windows xp...

you dont need a time machine for that friend, c6 posted a guide to isntall xp on even the newest motherboards its somewhere, im sure he might chyme in soon to let you know where.

A much better replacement than classic shell, which is effectively dead.

Just FYI Open Shell (Classic Shell's direct source replacement) was updated in September of this year and is due for another update once Microsoft gets 1809 sorted out. So the torch is being carried forward.

I just switched to Start Menu X. A much better replacement than classic shell

Would you mind posting up a screenshot of your start menu? I'd like to see how it looks compared to classic shell.

What qualities or attributes do you like about Start Menu X that Classic Shell is lacking?

perhaps we should all just go back to pc's roots, and run linux via CLI only, or better yet MS DOS because that's the original and cooler way to do it i mean if the old ways are best ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ , plus dont have to worry about anyone spying on you, win win.

With that logic we might as well all go back to tape drives and IBSYS. It's okay to mod an operating system for increased functionality. That's not regression.

Or, just use the OS we prefer without the code monkeys at Redmond trying to twist anyone's arm. That would work, too.

It's "Pointy-haired Boss", not "Pointy-haired programmer". The monkeys are doing what they're told to do to get paid.

With that logic we might as well all go back to tape drives and IBSYS. It's okay to mod an operating system for increased functionality. That's not regression.
I was referring to the ones wishing we were still on win7 lol. Also tape druves are still used every day generally the standard for backups.

That isn't back for some... many... a lot... of large organizations. Tape backup is still a much less expensive media than disk to disk. There is D 2 D 2 Tape as well. But, that is a bit off topic here.

On topic, lol, is it really increased functionality? Or is it the same functionality but in a way that is more familiar and its that which makes it feel better?

is it really increased functionality? Or is it the same functionality but in a way that is more familiar and its that which makes it feel better?

Feels better = works familiarly = get **** done faster = increased functionality (of the person BKAC, at least)

Back