• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FEATURED Are you using Classic Shell with Windows 10?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Are you using classic shell with your version of Windows 10?

• Not using it, but interested in the future

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Feels better = works familiarly = get **** done faster = increased functionality (of the person BKAC, at least)
Ahh, so I have increased functionality in using W10. To me, it feels better = work familiarly = get **** done faster = increased functionality over previous GUIs.

I understand. :)

Ahh, so I have increased functionality in using W10. To me, it feels better = work familiarly = get **** done faster = increased functionality over previous GUIs.

I understand. :)

What exactly does the Win10 GUI do better than the old one? Different is not inherently bad, but it does reduce effective usage until you're used to it enough for it to not be different anymore (and then the old UI might be different enough to slow you down until you get used to it again, vice versa ad infinitum), but I don't see how anything in the new UI is inherently better.

Let's call a spade a spade then... the same functionality as previous GUIs... potentially more for some, less for others? Regardless, once familiar, I highly doubt it hinders users. But that is the thing... getting used to it. Some don't want to take the time for whatever reason. I mean, there isn't much inherently better about previous GUIs and start menus, is there? Just that familiarty which bred efficiency?

Last edited:
I mean, there isn't much inherently better about previous GUIs and start menus, is there? Just that familiarty which bred efficiency?

One could argue that the start menu of Windows 7 wins out over that of XP. By supplying more data or intel to the end user, their time can be spent more productively. Not to mention the increased search functionality.

One can also argue the start menu of W8/8.1/10 wins out over 7 as it supplies more data/intel to the end user... right? IMO, at a single glance, the w10 configuration actually provides MORE data than previous start menus. The search functionality has also expanded with W10 as well. With that in mind, couldn't a user be just as, if not more, productive that way as well? It just takes time to learn it is all.

You also described a situation where a NEWER OS and its setup is beter than old... kind of the opposite thing going on here with users who install extra software to reconfigure new software to look like old....

Last edited:
Classic Shell is just my preference for productivity; we could go back and forth like this all day long. I can't speak for anyone else's method, I can only speak for myself. I was just highlighting the fact that my recipe for the "supreme" start menu includes CS as it's anchor. It really come's down to personal preference at some point hence the interest that is driving this poll (and BTW - it's almost a 50/50 split at this time). For me, it's not about taking the time to "learn" the new system. I used the W10 Start menu for quite some time before switching to CS. It's about a proven system that works the way I want it to and looks the way I want it to.

Capturestartmenusupreme.PNG

Last edited:
I know this is a poll about c shell (open shell now) on win10 but wanted to post a pic of start menu x's menu. It really is an easier to deal with prog. Skins, resizable icons incl., and no 1000 settings to deal with either. Open shell is classic shell with all the ridiculous setting configurations.
wmnequ.jpg
Other than the get pro ad it is resizable by dragging like foobar, and the two buttons below avatar are for adding and deleting items right from the menu itself. I kinda like having the ability to instantly browse my entire pc and all the data right from the menu. As you can see, anything you add to the leftmost column is shown within the programs folder also.
Open shell's installation was messing with startmx's and I had to reboot to get rid of cshell which left folders in both local and roaming.

Last edited:
Then there's this single exe, Spencer. I renamed it to 00-StartMenu. Not so much customizable at all but just plain works.
19koba.jpg
https://www.the-sz.com/products/spencer/
requires no folder and leaves no trace
The 'organize' entry pulls up 2 exploder windows, which is cool. Any dead icon entries should be deleted btw.

Oh man... dont say that...its words like that which got the thread closed at TPU. :rofl:

One can also argue the start menu of W8/8.1/10 wins out over 7 as it supplies more data/intel to the end user... right? IMO, at a single glance, the w10 configuration actually provides MORE data than previous start menus. The search functionality has also expanded with W10 as well. With that in mind, couldn't a user be just as, if not more, productive that way as well? It just takes time to learn it is all.

You also described a situation where a NEWER OS and its setup is beter than old... kind of the opposite thing going on here with users who install extra software to reconfigure new software to look like old....

Or one could argue that when taking in to account M$ operating systems with a start menu similar to XP (XP, Vista, 7, 8.1), and include the instances of the programs to that where it's not native but been changed to that;

(Classic Shell: www.classicshell.net
Open Shell: https://github.com/Open-Shell/Open-Shell-Menu
Start 10: https://www.stardock.com/products/start10/
Start Menu X: https://www.startmenux.com/index.html
Start is Back: www.startisback.com
Spencer XP: https://www.the-sz.com/products/spencer/ )

...the market share says the W8/W10 GUI loses horrifically by a 2:1 margin. And the "start menu" OS' were crippled by having to be purchased with real money, whereas W10 was free for over a year. Just going by the numbers, the new GUI is a dud.

Obviously, a blanket statement like that is a dud. It will depend on usage and preference as to which start interface is "better", right? Only an idiot would believe one size fits all, but we're talking about M$ believing just that to the extent of telling people their usages and preferences are wrong, not their OS. Fortunately I have hardware requirements that give me a built in reason for staying with W7. If M$ had been as loyal to the Start Menu and Media Center as they were to Internet Explorer, I wouldn't be such a Luddite. :D

LoL seriously ?

Yes, seriously. A couple members over there just couldn't stand the fact that I rated Classic shell above it's counterpart, Start 10. InfoWorld even did a comparison with both programs and Classic Shell came out on top for them as well, but when I pointed that out, the guy went off his rocker.

In any event we still have a good thread going here, and that's all that matters at this point. Lot less hostility and that's a good thing. We can all get along even if we don't agree on start menu choices.

We can all get along even if we don't agree on start menu choices.
start menu choices.

I have no idea what works best for anyone in this thread or on OCF, or anywhere else for that matter. How in the name of everything sane and rational does someone fill out a Butt Hurt Report because another stranger prefers a different third party start menu mod??? That place sounds like a loony bin.

I have no idea what works best for anyone in this thread or on OCF, or anywhere else for that matter. How in the name of everything sane and rational does someone fill out a Butt Hurt Report because another stranger prefers a different third party start menu mod??? That place sounds like a loony bin.

TPU is generally a good place and I like the community for the most part. But in this case things escalated rather quickly, and the thread was shut down. In any event, we have lots of good data here, and more importantly we are all getting along, like I said, despite our differences.

TPU is generally a good place and I like the community for the most part. But in this case things escalated rather quickly, and the thread was shut down. In any event, we have lots of good data here, and more importantly we are all getting along, like I said, despite our differences.

Some of us are definitely...different. And I do not exclude myself from that declaration. :D

Back