• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FEATURED Are you using Classic Shell with Windows 10?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Are you using classic shell with your version of Windows 10?

• Not using it, but interested in the future

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I used to have all my programs(hate when programs called apps on pc) in quick launch folder and I set it up on my taskbar, so it looks sort of like mac, but better because its not a mac. Now I typically have only music player, cpuz, and something else random. Getting tired with years flying by fast, don't feel as picky at what's in there anymore.

Edit: Sir Storm, that's what I always had, same as in your pic.

Last edited:
Do any of you all restore the quick launch folder? I do this with every single Windows 10 install.
I know you won't believe this, but I use the existing task bar. :)

What are the benefits of adding that to one already there?

Im icon driven on the desktop... My most frequently used apps are in the task bar with the rest floating around the left side somewhere.

desktop.jpg

Here's what I have atm
I just like to have access to something when I have something else on full screen and I don't need to switch or minimize to get somewhere. I added each drive to the taskbar and most frequently used folders.View attachment 202623

I know you won't believe this, but I use the existing task bar. :)

What are the benefits of adding that to one already there?
Hey, to each their own. To answer your question, I just like to free up space in the main task bar area and leave as much room possible for running programs / open windows. And I use small icons, as obviously seen in my picture above.

ED, where did you get that extra stuff? Is there an add on? (Moderation tools, bunch of extra icons next to thanks! ..)

Excuse my ignorance, but how does adding another taskbar which, correct me if I am wrong, duplicates the same functionality, free up space? I'm not sure if W10 can adjust the icon size there though. EDIT: W10 can adjust icon size in the taskbar.

When things are running, doesn't it simply have a bar underneath it as in it doesn't take up space when it is open?

EDIT: Wait, you are saying by putting all things down there, you free up space on the desktop for more windows, right? What resolution monitor do you have by chance? I run with 2560x1440 as well as having a second monitor so, screen real estate, in that respect, isn't an issue. There is no way I could go back to 1080p. I also don't need those icons 95% of the time or can easily call one up in search as well. Many options for that issue.

ED, where did you get that extra stuff? Is there an add on? (Moderation tools, bunch of extra icons next to thanks! ..)
That's how I ban you for taking things off topic. :p

Yes, those are icons from being mod/admin.

Last edited:
I had already edited Taco (then replied to you after)... but thanks!

Either way, I'm struggling to see the usefulness of a second task bar when one can already accomplish the same thing(?).

There's more than one way to skin a cat.

It's just the way I prefer to have access to all my programs from an open window, web browser, etc.

Does this picture clear up any confusion? Feel free to ask again if this doesn't narrow it down.

Capturetask.PNG

Wow... ok, that does explain it. I think. So it isn't desktop real estate you are capturing, but taskbar space?

I see that you have the programs open up old school as well with those fat things between the icons on the left and running items on the right. Makes sense why you need as much space as you can get in that area.

For those icons, when the programs is open, W10 will 'stack' the same apps and show thumbnails of the windows for easy switching. It seemingly accomplishes the same thing, but, is a more clean interface in W10.

desktop2.jpg

Right, taskbar space it is. I do admit to liking the old school look. Takes me back to the Vista days.

Edit: The taskbar was unlocked when I took that last snip. Here was what it looks like when locked, gets rid of those "fat things" and clears up even more space.

snip2.PNG

Ok, gotcha. So in this case its an aesthetic only move as opposed to an efficiency change. ;)

Ok, gotcha. So in this case its an aesthetic only move as opposed to an efficiency change. ;)

I think for the most part it's about the looks, but a case could be made that you can more easily see what is open / running when you chose to "never" combine taskbar buttons. That way you don't have to mouse over to preview some of the programs that are doubled up, every open program remains visible. And I like that. And plus, you get a subject line to go along with every open program, so you may be able to find your way around more effectively, especially if you're like me and have lots of windows open at the same time.

Capturenever.PNG

That makes complete sense. :)

The W10 taskbar can also do the same thing (spread out program), but, I'm not activated (too lazy to chat with MS) so its greyed out. :rofl:

:rofl:

Haha, it's legal, I swapped motherboards and it told me NO. I'll take the 5 minutes soon.

Back