• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

asrock 939Dual-sata2 BSOD problems

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tmitch

Registered
I originally ran this mobo with Opteron dual core 2200 cpu even though my bios (early) was for an AMD Athlon. I was able to OC it until about a year ago when I started to have occasional BSODs so, I backed it off and it has been working perfectly until now. All of a sudden it started crashing again, so I slowed it down some more (about 10x, or 2000). All was well until, I went to Asrock, downloaded a new bios to use the Opteron, and ordered a new Opteron 2400 cpu. Now, I can't OC it at all, and it won't boot into Window(XP) unless I disable the dual core.:temper: Asrock won't help.

What bios did you DL and install? If its post 1.40 it should work... that is assuming your "Opteron 2400" is actually an Opteron 150 (the correct name).

Why wont Asrock help?

What bios did you DL and install? If its post 1.40 it should work... that is assuming your "Opteron 2400" is actually an Opteron 150 (the correct name).

Why wont Asrock help?

I first DL and installed bios 1.4, when that didn't work, I installed 2.2 which still doesn't work. My new Opteron is a Dual Core 180 (the old one was a 175). Evidently, the bios for the Opterons only allows overclocking by changing the front side bus instead of the multiplier of the cpu (which I could do for some reason on the old bios), but even so, with the new bios and the fsb on manual, it wouldn't let me change the frequency (even though it say's I can change it from something like 140 to 400). And I can't even operate as is with the dual cores enabled.

I just can't get an answer out of Asrock.

Last edited:
Optys only allow multi clocking down, like all other amdsin that gen not named fx.

Htt you adjust. Fsb is older intel.

You cannot raise the multiplier of the Opteron more than its default multiplier. Like all other AMD's in that generation not named FX. FX chips were the only ones with their multiplier unlocked UP.

HTT = AMD's FSB. FSB is an Intel term.

Better?

You cannot raise the multiplier of the Opteron more than its default multiplier. Like all other AMD's in that generation not named FX. FX chips were the only ones with their multiplier unlocked UP.

HTT = AMD's FSB. FSB is an Intel term.

Better?

OK, I see that I can increase the frequency of the CPU (bus speed?) but I still cannot enable the dual cores.

Just tried 210 frequency and booted OK with CPU running at 2.52Mhz. I can play with that some more later.

Can you elaborate on cannot enable dual cores? Post CPUz screen shot of the first tab.

Not sure how to do that, but CPUz shows 1 core with 1 thread. Anything else on that page you want to know?

On my bios, there is a place on the CPU options that lists "dual cores" Enable or Disable. When I pick Enable, and boot up, I get the BSOD. When I pick Disable, it boots up fine, but as the CPUz shows, I am only running on 1 core and 1 thread.

To upload pictures, click on the paperclip and attach the file. Then click on the dropdown arrow next to the paperclip and click on the attachment.

Something is whacky in that case. Are you certain you are updated to the newest bios? Did your prior chip work with both cores?

You have "Opticon" in your signature btw... Opteron is the correct name. :)

To upload pictures, click on the paperclip and attach the file. Then click on the dropdown arrow next to the paperclip and click on the attachment.

Something is whacky in that case. Are you certain you are updated to the newest bios? Did your prior chip work with both cores?

You have "Opticon" in your signature btw... Opteron is the correct name. :)

I have the latest bios, P2.20. I think the chip worked with both cores (I was never aware of the problem until it started to fail), but the old bios only supported the Athlon 64x2 though I was actually running the Opteron 175.

I'll straighten out the signature after I get this mess straightened out.

Hit the print screen button (in this case Alt-PrntScreen to only capture the CPUz window), open MS Paint and paste the image in MS Paint (Ctl-V), save that file, and the 3 others requested (or open up CPUz 4 times and take one screenshot without using Alt) then follow the instructions.

LOL CPuz 1.37 is OLD, WOW! (1.59 is latest). It wont show any different, but you may want to upgrade.

Im honestly not sure what to tell you. At this point, you probably have a bad CPU is my first guess.

both my old 175 and the brand new 180 bad???????

You said you had been having to SLOW the 175 down over the time frame of the last year and that could mean it was failing.

Then you buy a new cpu and it could be bad out of the box.

Tmitch said:
All was well until, I went to Asrock, downloaded a new bios to use the Opteron,

So why if the 175 worked until it began to fail or the board, would you then up and flash the bios? Flash it back to the bios that had worked. You can rest assured ASRock is not going back in time to worry about a 939 motherboard.

Devil's Advocate - Why would a newer bios bork the use of oldr CPUs?

Well I personally don't have any idea about ASRock and that old board but when DFI put the code in bios to allow opteron naming to show on a desktop board, it took a couple of bioses to get it fully workable. And man we talking a Looong time ago now.

Back