• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ASRock 990FX Extreme 4 opinions.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
What I find is that with the exposed heat pipe coolers when the "pea-sized blob in the center of the CPU face" is used the ridges and valleys on the heat sink bottom often interfere with the spreading of the paste across the surface. What I recommend is:

First, clean the old paste off both the CPU and the heat sink. Paper coffee filters are ideal for this because they are a smooth, shiny (and insexpensive) material that doesn't leave behind insulating fibers like paper towels, kleenex or soft cloth. Start with a dry coffee filter to remove the bulk of it and finish with one moistened with isopropyl alcohol.

Then turn the cooler "bottoms up" and lay down two parallel lines of thermal paste perpendicular to the copper heat pipes from side to side across the bottom of the heatsink. Make the paste lines as think as possible while still being continuous. Space them evenly so that the bottom of the heat sink is divided into three approximately equal sections. This way, the ridges won't prevent the spread of the paste.

I will definitely have to try that out. Once I get a chance to take apart this rig I will definitely give it a go and report back the outcome. For now I am going to try and lower the voltage some and see if I can maybe reach as low as 1.4V. I doubt I will because I know I had to go above 1.4V to get it stable before. I think the previous owner of this combo had to use like 1.425 or something.

"Make the paste lines as think as possible . . ." I meant to say "thin".

"Make the paste lines as think as possible . . ." I meant to say "thin".

Yeah I assumed it was thin since if you put thicker lines you might not get the same performance as a very thin even layer. I appreciate the input. As of right now just hanging out with my friend and browsing the net so I am not taking anything apart today. Been putting together an older Core 2 Duo so my friend can use while he stays he. Will work good I think for MW:2 and CSS and such.

Got it running at 1.425 at the moment. Temps didn't drop much at all but so far so good on the prime. Hopefully I can get passed this session of prime and possibly go even lower.

Yeah so far I have only seen a small drop in temps. How ever it almost seems my core temp is going above 45C frequently. So I am assuming that means my cores are hitting 55C-58C. Why would my core temps get higher by lowering the voltage? This is a bit confusing to me now..

They should not go higher if you are lowering the CPU core voltage. They should go lower. Has the room air temperature gotten higher?

I think the temps decreased a bit with the under volting I did. I think I just assumed it was around the same or worse. i should start recording my data on a notepad or something for my own sake. I have a horrible memory. So far I have it at 1.425 and I ran prime all night. I had a couple of errors so I need to adjust something probably.

Well you probably just need to give the CPU core voltage a bump back up to 1.4375 or something. How's your case ventilation? I have that same case and 5 fans (3 exhaust in rear and to, 2 intake in front). I added some fans after I got it.

Well you probably just need to give the CPU core voltage a bump back up to 1.4375 or something. How's your case ventilation? I have that same case and 5 fans (3 exhaust in rear and to, 2 intake in front). I added some fans after I got it.

I need to adjust some things. I tried something a buddy suggested but doesn't seem to be helping. Normally I have 3 fans for exhaust, 1 rear, 2 top, and 3 fans for intake, 2 front, 1 side.

I have it switched up at the moment because a buddy suggested something to me but doesn't seem to help much. Currently only running 1 exhaust, rear, and the rest all intake. I know sounds stupid but I figured I would try it.

Back