• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ASRock AM1B-ITX continues to give problems..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Theocnoob

On my mother's AM1 5150 machine, initially, the PC would not shut down, it would only restart. I fixed this by following advice from another forum to turn off C states.

Now the board occasionally randomly resets right after signing into windows. I get to the Win 8.1 sign in screen, enter the password, get into the desktop and mere seconds later the PC resets. This must be the motherboard as I have never encountered this behavior anywhere else.

Any thoughts on what could be causing this?

I picked this board (idiotically) on a whim because it had more SATA ports than the competition at the lowest price, as it was for a budget AM1 build. I have since come to realize that it is a bad motherboard.

I really need to fix this. It's been more time than my return window will allow since I bought it and doing an RMA would leave my mother with no PC- besides, the RMA would likely solve nothing as these all seem to be hardware problems with the fundamental design of the board itself.

Thanks in advance and Merry Christmas.

This sounds stupid but disconnect the start/reset switch from the motherboard header. Then use a manual jump (metal screwdriver) on the start header of the motherboard. I had a stuck power(start) switch on a antec case and it did the same exact thing in windows 7.

Do you really think that could be it? This only happens once in awhile. Also, the switch on this case is not the type that could get stuck as far as I can tell. It pushes in for on and pops out for off. Old school. I don't see how there could be contact when it is popped out. I will give your suggestion a try though.

Assuming it is indeed a motherboard issues, do you or anyone else have any other thoughts?

Well you did not tell us what board was causing the problem just that now there was a random restart on booting into windows.
noob said:
the lowest price hardware problems with the fundamental design of the board itself.

Sounds like you have answered your own questions based on the real value of the mobo which sounds just barely a 2 on scale of 1 to 10. Get your mother a decent motherboard and not something on whimsy.
RGone...ster.

On my mother's AM1 5150 machine, initially, the PC would not shut down, it would only restart. I fixed this by following advice from another forum to turn off C states.

Now the board occasionally randomly resets right after signing into windows. I get to the Win 8.1 sign in screen, enter the password, get into the desktop and mere seconds later the PC resets. This must be the motherboard as I have never encountered this behavior anywhere else.

Any thoughts on what could be causing this?

I picked this board (idiotically) on a whim because it had more SATA ports than the competition at the lowest price, as it was for a budget AM1 build. I have since come to realize that it is a bad motherboard.

I really need to fix this. It's been more time than my return window will allow since I bought it and doing an RMA would leave my mother with no PC- besides, the RMA would likely solve nothing as these all seem to be hardware problems with the fundamental design of the board itself.

Thanks in advance and Merry Christmas.

Theocnoob, do you still have the motherboard? If still, look for Core Performance Boost or CPB in your mobo BIOS and disable that option. Tell us If that work for you. Regards.

Theocnoob, do you still have the motherboard? If still, look for Core Performance Boost or CPB in your mobo BIOS and disable that option. Tell us If that work for you. Regards.

He is no longer active on this forum due to being banned.
You won't get an update from him.

Back