• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ASRock Blue Screen

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RoY.Tunbo

Registered
Okay so here is the problem that I am having. I just received my ASRock 970 Pro 3 yesterday and hooked it up. It started with a blue screen saying something like Windows has been prevented from starting so it wont damage my files I have on hard drive. Well in order for me to start up on the Mobo I have to hit F2 to get into the bios and set everything to Default. It doesn't always work.

Here's what I've tried:
Swapping out the hard drives with 3 others I have "THAT WORK"
Rewiring the case making sure everything is secure and snug
Pulling the memory and putting back securely

I have switched Mobos back to my BIOSTAR N68S3+ and it boots up so that tells me its not my hard drives.

Any one who can help with this issue would be greatly appreciated!!:clap:

I dont think I understand the problem fully...you cant boot to that HDD? Did you make sure its the first drive in the boot order? When you initially setup your HDD/windows installation, was it in IDE mode or AHCI? Make sure your current board matches that mode.

I've checked the first first drive and my HDD is 1st. I noticed that on the boot options it was my HDD, DVD drive, then UEFI: Built-in EFI Shell. Would that EFI shell have something to do with this problem?

I dont think so, No. What you are looking for is in your storage section in the bios to see what 'mode' that sata port is in. I think new boards default to AHCI so if you installed your OS under IDE, you need to be set to IDE to get back in to windows.

So I am assuming this is the one that you are talking about, correct?
I like to ask questions because I don't want to mess anything up, sorry.

IMG_20120926_110019.jpg

Well the thing is its set to AHCI and it boots, but not always. But I will set it to IDE and see what happens from there.

If you have boot to Windows with it set to AHCI, then that isnt the issue. It will NEVER boot to windows if you loaded on IDE and your board set to AHCI...

Alrighty, it was switched to IDE and booted up with out a problem, is there anything else you would like to try or could possible be the cause of this?

If it boots everytime in IDE mode now then your Nvidia chipset board had windows installed in IDE mode and the modes have to stay the same to boot. Unless other methods are employeed. I would not want Windows installed on Nvidia board running on AMD board anyway. I would REinstall windows on the AMD board with the drive mode set to AHCI.

Hey there RGone, you've posted on my thread back when I had the N68S3+ Mobo and I was wanting to Overclock. Why would you install it to the AMD board then set the drive mode to AHCI? Is there a difference?

To answer that question (and I do this safely with all Intel ICHR9/10 chipsets) there is a way to safely enable AHCI mode. Here we go:

1. Startup "Regedit
2. Open HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE / SYSTEM / CurrentControlset / Services
3. Open msahci
4. In the right field left click on "start" and go to Modify
5. In the value Data field enter "0" and click "ok"
6. exit "Regedit"
7. Reboot Rig and enter BIOS (hold "Delete" key while Booting

In your BIOS select "Integrated Peripherals" and OnChip PATA/SATA Devices. Now change SATA Mode to AHCI from IDE.

You now boot into windows 7, the OS will recognize AHCI and install the devices. Now the system needs one more reboot and voilla ..

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=313676

Sorry for such a late reply. I found out that when I try to unlock the 4th core on the mobo bios thats when it gives that blue screen and restartes until I kick it into the bios mode and put it to default settings. I don't get why tho because my processor supports that and the mobo supports the core unlocker and thats why i got the mobo. Any ideas on what I just said right now on how to fix it? Id really like to unlock the 4th core. by unlocking the 4th core does that increase the GHz from 3.20 + and if so about how much? Also im recieveing my nVidia GeForce GTX 550 Ti some time friday would I even need my 4th core unlocked or is the GTX 550 powerful enough?

I have a Sabertooth 990FX MB and it defauled to AHCI, Win XP Pro x64 does not support AHCI, I don't have Vista or Win 7, so I had to set the SATA drives to IDE mode to install XP Pro x64.

Its going to allow you to use AHCI...What is AHCI?

AHCI gets the most out of your drive, I believe things like Native Command Queueing among other things require AHCI (assuming your drive supports it, you can look that up at the drive MFG website).

Sorry for such a late reply. I found out that when I try to unlock the 4th core on the mobo bios thats when it gives that blue screen and restartes until I kick it into the bios mode and put it to default settings. I don't get why tho because my processor supports that and the mobo supports the core unlocker and thats why i got the mobo. Any ideas on what I just said right now on how to fix it? Id really like to unlock the 4th core. by unlocking the 4th core does that increase the GHz from 3.20 + and if so about how much? Also im recieveing my nVidia GeForce GTX 550 Ti some time friday would I even need my 4th core unlocked or is the GTX 550 powerful enough?

This is likely happening because the core or cores you are trying to unlock are not viable. Not every CPU with locked cores can be successfully unlocked. Those cores were locked at the factory probably because they were defective and if the defect is significant enough it will not allow you to have a stable configuration when they are unlocked. Having said that, sometimes they can be made stable by bumping up the CPU voltage a bit.

Back