• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ASRock Extreme 4 Troubleshooting

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Boomer0909

GPU (EVGA 650 Ti) only working in super low resolutions (800x600) in either slot. I have done pretty much everything I can think of. I am looking for any other possible solutions before I drive the 2 hrs back to MicroCenter to replace this board.

I have so far tried the following:

1) Tried old card (9800GTX+) that I know works on the new system. Same super low resolution.
2) Updated bios to latest version 2.5.
3) Connected through on board graphics and installed all gpu drivers then restarted with 650 connected.
4) new install of windows 8.

What do you guys think am I missing something fairly obvious or what? I am thinking that this board isn't worth the trouble to be honest but the time sunk already makes me want to get it to work.

Thanks for your help, as always.

Here are the new build specs:

z77 Extreme 4
balistix 8 GB @ 9-9-9-24 (2x4)
EVGA 650 Ti
Corsair 600W PSU

I cant imagine the board to be the problem initially... Im thinking its W8.

#3. That was backwards. Plug the GPU in, boot to windows, install the driver, reboot. Make sure you are using the W8 driver for your GPU. Have you tried the integrated GPU and see if it goes to a normal resolution (assuming there are W8 drivers for it)?

I cant imagine the board to be the problem initially... Im thinking its W8.

#3. That was backwards. Plug the GPU in, boot to windows, install the driver, reboot. Make sure you are using the W8 driver for your GPU. Have you tried the integrated GPU and see if it goes to a normal resolution (assuming there are W8 drivers for it)?

I am hopeful you are right about it being a Windows 8 issue. With regards to #3 I am sure at some point I had installed the drivers with the GPU connected. I will try to get Windows 8 drivers tonight and update. I had been going with the drivers off of the disc that came with the GPU.

Those are made for windows 7 I would imagine. Go to Nvidia website and DL then install the W8 drivers for your card.

The fan on the GPU is starting up and the fact that it does show a display means that it is probably working correctly though right? Just have to figure the driver issue out than.

Upon further testing I am going to RMA the GPU. I did dl the correct drivers and still no dice. This time I couldn't even boot into Windows. I plugged the GPU back into my old rig and it caused multiple errors and lines all over the screen. I think I will get a 7970 in it's place because the 3 game deal currently running on the egg. Thanks for the help guys and I'll keep you up dated.

Back