• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

asrock extreme 6 vs fatality killer z97

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cajun_duck

Registered
What make the extreme 6 better? I don't plan on overclocking, it makes me nervous. I don't want to fry my hard earned money. Thoughts?

LOL, you won't fry anything unless you use massive amounts of voltage to the chip. If you don't plan on overclocking, then the Fatal1ty board is cheaper and will work just fine for your needs.

The Extreme 6 is a more robust board geared more towards the overclocker as it has more features and better power delivery.

Can't go wrong with either board tho. ;)

I think, like Nebulous said, the Fatal1ty is generally for a gaming rig, whereas the Extreme 6 is more for overclocking. I have the extreme six in my gaming rig... I didn't overclock for a while after I accidentally typed 1.75V instead of 1.175 for my i5-4670K. It's still kicking at 4.2GHz though. :D

So, as already mentioned, you don't have to worry about frying anything without absolutely ludicrous amounts of voltage. I'm lucky my CPU isn't fried, but basically you'll most likely be heat limited before you ever feed enough voltage to fry something. :thup:

I just realized something. The extreme 6 doesn't come with a fan controller. Nevermind, found it.

Last edited:
Why would you need a fan controller? You're not overclocking so you don't need high powered fans. You can use silent fans which will move enough airflow to cool a stock speed machine.

Corsair AF120/140 Quiet Edition fans are what you want. They look great too and aren't stupid expensive. No need for a fan controller.

If you aren't overclocking, and you aren't using CFX/SLI, may I suggest you buy a non-K CPU and drop down to the H97 G1 Sniper board by Gigabyte? Very good LAN and audio solutions for the price (Approx $90 USD). It's a great board.

Back