• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED ASrock Extreme9 990FX PCI-E @ 1x??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

7RemMag

Ive gone over the manual a thousand times already and it says pcie slot 1 and 4 for x16/x16 crossfire. GPUZ reports x16/x1.. WTF? Any ideas

Last edited:
SpNq4fN.png

I cant say for certain as I have not done sli in general on with this board but from watching a review on youtube it looked as though they pointed at these two PCI-E slots marked green for sli/cfx. Also have you ensured that the system has been set for CFX?

**Edit**

Judging from this video however it looks as those it uses 1 and 3
~7 minutes in

Thinking maybe the 1 and 4 are used along with the last PCI-E slot for triple GPU configurations perhaps.

Last edited:
Motherboards often reduce the number of PCI-E lanes as a power saving feature when the cards are in 2D mode. Have you clicked the "?" in the GPU-Z interface for the render test?

Those are the lanes i use thats exactly what the manual sayds to use, and yes i used the render test and it still says 1x on the bottom.

Would you be able to recall the steps you took after physically installing the GPU's? Also for the sake of it, list both GPU's you're using, are they identical?

Lastly it looks like in the manual that there have been cases where after enabling crossfire and restarting, it doesnt stay enabled and it says to go back into the catalyst settings and ensure that it is checked. Sounds silly I know but just trying to help cover all bases as most things that go wrong with computers, atleast for myself, are simple things that got overlooked.

I swapped out motherboards from the 979 extreme3 to this one. it worked fine in the other motherboard at 16x/4x I believe and my 3dm11 score was 10k now its 6k..... they are both xfx hd7850 cards except one is the oc version.

Ah shame, well hopefully someone with more experience with multi GPU can chime in soon. I guess the last thing I can think of possibly happening is the CFX bridge not being properly seated or something strange like that. Best of luck to finding a solution otherwise!

Put both back in and its back to 1x, NOW if i disable crossfire x theyll read 16/8x. Must be some sort of driver issue?

They are the 13.8 beta same ones I used on the other board . I just updated the bios right now and nothing changed . Frustrating to say the least

Its brand new yes, just got it yesterday. I installed the 13.4 official and now it runs 16x/8x idk has to be a driver problem im assuming.

Yes full fresh install of win 7 when i swapped out the mobo.

Back