• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asrock fatality 990 FX BIOS settings Help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DharkLight

Registered
hey guys im new to overclocking and i was just wondering what are the settings that i need to disable in the bios if i need to do OC'ing in this badass mobo i was able to overclock already only using the cpu multiplier option, and from what i read i disabled cool and quiet, spread spectrum, LLC, set my computer to operate in performance mode as well. if anyone has any ideas what else i need to disable in the BIOS coz there are some stuff i dont get quite fully yet lol

specs are:
asrock fatality 990fx 1.48 Bios Version
Phenom II 1100t BE OC'ED to 4.0 GHZ
G.skill ripjaws X 8GB ddr3 1600
Corsair H100\
antec earthwatts 650w PSU
Radeon HD 5750 GDDR3 1GB
Hitachi 1TB 7200

Thanks in advance for any suggestions and help guys :D

:welcome: to the forums Dharklight

I did a review on the sister board, extreme 4. Your board has just a couple more settings but they are pretty much the same if I remember correctly. I would take a look at the LLC section. I believe that they used the same voltage regulator and power plane.

http://www.overclockers.com/asrock-990fx-extreme4

Pretty much just disable CnQ, and all other power settings and start cranking up the multi until done. Take a look at my phenom II guide for more help on that end.

CPU-Z needs an update. The next version should identify it correctly

hmm i thought i downloaded the latest one i guess i was wrong lol ill try that right now and see if it will detect it correctly thanks for the heads up

EDIT: i was using the 1.58 version, updated to 1.59 and it detected it correctly lol thanks again

ok so i started increasing my cpu multi to x20 which gave me 4.0Ghz i dide prime95 for 6 hours and when it was done there was no problems the highest temp i got was 55C, so i figured maybe i can bump it up to 4.1Ghz so bumped my multi to 20.5 and ran prime95 again and a min of the test i get blue screens, so i increased my cpu voltage to 1.4 still the same outcome another bsod, i disabled CnQ, C1E, Spread Spectrum, CPU thermal throttling, Turbo Core, my Ram is set to 1600 - i lowered it down to 1333 but still same bsod. or could it be my PSU? - i only have 650w and i dont have a higher watt available to test it with.
it only BSOD's when i prime it, but if i dont everything seems to work fine and my temp stays at 22C-24C idle.

sorry for my infinitely noob questions. @__@

It depends on your temps lon load. Most 1100T and 1090Ts will stop around 4.0 or 4.1 ghz for 24/7 OC. You can try pushing your voltage up some more to reflect the LLC difference.

Make sure to watch your load temps.

ok ill try that later after im done with work. . my temps on load on the 1min stressing on prime only showed around 35-38 before it BSOD. it could be my voltage coz the highest i put in was only 1.4v. thanks for keeping up with my questions man. appreciate it :thup:

I never played with LLC and AMD before, prolly cause it wasn't a feature until recently...

My story, used to run without LLC enabled, 4.08 was a very nice runner...was fooling around the other day, said what the fudge, and tried LLC set to 50%, I always ran disabled...obviously the bios is tweaked otherwise...

As Dolk mentioned, pushing your voltage may help...I increased mine considerably, now an easy 4.31 gig, strange thing is, even with the voltage increase, because of the Vdroop at idle and load, I am actually running with less actual volts when trying to push it without LLC enabled and my temps reflect that...my 1090t previously would boot with LLC disabled all the way to around 4.45/4.5, crap shoot on desktop, freezing and blue screens @anything above 4.2, no matter the volts, I could desktop a bit @4.2/4.3 for a few minutes, but it always met disaster...

All the AsRock AMD boards I have used in the past several years have undervolted the CPU and overvolted on the mems, aggravating, prolly the VRM skimpage, whatever....

So, LLC FTW in this corner...I am rambling a bit, if you want more detailed informations, I can pull my notes...

Strange electronics...just sayin....

laterzzzz......

havent touched my BIOS lately got busy with work and all, still im stuck with 4.0Ghz for now, when i get free time again ill play around with the BIOS, but just a quick question bldegle2, how much voltage did you put in to run 4.3Ghz on you 1090t? maybe i can use it as a base with my CPU. thanks again man :thup:

I will keep it short....here ya go

4.31+, bios CPU volts set to 1.5875 (OMG :shock: , read on), 1.472/1.48 as per bios HW Monitor, and in Windows CPU-z reads between 1.496 to 1.512, these are all IDLE readings, fluctuations noted in both bios and in windows, since the fluctuation range is about the same, I would tend to go with CPU-z, ram kept at exact same settings, only upped the x to 18.5, HTT @233, HT kink and NB both running 2563....remember, this is all at IDLE...

Two Days ago I did a Full load run to test the LLC, all bios settings the same, obviously no way to get a HW Monitor bios read, CPU-z fluctuated between between 1.448 to 1.464 (can anyone say vdroop HUGE vdroop from bios 1.5875 setting) with all 6 cores under full load for over 3 hours, ambient 18.8*C, CPU temp max, 46*C, CPU core temp max, 27*C....remember I am using modified water setup....

Today I did the same run, ambient 21.7*C, and the CPU Temp got to a level I am not comfortable with, 50*C, CPU core temp, 31*C....obviously the higher ambient has an effect, come next summer, I am sure I will have to back off, I may just set the x to 18 and bump the HTT up smidgen (235/236), lower the CPU voltage a bit and be done with it so I don't have to worry....my ram has a lot of room, so tickling the HTT a few notches is no problem...

good luck, your board is virtually the same but with better components in power area I believe, so YMMV....

Laterzzzz....

Last edited:
It all depends on the temperature of the CPU. Most of the time you hit that wall of 4.0 to 4.1ghz unless you really push the volts, but this could damage the CPU.

well once i get the chance to play around with my BIOS again ill post whatever results i have in here lol even though im already comfortable with the 4.0Ghz just for the heck of it and learning by experience is well worth it lol I dont know how to setup a real Liquid cooling system yet but that is a future thing in mind for me, for now that im still in the learning process of overclocking and all that the h100 seems to keep my temps under 55C under load + the fact its getting cold here in SoCal lol :D I love this forum there is always someone willing to help answer questions :ty:

Edit...

seems the bios settings between 1.5 and the 1.5875 get the same, or virtually the same load reads of 1.44/1.45 in cpu-z..

my final settings are 1.475bios (1.40 ave load), 18 x 236 for 4.248gig, all 16 gig ramski 1866 @1888...temps much lower, mucho...LLC still helping leaps and bounds...

Ok so here is what i got, i was able to increase my multiplier to x21 which gave me 4.2Ghz of CPU speed, NB multiplier i set it to 2400Mhz, increased my voltage to 1.450, RAM is set to 1600, was able to boot up no problems, idle temps at 36C, but when i tried to run prime one of my cores failed after i started it... so i immediately stopped it and my temp went up to like 51C max as shown on HWmonitor on my screenie, and it shows on my prime95 that Core#5 isnt running which showed one error. i guess i really wont be able to bump up my system to 4.3Ghz stable for what i was hoping :cry: oh well system still runs great though i think ill stick to 4.0 or 3.9 for now

Attachments

• stress.PNG
    stress.PNG
    185.8 KB · Views: 1,291
another tidbit of informations on the LLC, for Thuban (AM3, not AM3+ which should be set to 1/2, my bad), set LLC to 1/4 or 25%, whatever your bios displays....

I now have bios set to 1.50, cpu-z 1.424 @idle, fairly STEADY, full load, 1.408, and also really steady....so, Vroop totally almost totally minimized with the 1/4 LLC, only real concern is the bios setting of 1.5v yielding only 1.424 @idle....

YMMV as every chip has it own quirks, so do MB's...

Don't know your cooling setup, could be a limitation temps wise...

Laterzzzz.........

my cooling setup is only an H100 set to push&pull, 2 side fans for intake, 1 top fan for exhaust, 1 back for exhaust as well and one front for intake. kept my temps very low on idle running 4.0Ghz just only at 24C, my lowest was 18C highest i got was like around 54-55C on prime95. im probly not gonna touch it beyond that for a while until i can setup water cooling in the future.:D:clap:

On my Fatal1ty 990FX I have LLC disabled. CPU @ 1.55v in UEFI. At idle it's @ 1.568v. Under full load it hits 1.608v and steadies out @ 1.592v. This is with the CPU @ 4.2GHz (200x21) Load temp is 46c

Back