• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asrock NF6P-VSTA Serious Issue

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AngelfireUk83

I have been giving the task of fixing a AMD rig for an old school friend and backing up her photos and what not. I got the tower home and booted it up after 2mins into the system and on XP Home's desktop I was greated with the malware Personal Antivirus saying the system had a trojan horse.

ASrock ALIVE NF6P-VSTA AM2+ Bios 1.50
AMD 1650LE 2.60ghz (I think) CPU but upgraded to a AMD X2 4400+
Elixar 1GB DDR2 memory
Maxtor 160GB SATA-II HDD (disc check reported bad blocks not much but some)
Onboard 6100SE graphics and Realtek Onboard HD Audio

Anyways I just backed up the photos to a pen drive, now before I formatted the system I used spybot to remove that annoying malware I removed Norton 360 because it's bloatware and some other crap stuff I put spybot, AVG Anti Virus F.E, ZoneAlarm and Spyware Blaster.

I gave the system scans removed the spyware malware etc no virus' they also wanted me to upgrade the CPU and so I needed to flash the BIOS to the latest version. That was a success and so I rebooted to do a fresh install of XP but I got them to part with some cash for Pro SP3 because I believe the Home Edition SP2 was a cracked copy. Right the fresh install went with no glitches I installed DirectX 9.0c (Mar 09) and powered down as I had to go to work.

I just tried to power it up and it wont the motherboard has a Nforce 430 chipset and it's using the onboard 6100SE graphics but nothing will work. The DVD-RW drive's light keeps flashing twice and so does the HDD light I have cleared CMOS and I got it to power-up once and as I was setting the BIOS clock and it gave me a corrupted screen and went blank.

Could the board be dead the BIOS update was a success the new CPU installed and I set up with load default settings I just can't work out whats wrong??????

Certainly sounds like a bad bios. I would start by taking one memory stick out at a time and seeing if you have bad hardware. Do you have another computer you can swamp parts in and out with to check for bad hardware like memory and hard drive. And you might also try putting the old CPU back in. Disconnect or remove everything non essential like the DVD drive to get it down to bare essentials. How about the PSU? Maybe it went gunny bag or doesn't have enough power to cover the new CPU.

You weren't planning on using that bad hard drive were you? Maybe its packed it in causing the problem

Certainly sounds like a bad bios. I would start by taking one memory stick out at a time and seeing if you have bad hardware. Do you have another computer you can swamp parts in and out with to check for bad hardware like memory and hard drive. And you might also try putting the old CPU back in. Disconnect or remove everything non essential like the DVD drive to get it down to bare essentials. How about the PSU? Maybe it went gunny bag or doesn't have enough power to cover the new CPU.

I have tried the original CPU and it still wont boot I dissconnected the DVD-RW drive but again nothing I could use as I dont have more spare parts to come off onboard graphics I could use my 9600GT as a ext card but I dont want it to damaged it. As for the CPU it's a cheap 450w one dosn't look very good to be honest the only way I could test the Hard Drive and Memory would be to put it in my rig below but is it worth the risk???

You weren't planning on using that bad hard drive were you? Maybe its packed it in causing the problem

The HDD was the only 1 I could use I am just going to pick up a 40GB SATA HDD from my friends house to see if thats the cause of it maybe bad blocks near the boot file etc.

I will report back later on if it's sorted strange how the BIOS after a successful flash and install of XP suddenly dies now.

UPDATE:

It's the Hard Drive I tested one 2GB of my kingston & a 40GB SATA HDD off my friend and it booted up into the BIOS which I have now set correctly stupid date was back to front (M/D/Y to us Uk-ions its D/M/Y). Anyways I tested the 1GB DDR2 Elixar memory thats was originally inside it with the 40GB HDD again booted up now problems.

Just put in a order for 1 new WD 160GB Caviar for them should arrive next week still winning that 6600 PCI-E graphics card too on Ebay for them.

Glad you found the problem. I always try to keep old parts around that I know are good when I do upgrades for that very reason. Sometimes you order brand new parts and they are bad right from the store/factory.

Glad you found the problem. I always try to keep old parts around that I know are good when I do upgrades for that very reason. Sometimes you order brand new parts and they are bad right from the store/factory.

Yeah I do the same I have a couple of IDE HDD's in storage but I rang out of SATA ones because I sold them on due to the PC's I've fixed in the need for them. I need to get a hold of some AGP graphics cards and some PCI ones thou on Ebay people are asking for stupid prices but rare is rare and money you can make from such things but only if there new.

I'll be sending off for a AM2 and a P4 motherboard soon and I'm thinking of building some test rigs be a lot easier and save up some space.

EDIT@ Thank For Your Help & Quick Replies!

Last edited:
Back