• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ASRock X79 Extreme 6/GB BIOS Issues

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mistahtokyo

Registered
First of all, my system specs are as follows:

Intel i7 4930k
ASRock X79 Extreme 6/GB
NVIDIA GTX 780
Gskill Ripjaws Z series (8GBx2) 2133
Corsair H100i /w 4 fans
Coolermaster HAF 932
Western Digital 1TB
LG CD/DVD Reader
etc.

I received the motherboard and bought the 4930k to use it with. The issue is that the motherboard does not support my processor right off the bat, it needs a BIOS update. I couldn't find another processor so I ordered a BIOS chip online. Now, here's the real "Doh!" moment at least I think it is). I ordered a BIOS chip for v2.80 of the ASRock X79 Extreme 6 NON GB version. I installed it, it worked fine, I was able to boot into Windows fine. Of course, this isn't the exact BIOS it uses. I can't overclock using this, changing the memory to it's XMP values causes black screens, almost any tweaks cause a black screen. I tried flashing the BIOS using the Instant Flash utility, but the BIOS won't recognize the latest GB BIOS version (2.60). I tried older versions, installed some other prerequisites that it needed, etc. The problem is that the new BIOS refuses to detect the GB version BIOS.
What I'm wondering is if there is a way to circumvent the Instant Flash utility and force the BIOS to flash to the GB BIOS version. I have a USB flash drive formatted to FAT32 (the required format for Instant Flash). I'd like to avoid having to buy another BIOS chip, if possible...

Check the actual numbers printed on the BIOS chips themselves (old vs. new). Do they match? If they don't match, I'm not sure you want to do what you want anyway as it still might not work correctly. If the numbers do match then I think it would be possible to force flash it, but you'll have to update the BIOS from DOS and apply some switches.

Back