• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ASrock Z77 Extreme 4 owners your bios version ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
It still amazes me that I run this chip right up to 4.5 with just the mutiplier increases. It's like I am doing nothing at all and it comes like this stock, lol

Sometime in the next few days im going to see how much farther I can run it up there before I have heat problems etc. at 45 my heat on Prime gets up to the high 70's low 80's for a moment then back down and up etc. as it works. So im figuring 4.7 is probably gonna be the top before I need to get another cooler. Just thinking out loud :D

Ok, I finally got around to it, reset my voltages to stock and bumped my multiplier back up to 45 on stock voltage and just ran 20 min of prime and got bored. Im happy, I could not do that before with stock voltage so perhaps this 2.30 bios has made things even better ?

Im gonna run it this way and see what happens. My temps in prime never got above 82 on any core with 100% load so all seems good.

Try some Diablo III tonight and maybe some Darkness II and see how she runs.

How are you setting "stock" voltage? Did you note what CPU-Z was reporting for your vcore under load b/n the 2 BIOS'?

:comp: If you or anyone else feel like fine tuning here are some tips from my experimentation and research:

Lowering PLL can bring down your temps w/ no ill effects. I'm at 1.627v now. 1.71v is typically a given and I've seen some guys go down to 1.5v. Sometimes you can even run lower vcore after you make this adjustment. Drop it 0.05 at a time; 1.75v, 1.70v, 1.65v, etc. Keep going until you can't boot or the setting is as low as it can go. My PLL setting goes down to 1.585v or so, but was booting at 1.60v. I found 192k FFT size would fail, though, so I had to keep bumping it up until I got to 1.627v.

With P95 I like to run a custom setup (this can get you homed in a lot faster than standard settings):

Make sure Blend is selected and then change that selection to Custom. That will load Blend standard settings into Custom and then you can adjust from there.
Leave the FFT sizes alone for now. Change the "Memory to use (in MB)" to at least half your RAM (8192 for 16GB installed), but I like to go to 90+% [look at Task Manager's Performance tab and select 100 to 500MB less than Available "Physical Memory (MB)"].
Set it to 2 or 3mins for now. This way you can do a full fft-size cycle in a lot less time. Normally it takes about 8hrs to run through all the fft sizes at default settings (15mins). 2min setting gets you there in about an hour and helps you identify troublesome fft sizes quickly. I usually do 3mins, though.

Then you can run Custom runs at just those fft sizes giving you problems to really home in on the most responsive setting. So, when 192k was failing I ran 192k to 192k @ 3min and adjusted PLL until it ran for at least 20-30mins.
If PLL is stable then larger fft size failures typically indicate a RAM, VTT(VCCIO), or less likely VCCSA adjustment is necessary. Smaller fft size failures typically point to vcore adjustment.
A 20min run on default Blend settings only does 1 large fft size for 15mins and 1 small fft size for 5mins. In my experience when I am close to stable it's always 1 fft size giving me issues and it usually takes 2-8hrs to get to that size using standard Blend settings.
At the end I always like to do a full run at 15min setting for 1-2+ full cycles (or 8-16+hrs) just to be sure everything holds up together, but I try to do this mostly while sleeping or at work.

Last edited:
How are you setting "stock" voltage? Did you note what CPU-Z was reporting for your vcore under load b/n the 2 BIOS'?

Also lowering PLL can bring down your temps w/ no ill effects. I'm at 1.627v now. 1.71v is typically a given and I've seen some guys go down to 1.5v.

my bad I did not set anything rather just left it alone once the bios reset. the offset voltage sets itself at +0.005 once the bios updated and all I did was up the multiplier.

I know it's hard to see but the core says 1.224 there.

Untitled.jpg

Last edited:
Nice vcore! I bet you can get those temps down if you tweak some more. I ninja edited my post above with some tips if you're interested. :thup:

Edit:
For 4.5GHz my chip liked a little more base vcore offset at +0.020v, and then I have turbo offset at +0.004v (1.272v in CPU-Z under load). The extra base vcore helps with idle/C-state_switching stability.

For 4.6GHz I was bumping up to +0.032v turbo offset, but temps were peaking at 88*C, so I decided to stay at 4.5GHz. I'm contemplating delidding, but it's a lot of effort for 200-400MHz more. I do want those lower temps, though! If I can get the IMC temp down I think I'll be able to run my 2400 RAM at 2400 instead of 2200. 2400 doesn't like to POST when the CPU is still warm, but does fine when the CPU has had time to completely cool. Boots right up and runs P95 for hours; try to reboot and I get code 23 error.

Last edited:
Ha ha! I've been posting in that thread a lot too!

My P95 methodology is very similar to that guide, but I think I've got a few more details to make the quest more fruitful. ;)

Ha ha! I've been posting in that thread a lot too!

My P95 methodology is very similar to that guide, but I think I've got a few more details to make the quest more fruitful. ;)

LOL, yeah I have seen your nic in the thread. I have not posted just reading ;) Alot of folks with major knowledge between here and there. Happy to have found this place. Very enjoyable hobby :thup:

Can any other ASRock z77 Extreme4 owner confirm the following BIOS behavior as normal.
BIOS version 2.40

After entering the BIOS/UEFI and making a change (anything) then performing "Save and Exit".

I am expecting the BIOS changes to be saved and the system to exit and restart.
Mine does not restart, it saves the changes, exits the BIOS, and then shuts off. (I need to hit the Chassis power, or the on-board power button to restart. This seems very alien to me compared to the non UEFI BIOS I am familiar with.

Just trying to figure out if I am insane or the board...

CB

Can any other ASRock z77 Extreme4 owner confirm the following BIOS behavior as normal.
BIOS version 2.40

After entering the BIOS/UEFI and making a change (anything) then performing "Save and Exit".

Mine does not restart, it saves the changes, exits the BIOS, and then shuts off. (I need to hit the Chassis power, or the on-board power button to restart. This seems very alien to me compared to the non UEFI BIOS I am familiar with.

CB

I just updated to 2.40 last night on my intel rig, and i ran Boinc overnight at my old settings (5.0 @ 1.5 vcore 2500k) and it was stable all night. Currently have it back at 4.3 @ 1.27. Maybe try reverting back to 2.30 or reflash 2.40.

BIOS version 2.40

CB

Mine shuts off after a save and exit also, however just a momentary shut off. Then it powers itself right back up and boots to Windows.

Now Im not sure why the difference until some others chime in. Could it be a difference in the power profile ? just brainstorming atm.

Today 12/4 ASrock has put up the newest Bios for the Z77 Extreme 4 motherboard. Version 2.70, here are the updates.....................I wonder why they skipped 2.60 ? LOL

Version 2.70

1. Support UEFI PXE boot.
2. Modify VT-d Capability will be unsupported after flashing BIOS P2.50.

http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z77 Extreme4/?cat=Download&os=BIOS

Edit :: First guinea pig here, Im at 2.70 and all is well (so far) :D

Last edited:
Today 12/4 ASrock has put up the newest Bios for the Z77 Extreme 4 motherboard. Version 2.70, here are the updates.....................I wonder why they skipped 2.60 ? LOL

Version 2.70

1. Support UEFI PXE boot.
2. Modify VT-d Capability will be unsupported after flashing BIOS P2.50.

http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z77 Extreme4/?cat=Download&os=BIOS

Edit :: First guinea pig here, Im at 2.70 and all is well (so far) :D

are there release notes for the bios update? i cant find any or any info on google about why they are removing support for VT-d. i believe my 3770k doesn't support it anyway but im wondering why they would remove it.

Regarding 2.70 I think the VT-d thing means with 2.50 Vt-d was reporting unsupported on systems that did support it... 2.70 fixes that check so VT-d capable systems are reporting enabled again.

I have 3570k so I can't verify that, it's just usual changelog reading experience, and from creating my own and trying to word things in as few words as possible.

For awhile there was a new BIOS every month, so I'm hoping 2.80 will come out around Jan 20th... I really hope 2.70 isn't going to be the last update.

Currently using 2.70, have used 2.50, and 2.20... for me 2.50 was the best for stability with least voltage, but I seem to keep finding new tweaks.

Right now my config is:
4.2GHz
SpreadSpectrum: Disabled
PLL Overvolt: Disabled
(otherwise default/auto for that section)
---
Offset: -0.180
LLC: 1 (which runs slightly cooler than LLC2/3 even though LLC1 uses about 0.02 more voltage, LLC1 in 2.50 was useless)
PLL: 1.603
(otherwise default)
---
RAM: (2x4GB Patriot Viper 3) 1600 @ 1800 9/9/9/24/1, 1.450v
IGPU stuff is all disabled, and set to fixed @ 0.6v
C-States are disabled except C1E.
ASMedia is disabled (no effect on OC, but boots 1.5 seconds quicker)

At idle: 0.720v, 34C (24C on 4th core)
At load: 1.104v, 66C (small FFT), 58C (blend)
22C ambient, air-cooled: CNPS9900Max

I keep it at 4.2 mainly because of my own somewhat artificial limit... it's the highest overclock while staying under 67.5C (TCase for 3570K)... so it's a very safe overlock (ie: CPU fan failure, etc, it shouldn't nuke itself)

I can get it to 4.5 with reasonable temps though, around 82C... I would consider 4.4 my "max 24/7" with high 70's... 4.7 is the highest I've gone, couldn't get 4.8 to boot, although I didn't find it worth trying too hard...lol

Last edited:
Back