• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Assistance overclocking 3570k

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Antman3121

Registered
Hello, like many people I want to get the best performance for my PC.

My current specs are-

i5 3570k: stock Intel cooling(Upgrading later) EDIT: Running at 31C-35C
Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz
OCZ Modxstream 650w psu
Asrock z77 Extreme 6 mobo (Awesome Mobo)EDIT: Running at 32C
NZXT Switch Black Matte (I love this case)

Basically I am playing battlefield 3 on the new Intel HD 4000 graphics, and they can run the game pretty smooth at about 1024x720 (not sure of exact res).
Which is pretty awesome for not having a high end video card, to be honest I am quite impressed with the integrated graphics. I will be upgrading to a GTX 670 when I have the money and get some stuff situated.

Anyways I am very new at overclocking and have tried myself to overclock this PC. First few attempts were failure to boot, and another few were a sudden freeze in my system while loading up the game.

Can anyone assist me of overclocking? Mostly concerned overclocking the GPU for better in-game performance.

Thanks and sorry for the long *** post.

What's the EXACT model of RAM, including the quantity? You can probably hit 4.4GHz w/ Vcore at ~ +0.020 - +0.030V = ~ 1.21 - 1.23V, LLC (Load-Line Cal.) at Level 3, CPU PLL on Auto or 1.832V, PLL OverVoltage enabled, SpeedStep disabled, Turbo Voltage Boost of ~ +0.004V, C1E enabled, and iGPU disabled.

What's the EXACT model of RAM, including the quantity? You can probably hit 4.4GHz w/ Vcore at ~ +0.020 - +0.030V = ~ 1.21 - 1.23V, LLC (Load-Line Cal.) at Level 3, CPU PLL on Auto or 1.832V, PLL OverVoltage enabled, SpeedStep disabled, Turbo Voltage Boost of ~ +0.004V, C1E enabled, and iGPU disabled.

Model: CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9

Quantity: 2 Ram sticks

Speed: DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)

Capacity: 8GB 4x2

Also I am not quite sure about the voltages and stuff.
I have uploaded a picture.
20120710143554662.jpg

I am not sure where Vcore is and what you mean by: +0.020 - +0.030V = ~ 1.21 - 1.23V,
Are the +0.020V and +0.030V just for the CPU or is the 0.020 for cpu and 0.030 for the gpu? Also I could not find C1E.
Should it be in Offset mode? Or fixed mode?
Again this is my first time overclocking.

Thanks.

Leave iGPU at the default of Auto, and adjust CPU Voltage = Vcore to an offset voltage of +0.020V (up to ~+0.030V if required for stability). CPU Load-Line Calibration is located on the OC Tweaker--> CPU Configuration screen (adjust to Level 3), along w/ Internal PLL Overvoltage (set to Enabled), Intel SpeedStep Technology (set to Disabled), and Additional Turbo voltage (set to +0.004V). The Advanced--> CPU Configuration screen is where you'll find Enhanced Halt State (C1E); set to Enabled.

Leave iGPU at the default of Auto, and adjust CPU Voltage = Vcore to an offset voltage of +0.020V (up to ~+0.030V if required for stability). CPU Load-Line Calibration is located on the OC Tweaker--> CPU Configuration screen (adjust to Level 3), along w/ Internal PLL Overvoltage (set to Enabled), Intel SpeedStep Technology (set to Disabled), and Additional Turbo voltage (set to +0.004V). The Advanced--> CPU Configuration screen is where you'll find Enhanced Halt State (C1E); set to Enabled.

Boot up stalls at bios startup screen, had to clear cmos.

I used +0.020V maybe try and go higher?
Also the Load line calibration switches for the GPU one second its on auto then I change some options another second its on 2 then on 3. What should it be on?
Thanks.

iGPU LLC needs to be left on Auto, including iGPU voltage. CPU LLC is what needs to be set to Level 3. And yes, you can try +0.030V for the Vcore offset. Also make sure either the DDR3-1600 XMP profile is set, or manually adjust the DRAM frequency, four primary DRAM timings and DRAM voltage to 9-9-9-24 at 1.5V. If you still get a no POST, lower the multiplier (CPU Ratio) to x43 and try again.

iGPU LLC needs to be left on Auto, including iGPU voltage. CPU LLC is what needs to be set to Level 3. And yes, you can try +0.030V for the Vcore offset. Also make sure either the DDR3-1600 XMP profile is set, or manually adjust the DRAM frequency, four primary DRAM timings and DRAM voltage to 9-9-9-24 at 1.5V. If you still get a no POST, lower the multiplier (CPU Ratio) to x43 and try again.

Okay just so I know I have everything right.

I am on the settings you told me with +0.030V.

I was suppose to turn on Advanced 30 Turbo?
I think thats what it is called in the bios.

Anyways I'm running at 4.4 GHz and 1600Mhz GPU
All at around 30C-38C.

I am going to start up battlefield 3 right now :)
Thanks for your help I will post back with any problems.

System froze after 5 mins of gameplay.

I turned off Advanced Turbo 30 and just overclocked it manually.

Running at 4.4 GHz and 1400 MHz GPU.

Seems stable atm, are there any test benches I should be running after an overclock to see if its stable?
Thanks.

Why did you enable auto-overclocking w/ AT 30? There's been no mention of auto-overclocking in this thread up to this point.

Why did you enable auto-overclocking w/ AT 30? There's been no mention of auto-overclocking in this thread up to this point.

Before I thought that was the advanced turbo boost, and when I enabled it it allowed me to overclock the CPU ratio.

But after figuring out that you can do it manually.
It was my mistake.

Loaded core temp's in the 90C range are too high. Lower the clock speed down to 4.2-4.3GHz and the Vcore offset to ~ +0.020V until you get better cooling. Also post the Core Voltage as shown on the CPU tab of CPU-Z while running Prime.

Loaded core temp's in the 90C range are too high. Lower the clock speed down to 4.2-4.3GHz and the Vcore offset to ~ +0.020V until you get better cooling. Also post the Core Voltage as shown on the CPU tab of CPU-Z while running Prime.

Temps are still pretty high, but when will I be using my CPU at 100% load?
Running battlefield for about 30 mins and I am at a steady 45C-55C.

cpuv.png

100C is when it slows down itself to prevent damage. You want to stay mid-80s at most under load.

Are you on the stock cooler? You probably shouldn't overvolt at all on the stock.

100C is when it slows down itself to prevent damage. You want to stay mid-80s at most under load.

Are you on the stock cooler? You probably shouldn't overvolt at all on the stock.

Actually it is 105º I hit it all the time and it kills performance. The 105º is to keep you away from 130º

Last edited:

Yes I am on stock cooler.

I just got done changing some of my bios settings to improve my overclock on my 3570k. I have an ASUS Sabertooth Z77 board and used the OC Tuner when I first built the rig to get to 4.2ghz. I just followed some of the suggestions in this thread and was able to get it up to 4.5ghz. I left offset voltage on auto, CPU LLC to high, internal PLL overvoltage enabled, CPU PLL on auto, and enhanced halt state C1E enabled. My core temp went up quite a bit, from 56C to 82C max in Prime95 small ffts, but from what I understand this is fine as this chip just plain runs hot and is designed to do so. I have a Zalman CNPS 9900MaxB for a cooler right now, I plan to go to water cooling soon, and I think it will work for now. Temps from HWmonitor: Idle --- 30C, Load --- 82C, room temp --- 23C. Good luck with your OC.

Back