• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus 480 upgrade over 9800GTX+ 1 gig?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
It will be a big performance jump. For 250 $ its a steal, but its a last gen card. It is noisy and runs hot. The 600 series cars will come out soon though.

As I always say, its your money :D

Its a big upgrade..yes.

Tell me volume....when is.the 6 series coming out? I haven't heard a peep and you are alluding to the fact to wait?

Huge upgrade! the 480 does run a little on the warm side but its no reason to stay away from the card. $250 price tag is awesome!
600 series would be december of this year at the EARLIEST. Havn't heard much of anything about it at all.

Its a big upgrade..yes.

Tell me volume....when is.the 6 series coming out? I haven't heard a peep and you are alluding to the fact to wait?

Good question ED :D I read that it MAY come out with the Sandy Bridge-E procs in Q4 this year. For the waiting factor, I said that they will come soon (5-6 months) compared to the age of the universe, witch is a very short time. hehe

But, if I were you OP, I woud grab that on the spot. As I said earlier, it runs hot but if you have a case with good airflow, that problem is solved.

It will be a big performance jump. For 250 $ its a steal, but its a last gen card. It is noisy and runs hot. The 600 series cars will come out soon though.

As I always say, its your money :D

I wouldn't really call it a last-gen card...the 500 series was released within a few months of the 400 series. I would say that they are part of the same generation, but the 500 series is more efficient.

The 480 would be a huge jump from what your currently using, something in the order of at least 3x the performance, if not more. At $250, your not going to find anything even close to that performance in the price range.

It runs hot and can be loud, but doesn't have to be. Make sure your case is well ventilated and use a custom fan profile with afterburner.

Think of it like this, your getting 90% of the performance a 580 offers for half the price. At that rate, I would put up with a bit of heat and noise.

But, if I were you OP, I woud grab that on the spot. As I said earlier, it runs hot but if you have a case with good airflow, that problem is solved.

the problem is addressed but not solved, sadly =(

those cards need either water cooling or a huge aftermarket fan to keep em low.

Back