• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ASUS A8V Deluxe Overclocking Guide -- Discussion

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Can anyone point me in a direction on how to work with the RAM? I got my computer semi stable at 2475mhz (275HTT and 1.55v), it is stable in windows (so far) but Prime95 isnt too happy ATM.

Hi SuperNade and thank you for the welcome :)

Right now I don't have other RAM but I'll do this soon. Corsair configurator recommends the memory as "BEST OVERCLOCKING". The DRAM Stable settings Database says the chips are Hynix D5 but it seems they are TCCD (ramguy). It doesn't look like the best choice anymore. :(

The CPU is a CBBID but, as I said before, it runs@2500MHz with the memory@208MHz. It passed MemTest @250 (1:1) only with 2T Enabled.
VCore is 1.525V. Tried up to 1.6V, no difference.

I did some tests: 2.5-3-3-x-1T timings -> up to 234MHz. I tried to set trcd@2 but it froze and CPR re-setted the BIOS.
Strange (or not), now I can't run 2-2-2-X-1T@200MHz, only 2-3-3-X-1T no matter what voltage I use. :confused:

Mate,

The ramguy is right. I'll change it in the database. Sadly, TCCD isn't fully exploited by this board. People have reported some measure of success with various TCCD. I, personally have hit 250MHz, 2.5-4-3-10-1T. Not the best result for expensive RAM. :rolleyes:

How long did you burn it in? Something is seriously wrong here. Can you try an older BIOS and see what happens? Or else, try a newer beta BIOS and see what happens?

Recently, I changed the memory from Kingmax PC4000 (Hynix D5 ) to Patriot XBLK. The following is my testing result:

CPU Winny 3000+@250*9
HTT Ratio: 3X
Memory: 200 1T 2.5-3-5-3
Vcore: 1.55V
Vdimm: 2.7V

There are several issues I would like to point out:

1. It seems that the newest bios (1014.008) is a little better than 1010.007 for ocing. For bios 1010.007, I need to put 1.6V on CPU to pass super pi test for FSB 250MHz and 1.625V for FSB 255MHz. After updating to 1014.008, I only need 1.55 V and 1.575 V respectively.

2. The system can boot into window with CPU 260*9, memory 200 1T 2.5-3-6-3, but can not pass super pi and prime95 test.

3. CPU stepping of CBBID 0451 DPBW seems to be the worst for ocing. The system can never run Primer95 torture testmore than 10 minutes at FSB 255MHz, although I already have put 1.65V on the core. From the following data,

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=319185

it seems that the CPU steppings of CBBHD/CBBFD are better than that of CBBID in ocing.

4. Patriot XBLK still seems to be good enough for moderate ocing. I can run memtest 1.6 236MHz 1T 2-3-3-6 and 255MHz 1T 2.5-3-3-6 more than two hours and only get one error at test7. I will do higher frequency memory test in the near future.

It seems that all of us hit that 250MHz wall. I do know whether it due to CPU or Motherboard.

Super Nade said:
Mate,

The ramguy is right. I'll change it in the database. Sadly, TCCD isn't fully exploited by this board. People have reported some measure of success with various TCCD. I, personally have hit 250MHz, 2.5-4-3-10-1T. Not the best result for expensive RAM. :rolleyes:

How long did you burn it in? Something is seriously wrong here. Can you try an older BIOS and see what happens? Or else, try a newer beta BIOS and see what happens?

After adding Vcore to 1.7V, lowing Memory to 3-4-4-8 and add Vdimm 2.8V, I still can not pass superpi 1M at FSB 260MHz. I am pretty sure that 250MHz is the limition.

Any one having CPU CBBID 0451 and Asus A8V Rev 2 combination breaks though 250MHz?

250 MHz FSB? That is strange :confused:

I had it upto 275MHz on a Newcastle! The first thing that comes to mind is the BIOS. ASUS are not known for their stellar BIOS support (unlike DFI), so one would be forced to wait. Sadly, modded BIOSes are few and far between, so tough break on that account.

Just as a pointer, I hit 260MHz 2.5-3-3-10-1T stable with my XBLK's.

I clearly remember the disaster with the Winchesters. Everybody had this great Winchester but were plagued by system instabilities. As always, a crappy 1007-1009 BIOS was the culprit :rolleyes:

I would like to point out I can enter into windows under 275MHz with memory 1:1 2.5-3-3-6, but can not pass superpi and prime95 test.

Super Nade, Are you able to run 275MHz stably?

Super Nade said:
250 MHz FSB? That is strange :confused:

I had it upto 275MHz on a Newcastle! The first thing that comes to mind is the BIOS. ASUS are not known for their stellar BIOS support (unlike DFI), so one would be forced to wait. Sadly, modded BIOSes are few and far between, so tough break on that account.

Just as a pointer, I hit 260MHz 2.5-3-3-10-1T stable with my XBLK's.

I clearly remember the disaster with the Winchesters. Everybody had this great Winchester but were plagued by system instabilities. As always, a crappy 1007-1009 BIOS was the culprit :rolleyes:

jeeplover said:
I would like to point out I can enter into windows under 275MHz with memory 1:1 2.5-3-3-6, but can not pass superpi and prime95 test.

Super Nade, Are you able to run 275MHz stably?

Absolutely yes! I no longer own the board nor the CPU so I can't duplicate those results. However, I'll try to dig up some old screenshots for your viewing pleasure :).

I think your problem is with the 2.5-3-3-6. Did you try 2.5-3-3-10 or 2.5-3-4-10 ?

*Note*
I said my HTT scaled upto 275MHz infact 279MHz but I ran under a divider diffrent from 1:1!

I set memory 3-4-4-10 and can not stablize the system under 260MHz. I think it is not the issue of memory but CPU or motherboard.

Since you can stably run under 275MHz, why do you switch to DFI? Just curious.

What your old cpu stock frequency? 1.8G or 2G?

Super Nade said:
Absolutely yes! I no longer own the board nor the CPU so I can't duplicate those results. However, I'll try to dig up some old screenshots for your viewing pleasure :).

I think your problem is with the 2.5-3-3-6. Did you try 2.5-3-3-10 or 2.5-3-4-10 ?

*Note*
I said my HTT scaled upto 275MHz infact 279MHz but I ran under a divider diffrent from 1:1!

jeeplover said:
I set memory 3-4-4-10 and can not stablize the system under 260MHz. I think it is not the issue of memory but CPU or motherboard.

Since you can stably run under 275MHz, why do you switch to DFI? Just curious.

What your old cpu stock frequency? 1.8G or 2G?

I don't thisnk this board likes CAS 3. I could not even boot into Windows with CAS 3 (both Patriot XBLK and Corsair Value RAM).

Why did I switch to DFI ?
The A8V is an excellent board with a decent feature set. However, I wanted more control and the high VDimm on the DFI board was very attractive for my BH-5, which was wasting away. My only gripe with the A8V was the limited DRAM Voltage and the fact that it didn't run my TCCD to its fullest potential. 279Mhz was the absolute wall I hit. One could blame my 130nm Newcastle for it, but I believe people with Winchesters had similar problems.

Nothing wrong with the board, I just wanted a bit more features in terms of overclockability. Also, at that time modding a less fancy DFI Ultra-D to SLI seemed attactive. Since then I've sold my 6600GT and I'll be running an X800XL .

Let me emphasize that there was nothing wrong with either the board or the 6600GT, however, something could be seriously wrong with me :p

Hehe, interesting.

I am also considering switch to DFI nf3 Ultra-d after more and more people confirm the Rev 2 is much better than Rev 1.

Super Nade, you have not answered my question: Do you have to low cpu multiplier to reach 279MHz FSB? I am still thinking the 250MHz limitation due to CPU because I can stably run 270*8.5=2.3G on that board but can not do 255*9=2.3G. Really weird.

Super Nade said:
I don't thisnk this board likes CAS 3. I could not even boot into Windows with CAS 3 (both Patriot XBLK and Corsair Value RAM).

Why did I switch to DFI ?
The A8V is an excellent board with a decent feature set. However, I wanted more control and the high VDimm on the DFI board was very attractive for my BH-5, which was wasting away. My only gripe with the A8V was the limited DRAM Voltage and the fact that it didn't run my TCCD to its fullest potential. 279Mhz was the absolute wall I hit. One could blame my 130nm Newcastle for it, but I believe people with Winchesters had similar problems.

Nothing wrong with the board, I just wanted a bit more features in terms of overclockability. Also, at that time modding a less fancy DFI Ultra-D to SLI seemed attactive. Since then I've sold my 6600GT and I'll be running an X800XL .

Let me emphasize that there was nothing wrong with either the board or the 6600GT, however, something could be seriously wrong with me :p

Need help with overclock

I can even get to 2.4 stable. Even 2300 won,t finish super pi 2M.

jeeplover said:
Hehe, interesting.

I am also considering switch to DFI nf3 Ultra-d after more and more people confirm the Rev 2 is much better than Rev 1.

Super Nade, you have not answered my question: Do you have to low cpu multiplier to reach 279MHz FSB? I am still thinking the 250MHz limitation due to CPU because I can stably run 270*8.5=2.3G on that board but can not do 255*9=2.3G. Really weird.

Mate,

The absolute max CPU OC freq is fixed. You can reach it via a high Multiplier and low HTT combo or a low Multiplier high HTT combo.

I used a low multiplier as I was running a Newcastle.

Sorry to barge into this thread, but I've been having no luck OCing my NewCastle 3400 (yes there are S939 3400s). I've tried lowering the HTT and raising voltage. RAM is not an issue unless the A8V divider is failing or something.
Specs
AMD64 3400+ 939
A8V Deluxe rev 1.xx w/latest BIOS as of this post
1024MB Mushkin Green Line (basic, 2.5-3-3-7 or 8 can't remember)
120GB HDD
Onboard sound only
GeForce 6800NU
Ultra X-Connect 400w
Two front case fans - intake
One back fan - outtake (is this a word?)
Custom cooler on graphics card
Stock cooler on processor

OK, FSB/HTT is at 240MHz, divider on memory is 3/2. Keeps memory at DDR400. CPUZ confirms this. Proc is 2.4GHz (2.2GHz stock). Volts are stock. Increasing volts doesn't do anything AFAIK because AsusProbe reports that the processor is getting 1.502v when I set volts to be 1.525 - 1.575. So the processor just gets REALLY hot (65C+). I'm getting random restarts, and failures in Prime95. Memtest hasn't been run because the memory is held at stock. (DDR400)

AdmSovereign said:
Sorry to barge into this thread, but I've been having no luck OCing my NewCastle 3400 (yes there are S939 3400s). I've tried lowering the HTT and raising voltage. RAM is not an issue unless the A8V divider is failing or something.
Specs
AMD64 3400+ 939
A8V Deluxe rev 1.xx w/latest BIOS as of this post
1024MB Mushkin Green Line (basic, 2.5-3-3-7 or 8 can't remember)
120GB HDD
Onboard sound only
GeForce 6800NU
Ultra X-Connect 400w
Two front case fans - intake
One back fan - outtake (is this a word?)
Custom cooler on graphics card
Stock cooler on processor

OK, FSB/HTT is at 240MHz, divider on memory is 3/2. Keeps memory at DDR400. CPUZ confirms this. Proc is 2.4GHz (2.2GHz stock). Volts are stock. Increasing volts doesn't do anything AFAIK because AsusProbe reports that the processor is getting 1.502v when I set volts to be 1.525 - 1.575. So the processor just gets REALLY hot (65C+). I'm getting random restarts, and failures in Prime95. Memtest hasn't been run because the memory is held at stock. (DDR400)
I have the same CPU and motherboard. I have heard of a lot of problems with the BIOS versions from 1.10 onward. (There have been issues with the 5:3 and 3:2 dividers.)

I personally stick with 1.09. I run 260MHz x 10 = 2.60GHz at 1:1 with timings 2.5-3-3-8 2T. It runs great.

That would be version 1009 right? On the Asus website, they have version 1008, 1009 etc. What kind of RAM are you running? Also, what cooling are you using? I have Mushkin Green Line (read:value) and stock cooling...(with AS5) I tested 240MHz/10.0 and...
My PC restarted as soon as I started Prime95. RAM was actually running under stock, 173MHz x 2...Need to find a divider that runs as close to DDR400 as possible. This RAM hates being OCed.

Last edited:
Nice RAM, I'm running this RAM but the sticker on mine says 2.5-3-3-8 and it is stable in memtest at these settings. BIOS downgraded to the version you suggested, and I was using a 3:2 which produced DDR400 but the BIOS downgrade now produces actual RAM speed of ~173MHz with 3:2...so I've stopped OCing until I can get this sorted out by you and the folks at Maximum PC....grrrrr...not...fast...enough...
Your fan was DISCONTINUED according to xoxide...looks nice too.

UPDATE: Tried HTT 240MHz (HTT x3) with RAM at DDR333 (actual speed is DDR400, RAM won't go over that without 20k memtest errors and I stopped it...). Upped vDIMM to 2.8 (most the mobo can do without DDR Booster) as suggested over at MaxPC. Stable through memtest. Erred in Prime95. Fine in AquaMark 3. Crashed when I tried to play Halo.

Back