• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus Apex owners experience?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

fosk

Looking for a 8700k build with it hopefully just a month away and I am wondering what Apex owners have to say about their experience? From what all the reviews say they big them up as overclocker world record chasing boards with better max overclock capabilities but none really give the kind of specific and convincing details that people who are not already expereinced with them are looking for.

If I'm looking for a decent Overclock of 400-500mhz without insane temps/Vcore, will this board have a much higher chance than a Hero board for an example? Before we take into silicon lottery.

If the stripped down features are not a problem will this board be perfectly fine as a daily driver?

I'm looking at this for 240hz gaming and trying to get over that 200-250 FPS hump to a more stable 240, currently im on a 4790k @ 4.6ghz 16gb 2400mhz 11-13-13-35 ram, SSD ect Gigabyte 1080 Extreme @ 2050mhz core. Will pretty much get new everything other than GPU and Case.

What can you guys who have used this board for daily use and gaming (overclocking) tell me about it, my build and my brothers 4770k/4790k were both done with Heros, as where my original i7-920 build had an Extreme and had a HUGE overclock with little effort.

Just get a solid board with the features you want.

An ambient cooling solution will hit the wall before a good middle range board does

I However if you want to shell out for a top end over clocking board have at it :thup:

Like Witchy said most any "Z" chipset motherboard will do what you want. The CPU decides when it stops and how hot it'll be not the board. The APEX is good for memory OC which isn't that important for day to day use. Second is it's a great motherboard built for liquid nitrogen. For most users it too stripped

If you aren't benchmarking at Hwbot or going cold, save your dollars and get a mid range board. It won't hold any CPU back with ambient cooling. ;)

The i7 8700k stock turbo will be 4.7GHz a 400 to 500Mhz overclock 24/7 will be stretching it on ambient cooling.

4.7 GHz for one core. 4.3 is max for all cores. 5Ghz all cores may be in the cards with water. I mean, I can run a 10c at 4.5Ghz, and a good one at 4.7 GHz. ;)

OK?????

All I am saying is I think it can be possible considering I can run a 10c (which is more difficult to reach higher speeds) at 4.5 GHz already.

4.7 GHz for one core. 4.3 is max for all cores. 5Ghz all cores may be in the cards with water. I mean, I can run a 10c at 4.5Ghz, and a good one at 4.7 GHz. ;)

How do you feel about Noctua D15 v Corsair all in one Liquid? I know the h100i is dead even but do you guys have opinion on the newer 110/115i. Its much better idea to hammer the Noctua fan while gaming then all in one?

What benchmark sites do you specifically take as more reputable than others? You suggested a Maximus Hero will OC CPU just good well as the Apex? And are theres any brands you strongly suggest over Asus?

My current CPU only hits 4.6 up from 4.4, im really just looking to see if I can get that extra 10-20% FPS boost with 8700k build

https://www.3dmark.com/fs/13558689

The hero will be a fine choice.

You arent gaining 10-20% fps with the cpu change you are going to make though. A couple percent, sure. 10? Maybe in a few titles... 20% youd be hard pressed to see that gain.

Back