• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus Crosshair IV crossfire problem?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Cown

Hi Guys

I just installed an new gfx in my system, now running with 2 x 4890 gfx.

My problem is that I don't know if I did it the right way.

The cards are placed in PCI-E slot 1 and PCI-E slot 2, making them run in a PCI-E speed of 8x instead of 16 which I have with running 1 card in PCI-E slot 1. (CCC recognizes crossfire btw.)

My question is, do I have to place both cards in a slot that says PCI-E X16, or doesn't it matter? If I have to, the crossfire connection cable will become too short :eek:

More about the mobo:

http://www.clunk.org.uk/forums/reviews/32391-asus-crosshair-iv-formula-living-review.html

You should be able to run them 16x 16x. Check your mobo manual for which slots to place them in. Sorry I dont know and that link wasnt too much help either (not your fault of course, I just couldnt find the specific answer).

If they are not running at x16, you may want to up the PCI-E bus a bit. This should get you your x16. And the Cross IV should run x16 x16 for 2 cards, 3 cards I belive it ends up at x16 x16 x8. Can't remember :(

You should be able to run them 16x 16x. Check your mobo manual for which slots to place them in. Sorry I dont know and that link wasnt too much help either (not your fault of course, I just couldnt find the specific answer).

I've lookede in the manual but nothing Washington show :(

What do you mean by upping?

let me pull up your manual to help you out.

Asus's site is so slow today :(

Last edited:
So here is the information I found on your Manual:

Page xii:

Expansion Slots:

• 3x PCIe 2.0 x16 slots (dual at x16 or triple at x16/ x8 / x8 mode)
    1 x PCIe 2.0 x4 slot
    2 x PCI 2.2 slots

On page 86, PCIE Frequency is talked about. This option will push the bus speed a bit higher so that you can get the full bandwith of your PCIe.

Thanks for the help guys!!

I figured it out, I'm a giant idiot :D I have to use slot 1 and 3 and use the connection cable that came with the mobo... I was useing the one from the gfx which was shorter, didn't notice the right one came with the mobo... Thanks again guy :) I bow my head in shame!

Thanks for the help guys!!

I figured it out, I'm a giant idiot :D I have to use slot 1 and 3 and use the connection cable that came with the mobo... I was useing the one from the gfx which was shorter, didn't notice the right one came with the mobo... Thanks again guy :) I bow my head in shame!
I'm glad you found it - I was going to start quoting the motherboard manual for you if you didn't. :p

People often get confused with the double x16 configuration so don't take it too bad ... :)

Back