• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z no beep...?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jason Webb

Hello all,

I received my new MB today... I'm no stranger to building my own rigs... I have been doing so for 10 years. Although, this one is really annoying because I don't understand why there isn't any beep from the MB speaker when there should be. It's a new build and the previous MB the OBMBS wad working fine but know if doesn't. Without any beeps I can't tell if there is any issues at startup or and problems with hardware.

The bottom line is that I can see it boots fine, I can access the BIOS and I've update to the latest BIOS build for this MB and it's now running the latest stable build. still no beeps with new BIOS update. My memory is a little fuzzy, I do recall there are commands in Command Prompt to tell if the OBMBS is working to send a commend to the speaker and it beeps. Although, I cannot remember the commands.

If I can send a command to the speaker then at least I know it it is working. Personally, I think the speaker is working fine... for some reason it doesn't beep at all which concerns me a little. I tried thevconnection backwards but still the same problem.

Thanks in advance,

JD Webb

Last edited:
Shut the system down and pull the memory out, start the system back up it should beep and that will tell you if it will notify you of a system malfunction!

Shut the system down and pull the memory out, start the system back up it should beep and that will tell you if it will notify you of a system malfunction!

It's a bit late for dithering about with a MB. I try a few things tomorrow, up for work in the morning. :(

I was going to try this one but, for some reason I decided on not bothering. Must have been a blonde moment.

I will say one thing, I think ASUS have pulled their latest BIOS update because there was 5 BIOS updates yesterday and a lot of people have been experiencing insane core voltages and issues with this BIOS. I'm on 704.

I must have had my dull head on today because I couldn't remember for the life of me what the command lines was to create a beep.

I have created a simple batch files and attached this with this post so if anybody else wants to use it they can. It's just a beep.

Download and change the file extension to .bat to save as a batch file. I shall try this tomorrow. There isn't an OS at the moment so I shall run Windows 8 and then run this batch file and see if the MB Speaker will beep.

Remember open this file in Notepad++ and save it as a bat file or use Notepad and save this as beep.bat

Attachments

• beep (2).txt
    65 bytes · Views: 118
I've got one of these suckers (non-z version). I don't think it has an onboard speaker - you'd have to connect your case speaker to the appropriate jumper to get the beep codes.

However it does have the "Q-LED" feature - next to the main power connection, it has 4 LEDs for CPU, RAM, GPU, and Boot device - if its hanging at boot/before post, one of those will stay lit.

If you've got a laptop, you could also connect it with the ROG connect cable, install ROG connect/RC tweakit on the laptop, turn on the switch for "ROG connect" on the motherboard, then start RC Poster on the laptop - it will open a window that gives a text display of the BIOS boot codes, telling you exactly what its hanging on.

I killed a 960T in my CVF yesterday, and the RC Poster read "CPU initialization" while the QLED was stuck on CPU solidly lit, and just the fans ran without posting or booting at all. On a normal boot, you'll see CPU light and go out, then RAM, GPU, and boot device cycles the same way.

Yep.... I.M.O.G. is right...

Most of Asus's new boards are coming without speakers on them...

Yeah found out today... I asked my IT Manager and he said the same... I think that I should RTFM next time... I think because this MB comes with Q-Code which you'd have to be blind to miss the two big Digits at the top of the MB. I'm not bothered with the lack of beeps... in fact I found it annoying. why supply a MB that has a connector for a speaker if it's disabled by default. if you load this MB and watch the Q-Code and have the manual open to the codes you can follow the sequences.

Code 37 - 3A Post-Memory System Agent initialization is started

Code 3B - 3E Post-Memory PCH initialization is started

Code 99 Super IO initialization which is what comes up once you're loaded. This MB has some good new features.

Thanks for the replies... really appreciate your input.

*** Update ***

I've been building my own rigs for such a long time now, you get to know when something is wrong, it is like your car... you know your car inside out, it's your baby. Pardon the expression, but you understand where I am coming from. I know from the sound of the system and the votages and temperatures are working how they should be.

However, it is odd that the other MB the MB speaker worked fine and on this MB the speaker doesn't work at all...? I Shall speak to NZXT and see if they can send me a new speaker. To be honest, I don't think I will make a difference.

I am the kind of person who will by a product and **** law i end up with the one which haas a fault. I need to speak to ASUS about this and see if they have removed the Post BEEP because the MB comes with Q-Code you can tell what is happening to the MB when you turn on your PC. I would have like ASUS to have an external Q-Code so you could see this from the outside as well. But my chassis I can see through the top of the grill through the fans what the status of the board is in.

The system has been on now for 30 mins and the temperatures from CPU and MB are fine.

I shall get back to you when ASUS have come back with an answer.

Last edited:
You might want to skip Windows8 and go with Windows7...many problems with Windows8...I've heard a lot of bad things about Windows8.

my chv-f has post beep, came with no speaker so i picked one up, why asus ships without one i don't know.

Back