• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus M5A97 R2.0 for an FX8350 ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I wonder why that is? The power requirements should be no different on that compared to a 965 right? Both are just 4 core CPU's. Heck I figured that would be no problem since I am actually using an older CPU AM3 compared to the mobo being an AM3+. Interesting.

"poco242" when you make such such as statement about power to Deneb and power to FX-6300 being about the same...it just means you have not really been listening to us about the high current draw of FX and how HOT they do run.

The 4 core FX and the 4 core Deneb are not even alike in how they can beat the crap out of a mobo. That is why we spend so dang much time trying to help users make good mobo choices "in advance" and not after the fact.
RGone...

poco the reality is this, the Fx 6300 is a 95w chip when run at stock settings and only stock settings. I was hoping Caddi would see this thread and comment because I knew he had the same board. Will the 6300 work on that motherboard at stock settings probably, but even if you ran stock clocks and disabled the power saving features I'd be surprised if you didn't start having issues. The 95w TDP is laughable if you disable the power saving features and start overclocking.

OK. I was going by the 95 w rating. If you have a set voltage at 95 watts you will get a set current. I figured my current CPU at 125 watts will use more power. I have been listening, but like I said, this is a 95 watt chip. I realize it will pull more power if overclocked, but I am sure my 965 does as well. I figured with a 95 watt chip to start I would have some headroom. If I ran is stock I just don;t understand why I would have issues? Please explain.

Is there a program that will show the wattage the CPU is using? Core Temp shows it, but I doubt it is accurate. It never seems to change. I have a watt meter I could hook to my rig to get an idea of the change from stock speeds to OC speeds, but if I could get an actual reading of the CPU it would be helpful.

the 4170 is 125 watt tdp, my 6300's are 125 watt so you have a chance, a snowballs chance at that.
I know of nothting that can read the wattage or a board that reads it.

What board would you suggest? The sabertooth or crosshair v? I bought all of this stuff before ever reading up on it. I looked at both of them but the board I got had better reviews on Amazon. I didn't know any better at the time. It had nothing to do with the price difference. I have read since then of a lot of people having success with my board and the 6300 at stock speeds, but can not find much info on OC'ing success except for a few in the 4.3 or lower range. Hardly worth the effort IMO when it does 4.1 in "turbo" mode stock. It would be a letdown after getting the 965 stable at 800mhz faster with relative ease.

bang for the buck? sabertooth.
glitz and glam, features you'll never use, chv-f or chv-f-z

If you're not looking to push it to the moon the Asus M5A99X Evo or 990Fx Pro would be pretty good choices. I have a tough time saying this because they have been sketchy though the revisions but the Gigabyte 990Fxa UD3 is on paper a good board and the latest revision R 4.0 seems to be ok, but I still don't trust recommending them. If you're really looking to push a Sabertooth would be my choice. It's a top notch board without all the bells and whistles of the CHV.

heres what a sweet 24/7 965 clock looks like with an all in one cooler on it.

this runs all day long, no reboots, and with 4 fans on the rad, quiet as a tit mouse.

Attachments

• 4200.JPG
    4200.JPG
    355.4 KB · Views: 517
I game on a 6300 with the sabertooth, I would not trade it for the world, games at 5.0 and up, with my mid range custom loop I never hear the fans other than the very highly clocked 760 video card.

It must take a lot more voltage to get to 4.3ghz. I had it stable at 4.2ghz for 8 hours on prime95 with 1.44v on air. I have tried for 4.3, but need to get my AIO cooler on. Temps were getting out of hand. No time yet.

poco, when overclocking you get to a plateau and it takes considerably more voltage to break through to just one more .1 ghz than it did for the ones before it. Yes, very normal. Has to do with electrical resistance.

You guys have been VERY helpful. Thank You. I think I will continue to play with the 965 on this board and later get the M5A99 or a Sabertooth and move up. I am going to post on my other thread. Got the Thermaltake 3.0 Extreme hooked up now. Temps are down almost 20C at 4.2ghz on prime95 !!!

Back