• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus M5a99FX pro r2.0 + AMD FX 8350 Vishera (B.E)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Both the Red Box and Black Box Cpu temps are important on FX-8350.

You should open HWMonitor and leave it open on the desktop and run Prime95 in blend mode for at least 20 mins or until there is a worker drop out or blue screen or the Red Box CPU temp exceeds 70c and/OR the Black Box temp exceeds 60c. Then post that HWMonitor capture and we will have a much better idea of your system working ability. Doing as advised will give a view of the temps before/during and after P95 Blend mode has run for the 20mins and have the min/max volts and temps logged. It would be best also to upload the CPUz captures showing CPU TAB, Memory Tab and the SPD tab. You can open CPUz three times from one shortcut and then choose and capture those three tabs.
RGone...

For now I got this... I still havnt changed my Ram to Ripjaws 1866 [but its gonna be replaced soon] :D

Is there any other easy app than prime95 to stress test? somehow Im got no knowledge about prime95..

check.jpg

Prime95 is easy to use, free, and will push your CPU and ram to identify any stability or heat issues. If you can pass P95 for 2 hours odds are you'll never have an issue in day to day use. :thup:
Good to see you got to the root of the problem with the CPU and are up and running again. Now you can have some fun with it. :clap:

Prime95 is easy to use, free, and will push your CPU and ram to identify any stability or heat issues. If you can pass P95 for 2 hours odds are you'll never have an issue in day to day use. :thup:
Good to see you got to the root of the problem with the CPU and are up and running again. Now you can have some fun with it. :clap:

Yes it was found out that the Processor was a JUNK... so they replaced me with a new one.. :attn:
Even im running at stock clock speed im so satisfied.. im still gonna test this baby and push it to some of its limits when I get a newer PSU and a newer RAM with higher specifications.. :attn:

What do you mean by easier? Prime is usually the go to program used for stability here, by using it as a stress test, it keeps us all on the same page if you run into problems.

Results after running prime95 on blend for 20 mins :attn:

CPU TEMP Max: 62c
CPU TEMP Min: 41c

FX 8350 PACKAGE TEMP Max: 49c
FX 8350 PACKAGE TEMP Min: 22c

So what you think? :) Btw its running on stock clock speed 4.0ghz

seeThis.png

When you say stock does that mean everything on auto? I ask because you auto settings are usually volted too high.

Ok but are you manually setting the CPU V_core or is it on auto?

You need to look at both CPU temp (which is really the motherboard socket temp) and package temp (which is the processor temp). CPU temp is maxing out at 62c and package temp is maxing out at 49c. Experience tells us that with the FX CPUs you don't want to exceed a CPU temp of about 70c and a package temp of about 60c. So you have around 8-10c of headroom to overclock with. These temps are about what I would expect with using the Hyper 212+ cooler on the FX-8350 in your hot climate.

We have found that high overclocking of the FX eight core CPUs is only possible with good water cooling and we generally recommend the Corsair H100 as the minimum cooling solution for serious overclocking of these processors because they produce tons of heat when overclocked.

Having said that, you do have a little room to oveclock so my suggestion would be to start increasing the CPU multiplier by .5x increments and see how far you can get on stock voltage. After each .5x increment of increase, run the 20 minute Prime95 blend test with HWMonitor open in the background to keep an eye on temps. I have already given you the temp envelope which you have to work with. When you first fail the Prime95 stress test, give the CPU .025 volts and retest to see if that was sufficient to restore stability. When you have maxed out on temps, don't add any more voltage.

When you think you have reached the highest overclock that temps will allow, run a longer Prime95 blend test (at least 2 hrs.) to confirm stability. If you can't pass that long test, then cut back the CPU multiplier by .5x. Failing the Prime95 stress test means either blue screen, spontaneous restart, lockup or having one or more of the Prime95 core workers stop while the others keep going.

When you say stock does that mean everything on auto? I ask because you auto settings are usually volted too high.

Try manually setting your voltage around 1.32 and see if Prime will run stable. If not bump up the voltage and test untill it will.
EDIT: I would also set the NB voltage to 1.2, I have seen my boards bump it up to the 1.4 range before which is unnecessary for mild OC

Last edited:
You need to look at both CPU temp (which is really the motherboard socket temp) and package temp (which is the processor temp). CPU temp is maxing out at 62c and package temp is maxing out at 49c. Experience tells us that with the FX CPUs you don't want to exceed a CPU temp of about 70c and a package temp of about 60c. So you have around 8-10c of headroom to overclock with. These temps are about what I would expect with using the Hyper 212+ cooler on the FX-8350 in your hot climate.

We have found that high overclocking of the FX eight core CPUs is only possible with good water cooling and we generally recommend the Corsair H100 as the minimum cooling solution for serious overclocking of these processors because they produce tons of heat when overclocked.

Having said that, you do have a little room to oveclock so my suggestion would be to start increasing the CPU multiplier by .5x increments and see how far you can get on stock voltage. After each .5x increment of increase, run the 20 minute Prime95 blend test with HWMonitor open in the background to keep an eye on temps. I have already given you the temp envelope which you have to work with. When you first fail the Prime95 stress test, give the CPU .025 volts and retest to see if that was sufficient to restore stability. When you have maxed out on temps, don't add any more voltage.

When you think you have reached the highest overclock that temps will allow, run a longer Prime95 blend test (at least 2 hrs.) to confirm stability. If you can't pass that long test, then cut back the CPU multiplier by .5x. Failing the Prime95 stress test means either blue screen, spontaneous restart, lockup or having one or more of the Prime95 core workers stop while the others keep going.

Wow! nice guide trents :salute:
Atleast I got an Idea now on how to utilize the fullness of this Hyper 212 EVO. :D
Ok, ill keep you guys posted.. :)

Even if you can get the overclock to 4.3 that will be good since after about 4.3-4.4 the performance increase by further overclocking begins to flat line on this series of CPUs anyway.

here are the temps after running prime95 for 26mins and using the new RAM
Hmmm Im really loving the performance of the CM 212 EVO :thup:

noError.png

Back