• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus Maximus V Extreme Owner Resources - BIOS, Guide, Reviews, and Advice

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

I.M.O.G.

Glorious Leader
Welcome Asus MVE owners. :) This is our official MVE support thread - ask any questions you may have!

The first post of this thread will share resources available for you and be updated an on ongoing basis. The replies and comments are for you to suggest additions to the first post, ask any MVE related questions, and connect with other MVE owners.

I have one of these personally, so I'll be sharing what I find on the subzero cooling side of things.

Reviews:
Reply to thread to add another review!

BIOS - Official:

BIOS - Un-official:
  • BIOS 0402 - 7/2/12 - View attachment MAXIMUS-V-EXTREME-ASUS-0402.zip - 1st update, unknown features
  • BIOS 0010 -7/12/12 - View attachment MAXIMUS-V-EXTREME-ASUS-0010.zip - See spoiler for more details
    Adds:
    IGPU force disable under System agent config/ graphics config/ option -> internal graphics

Adds:
    Pause and rest your CPU/VGA during benching with OCKEY ->
    CTL + F1 = pause
    CTL + F1 = unpause
    If reboot during a pause phase, shutdown and use OCKey to unpause and turn on again to make sure it boots properly without being paused.
  • Reply to thread to add another BIOS!

Tools:
MemTweakit - 6/7/12 - View attachment MemTweakIt_V1017_XPWin7.zip
old - View attachment MemtweakIt-1016-setup.zip

Tweaking Guides:
m5eguide - View attachment m5e4.zip - LN2 tweaking by Shamino

Advice:
http://kingpincooling.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1721
This thread (first post) at kingpin cooling shows how to enable LN2 mode, how to set slow mode, and some other tips.
"Points to watch when running LN2 Cooling for the best cold-bug free runs:
- Use a BCLK of 105MHz or higher
- Find the right CPU PLL Voltage that your CPU likes (can be higher or lower than default)
- Some CPUs may only initialize their high IMC Frequency at a warmer temperature though they may work fine after that
- ‘23’ when trying to boot means cpu imc not able to run at that frequency at that temperature. ‘30’ means the same and a bit more = ‘23’
- Highest DRAM Ratio known to be working = 2933 ratio

With CPU and PSC Chipset DRAM under LN2, it can churn out crazy numbers such as 2x2GB @ 3036MHz CL6-11-7-1T!"
and
A note on LN2’ed DRAMs
PSC scales on cold but ~ frosted temps, maybe -40+C is enough to max out the rams. Might not work too cold. May scale up to ~ 1.95v
BBSE Really scales on cold, the colder the better. May scale up to ~ 2.30v
Samsung just slightly chilled, colder and it gets worse. May scale up to ~ 2.20v
Hynix scales on cold but ~ frosted temps, maybe -40+C is enough to max out the rams. May scale up to ~ 1.95v
PSC are almost always 2GB sticks and typically have rated RAS to CAS Delay much higher than CAS, for eg 8-11-8, 9-11-9, etc
Hynix presets are for 4GB sticks that are usually rated 2133 or more and have slopping upwards and then downwards rated timing, such as 9-11-10, 10-12-11. They normally don’t scale much past 1.67v as well.
Samsung Presets are for 4GB sticks that are usually rated 2133 or more and have slopping upwards and then evening out rated timing, such as 10-12-12. They normally scale up to 1.80v and can do unusually low TRAS at high speeds, such as 21.

Some other very good stuff in there as well.

Subzero

Subzero Insulation: Jump to subzero insulation pics

Last edited:
Here's a unique feature. You can pause the system entirely while benching (if you want to go grab a drink or take a break then come back):

Interesting feature, though I question the ability of it to pause and resume at the brink speeds... or frankly the point of it. If I wanted to leave my bench, I just walk away and let it run or abend as it sees fit.

Does it lower clocks/voltage/etc as well? Perhaps then it would save some LN2/DI or could lower the temps if they are getting too hot. Would 'pausing' effect the outcome of the scores? I have to imagine such a hiccup may do that?

It also has the Subzero sense ports, similar to the R4E, which let you plug a K type thermal probe directly into the motherboard instead of using an external thermal probe. There are 2 probe ports that can be used onboard.

I am not sure if those readings show up in turbov or not? I know they can be displayed on screen via OCKey, but I don't have an OC Key.

Interesting feature, though I question the ability of it to pause and resume at the brink speeds... or frankly the point of it. If I wanted to leave my bench, I just walk away and let it run or abend as it sees fit.

Does it lower clocks/voltage/etc as well? Perhaps then it would save some LN2/DI or could lower the temps if they are getting too hot. Would 'pausing' effect the outcome of the scores? I have to imagine such a hiccup may do that?

The switch he moves in the video is the slow mode switch - you'd pause, turn on slow mode, go away, then come back, turn off slow mode, then unpause. I would also imagine it isn't great for scores, but I guess it'd need to be tested to be sure or by how much.

Another cool feature, which I've heard of but I haven't seen explained exactly before:

shamino said:
Passive flashing of BIOS ROM from ROG Connect USB port (The white USB port at I/O) You have to name the bios rom R5E.ROM and with power supply plugged into the 24pin ATX connector, without CPU/RAM/VGA and powering on, simply just press and hold down the ROG Connect button for 6 seconds and let go. The button’s LED will keep flashing and it will start flashing the BIOS into the ROM onboard. Be patient since it will take some time to finish flashing. You will know it is finished when the LED stops flashing

.Subzero Insulation Instructions

There are many options for how to insulate a motherboard from moisture. This is just the way I do it.

1. Here are shots of the front and back of the board before its violated.

DSC03607.jpg

DSC03608.jpg

2. Here is the back after I've applied liquid electrical tape.

DSC03609.jpg

3. I melt vaseline in the oven at 200F, then apply it with a syringe. Here are shots of being partially done, and completely done:

DSC03610.jpg

DSC03612.jpg

Finally, try not to forget you are cooking vaseline - if you don't leave it in too long this doesn't happen:

DSC03611.jpg

Tested out slow mode tonight, and it was useful... It drops the multi and pulls down cpu frequency. I was able to run superpi1m on a 3770K@6462MHz, but it kept wanting to crash while I was screenshotting... I enabled slow mode, and it let me get the screenshot.

Question: Does the Vaseline in the RAM slot any potential hazard? how will you clean it?
i have not applied vaseline before, and seeing that stuff in the DRAW slot gets me nervous. haha.

Nope, no hazard. It squishes out from between the electrical contacts.

I don't clean it typically, but when I have in the past, I just use a hair dryer to get most the vaseline off, then toss it in the dish washer.

I hate to bump an old thread but anyways... Did asus ever add the pause function (oc key) to the "official" bioses available to consumers or is it only in the 0010 bios?

Back