• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ASUS motherboard no boot no beep no error code

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

saviour2016

Registered
My System is Following
1. CPU - i7 4790K
2. Mobo - ASUS Z97 PRO
3. GPU - AMD R7 260X Sapphire
4. PSU - Cooler Master G550M

My PC stopped suddenly, i tried the reset button several time but it did not work. So i opened it and tried the paper clip method of the PSU. The Fan Runs. So i thought maybe the GPU is in trouble. So i removed the GPU and it works.

However when i keep the GPU with the power cable removed as far as i understand the bios should start. However the cpu fan starts for a split second and stops.

I am using this setup for around 20 Months, and it was working fine. The parts above are in my opinion good quality. So is it possible that my GPU might have died. I mean it did not show any artifact. I feel that my PSU might not be giving enough power in the PCI express so that the GPU is not running.

My question is how can i check which of the part is the troublemaker, is it the PSU, the GPU or the PCI express slot in the motherboard. And can GPU die suddenly like that?

Then my luck turned worse. Now the PC wont start. I now similar problem to this video no post no boot (You can see from this video ( start at 4 min 23 second) that for one time the boot stops abruptly and then retries in my case it just never starts. No matter how many times i press the power button it starts for 2-3 seconds and then stops abruptly) no beep no error nothing

I have done the following
1. Checked the GPU with another cpu+mobo+psu that PC does not start nor does it beeps or shows any error. It seems that it might be really dead
2. Checked if my PSU can run another PC it runs the other PC perfectly, so i think the PSU is alright
3. Checked if other PSU can run my PC, with GPU nothing happens, without GPU the systems starts then stops abruptly no beep no error q-code

Feeling Very Bad. This PC was very expensive

Well, expensive is a pretty relative term (cost can always go up, but going down is another Story) but it´s certainly a very solid gamer build and nothing cheap. Just to say, it can be worse than this, so looking Forward is pretty valid.

Now my limited judgement:

PSU: In my mind a PSU nowadays is rarely failing. It was a issue over ten years ago when most PSUs was immature but nowadays it´s amazing how much the PSU Quality was increasing in General, almost any solid PSU is very reliable, your PSU is no exception. My last PSU dying was way more than 10 years ago and it was a very cheap and way underpowered Shuttle PSU. Even your test is validating that the PSU seems fine, so we can put it to the green list.

CPU: Now a CPU in my mind is a part that is aswell rarely dying as Long as you did not put a excessive OC (with high volt) and bad cooling on it and it Looks like your cooler is more than capable and no crazy clocks or whatelse. Most likely not a CPU issue, so i would put it to the green list. In my whole life i never had any CPU dying... (!) Besides, the MB would be unable to boot up this far in term CPU is dead, so risk is truly very low.

GPU: I would say high Chance it is really dead, yes. If you even tested it on another System, low Chance of failure in judgement. GPUs in General are not known to me to be a risky part (especially because true Gamers are usually exchanging them pretty frequently, every 2-3 years or so) but i already experienced several artifacting pieces and generally some GPUs tend to act less stable as a manufacturer failure. But a busted GPU is still not common, i only had a single GPU being completly busted in my whole life.

MB: I would say high Chance it been busted. Now i dunno if the GPU was causing this because of a electrical short or if the MB was the guilty part (it can happen when a processor or other electronical parts are dying). Now i have to ask, what do you mean by "stopped suddenly"? Freeze, BSOD or a even a Crash of the entire System, it may be of use to be very precise here. But most likely, i got the Impression that your GPU was suffering a sudden death and the electrical short may have damaged your MB as a collateral damage, stuff like this unfortunately can happen when a part is dying, especially a GPU with a pretty strong Connection to the MB able to deliver excessive amount of current in a short period. Although your CPU is most likely save it seems and i guess the MB is now very unstable because of some critical damage. You may try out BIOS reset (CMOS) but i guess there is a high risk the MB was suffering because of a electrical short. Personally i had 3 MBs dying already (one of them simply had bad electrolytic caps as the cause of the issue) so MB i do consider a sensitive part, especially because it can suffer so easy as soon as a high powered part may cause a short, even a short in the USB Slot can burn a MB pretty quick. But a good PSU may detect this issue and may shut down, generally pricy PSUs may offer better protection.

Besides, you got a error Code, it should mean CSM initialization error at step number 79. It can be many reasons but it´s totally possible that a electrical failure of any type (it can be Connections of parts or destroyed electronics in General) is causing it. But in term MB is very unstable it may not even come this far... unless with many luck. However, CPU is either busted or alive, it will not act unstable unless you made some crazy OC stuff or so... (not the case here and it worked perfectly stable in the past), so again, the CPU is fine with high Chance.

But this is just my own view, im not the most experienced user here... so Keep checking out some Reply. ;)

Last edited:
Hmmm... sure, in term Connections of Pins are bad the Error 79 is pretty possible but his CPU was running for years without issue and it kinda Looks surreal to me having a socket issue all of a sudden. Usually this sort of stuff happens in the begining of a new build (bent Pins, bad mount or whatever) and not after years of proper use. I never had this sort of issue ever but it certainly is another stuff to check out: Pins and Mount of the CPU including proper seat. Still, most OC-coolers got such a strong pressure (bigger than Intel spec), as Long as no bent Pins the risk of bad contact with the pins is in my mind pretty low. And the Pins are not a glitchy contact, they got some sort of Spikes, so once they properly attach to the bottom they rarely should fail.

Besides, nope he had no LED Code at all, the LED Buttons on the board are first in line, directly supplied by PSU, the boards condition got almost no meaning here. It just means "PSU OK" nothing else. The CPU condition got Zero meaning even. In term he got a CPU issue, the MB should still be able to stay at the 00 LED Code mode (00 means MB not in use, followed up by 01 = MB fully powered up), i think this happens when MB is properly powered up but otherwhise completely inactive. One single time he got to Code 79. This unstable behaviour is in my mind not typical for a seat or Mount issue. Of Course there is always Odds... it never hurts checking out all the Odds.

Finally, in term he was doing a reseat and checked the Pins and still no luck, then the MB is simply busted... it will not Change the General issue and the CPU is most likely still not the issue here, issue is board related.

Last edited:
Exactly Ivy, The motherboard should say which part is faulty. ASUS motherboard says that. When i remove the CPU from the socket it gives a beep and a 00 Q code. If i remove the RAM and it also gives a beep and a 00 Q code but after i place the two properly nothing happens the fans starts for brief period and the system stops. I will check the CMOS reset route and also try the BIOS flashback of the ASUS see if it changes anything

Yes indeed, i never checked it out to be honest and i never had any CPU or socket issues in my whole life but i do agree, i am pretty sure in term there is no CPU found on the MB (or very bad connection, MB will most likely act the same) then the Asus LED-Code will Show the 00 Digits, but your board is not showing any Digits at all. And one single time the MB was even able to go up to the 79 LED-Code, which means that the CPU made lot of Actions already and very low risk of a socket issue at this Point.

So, most likely not a socket issue but truly simply a busted MB, sorry to say, surely not fun because it seems you got 2 parts busted at the same time. But it´s just as i told, unfortunately it can happen frequently that a busted GPU is able to damage the MB as a collateral damage (already told).

Well yeah... i wish you good luck with your further Actions but most likely the faulty parts seems to be discovered yet.

Sure, i would check out the BIOS/CMOS stuff first because in some cases a busted GPU is able to screw up a BIOS because a GPU is still a critical Hardware part and the GPU was initialized by the BIOS. In term it´s gone without properly shutting down the MB sometimes it can screw up a BIOS. So i definitely would check it out, there is a small Chance of BIOS issue.

Last edited:
Yes indeed, i never checked it out to be honest and i never had any CPU or socket issues in my whole life but i do agree, i am pretty sure in term there is no CPU found on the MB (or very bad connection, MB will most likely act the same) then the Asus LED-Code will Show the 00 Digits, but your board is not showing any Digits at all. And one single time the MB was even able to go up to the 79 LED-Code, which means that the CPU made lot of Actions already and very low risk of a socket issue at this Point.

So, most likely not a socket issue but truly simply a busted MB, sorry to say, surely not fun because it seems you got 2 parts busted at the same time. But it´s just as i told, unfortunately it can happen frequently that a busted GPU is able to damage the MB as a collateral damage (already told).

Well yeah... i wish you good luck with your further Actions but most likely the faulty parts seems to be discovered yet.

Sure, i would check out the BIOS/CMOS stuff first because in some cases a busted GPU is able to screw up a BIOS because a GPU is still a critical Hardware part and the GPU was initialized by the BIOS. In term it´s gone without properly shutting down the MB sometimes it can screw up a BIOS. So i definitely would check it out, there is a small Chance of BIOS issue.

Thank you for your kind answers Ivy.

I made sure that the GPU is indeed the main culprit.

But what is weird that i managed to boot my PC to windows for about 1 minute. But it wont stay on, it just shuts down abruptly. So i guess there goes my motherboard. Lost 380$ at the same day, i just hope CPU is totally Alright.

I dont know if i can return the motherboard . There is no proof of mishandling in the mobo, but as you said the GPU took mobo with it, will my mobo warranty be void because of it?

In case i can not return my motherboard then i have to buy a new one so which cheap motherboard can handle my core i7 4790k. I dont have much money so i want a cheap one i have seen reviews about these

http://www.custompcguide.net/3-best-gaming-motherboards-of-the-z97-series-that-dont-break-the-bank/

i used gigabyte before one is still running perfectly after 7 years (a g45 board), i never used msi or asrock. If you have your own suggestion please suggest around 100-120$.

NB: is there a way to choose a answer here as best?

Well, officially i guess it´s not a valid warranty case but who can say if the GPU was the "first in line" or the MB? Especially in term you lack cash i would not act overly innocent and simply check out at first if you may still be able to RMA it. Just as i said, most likely GPU is the cause but this is not 100% proven, reverse order is still possible, so just go check it out if you may become a RMA, no Need to feel guilty at this Point. Generally i think, as Long as someone can truly afford it they should not RMA stuff with a questionable reason. But my way is "the humane way", the ones that may have issues with proper wealth shall not feel guilty, because there is a good reason they lack wealth, because obviously someone took it already.... ;) Simply check it out is my advise.

In term it´s not gonna work we can still look for another MB at this Point.

I am pretty sure, in term you even got into Windows the CPU is alright, so no Need to worry here.

Last edited:
Did you try the other PSU in the ASUS Z97 PRO PC with the AMD R7 260X Sapphire removed?

Did you try it with the igpu instead of discrete? Seems to me like it's the gpu from what you said in the first post.

PSU? Would not light up the Buttons anymore, but this was always done properly but Error-LED almost never and the additional load is Close to zero and it was running perfectly on the other System apparently without a sweat. Did not even work with GPU removed on Primary PC but load without GPU is very low.

Aswell, makes kinda few sense, a PSU able to run the other PC but not Primary PC... ?

But... there is near countless Odds possible, so... checking out all possibilitys is never wrong.

Yes ED, the discrete GPU is truly faulty.
;) If the MB most of the times is not even going into Code 00, a IGPU is without power.

Last edited:
He had the PC booting into windows for about 1 minute. Could be a bad PSU also Video card, maybe the PSU damaged the video card.

He had the PC booting into windows for about 1 minute. Could be a bad PSU also Video card, maybe the PSU damaged the video card.

I managed to boot without the GPU, the GPU is DEAD. But still the PC wont stay turned on. And it happened only once right now it is back to its usual self start for 2-3 seconds then turns off no beep no q code just turns off. I going to the market today or tomorrow to buy a new motherboard as i need the installation of the windows working(as there is too many important stuff in it). I will try to talk with them about warranty, if they are kind enough. I am opening another thread for a cheap motherboard recommendation.

The GPU is dead, this is the solid truth, no questions here. He was verifying it properly i would say.

Now regarding the PSU, yes it is true that a faulty PSU can damage pretty much almost anything, not only the GPU but even board and even any other pieces attached to it. True aswell: With the exception of some rare cases (a few Special products) most PSU manufacturers do not make a insurance in term their PSU was damaging a Hardware during warranty period.

However, i was investigating this matter and it is just very unlikely that the exactly same PSU was able to run on his second PC properly and at the same time this PSU was damaging several parts of the first machine and is almost never not even powering up the MB. This is just to much of odd in order to be true, i´m sorry. A PSU that may have damaged several Hardware pieces already and without the ability to power up the first board in maybe over 10 tryouts in a row is not gonna run properly another PC anymore, Chance is Close to Zero; This is what i got in mind, it simply is to much of odd at this Point.

Sure, you can always check out for near thousand of possible Odds but at some Point it have to stop, i guess he still got other stuff to do and can´t test out Odds for countless hours. Again, the risk of Odds is now extremely low already at this Point.

Well, i wish him good luck.

Last edited:
Yes, but why did the GPU die and why is it that the PC will still only stay on for a few seconds after booting into Windows? Sounds like a bad PSU to me that is taking out other components, maybe even the motherboard has been damaged. But I wuld start with the PSU. Coolermaster is not known for making quality PSUs though some of their units have been okay.

Hmm... well maybe for security reasons he should swap out the PSU aswell, since this PSU is not pricy at all but if there is a failure it can wipe out expensive parts... better to make a safe approach, i have to agree.

I would put full trust on a Corsair or Seasonic PSU but his PSU is not always proper... so no bad advise switching it out aswell. I just hope he will get the other parts exchanged as a RMA, else the stacked price is not anymore gentle. I do worry the new MB as it´s the most pricy part here and a almost 3 times cheaper PSU could wipe it out... so indeed i would not put it at any risk and swap out the PSU aswell.

Last edited:
I wouldn't worry about swapping it out unless its bad. I just linked you to a reputable review of the product and other opinions from fellow PSU reviewers. Again, its a Tier 2 PSU, not a system killer. It has all the proper hardware to NOT take out your PC if it fails.

There is no risk with that PSU.

There is no sign that the PSU is bad... he was testing it on another PC and no issue there.

Correct. Since it's tested fine in another system, he's set.

I jumped in trying to add some info about his current psu being just fine quality wise...where it was mentioned it wasn't previously.

Last edited:
Back