• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus P2B HW rev 1.02

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CYCLOPS

Hello, I'm trying to run an Asus P2B mobo with HW rev 1.02 and a FC-PGA CU-celeron 700, using a MS6905 MASTER (ver.2) Slocket.
I updated the BIOS to the latest version.
Okay, the mobo boots with a Celeron 300 Slot1,
with a FCGA Celeron 366, using the slocket, but with the FC-PGA proc, it remains dead.
According to the Asus site, you need HW rev 1.12 or higher, but I like to know what the exact problem is..
My mobo seems to support a multiplier of 8 at most
and I need 66 x 10.5.
Can someone tell me, what I need to modify to the slocket or proc, to run 100 x 7? And are there other things that might need to be modified on the mobo, such as the Voltage regulator?

Cheers,
manuel

hi iam haveing the same problem iam trying to use a celeron 2 600 with an asus slotket on my asus 440bx p2b and it wont work any ideas why. i have rev 1.12.by the way you dont have to change the multiplyer its already locked in the intel chip so dont worry about that .

Well, I just recently find out, that ctechnet reports that you should crank up the Voltage to 1.80v iso 1.6 (1.65 in my case) if you use the MS6905 on the P2B with HW rev 1.02-1.11,
also according to them, the board should support up to 10.5x (8x, when using jumpers, so that's 650MC at most, I don't know if that's a BIOS limit or what..)

BTW, I already let someone check my CU-celeron on another system and they said it booted just fine, they also run it through a "core-tester" (never heard of such a thing!!) and it checked out okay too..

I'm a bit chicken to put 1.80v on my brand new CU-Celeron 1.65V, but what the hack, burn mofo burn ;-)

err sorry, 10.5 x 66 = 693 ~ 700 (No wonder I always failed at math..) okay let's rock!

Guess what? The ***** booted!!
It's running on my linux router/print server right now!!
And than I already thought my P2B was obsolete!
Asus P2B HW rev. 1.02 with v1.12 BIOS with MSI MS6905 ver 2.0 SlotKet and CU Celeron 700, [email protected] works!! (Stupid Asus, at least Abit says it, when you can tweak things to work!)
Now I've to move things back and forth between my BP6 running with dual celeron 366@523 and this beast ;-)

Okay, I've got some more info, appearantly, the rev. 1.02-1.11 mobo's have a voltage regulator that has as lowest voltage 1.80Volt. If a proc reports it needs less, the board simple will ignore the proc and won't boot! According to ctechnet, a celeron 600E/1.60V proc, has an average temp. between 27'c ~ 35'c @ 1.80V, so it should work okay.
Another option is, the use a SlotKet with onboard Voltage regulator, like the Slotek SL-02D Power C-Tune or the successor of the IWill Slocket II with VRM 8.4 Voltage regulator..
BTW, did I told you guys I broke one of the pins of the FC-PGA chip, it was a ***** to solder it back on, but it turns out the chip was still okay =)

thanks alot body, i was going to go out and by another motherboard but i upped the voltage on the asus soket to 1.8 and it booted.
thanksssssssssssss!!!!!!!

Mainboard is Asus P2B98-XV-ver 2.0 (HP 6370z) Voodoo3 2000 PCI, Cable modem, creative SB audio PCI 64V, 192meg ram(128 @133Mhz and 64@100Mhz.
My P2B was built for Hewlwtt Packard, has a "custom" (read upgrade challenged) Bios chip. I tried to flash it with the current Asus Bios, but got a "No Bios Hook found" message". The HP Bios is ver. 1.09, released in 1998. I decided to try the upgrade anyway. I set the voltage at 1.9v on the Abit Slotket!!! and the FSB at 100. I set the CPU type selector for coppermine as I understand that my Celeron II 600 SL4PB cC0 stepping is a coppermine. Got NOTHING when I powered up but a black screen. Couldn't even turn off with switch,had to unplug. I think this is a BIOS issue. Surely the 1.9v core setting isn't too high is it?
Any idea how to flash this non-standard bios chip? Or any other advice would be appreciated.
I was trying to put off buying a new MB. It took an act of congress to get THE WIFE to approve of the Processor/memory purchase. I would like to get an Abit Be6-2 ASAP.
What do y'all think?
Thanks,
Slake
*I'm a mushroom cloud laying mamajammer, mamajammer - Jules -Pulp Fiction

BIOS 1011 and up adds extra microcode for newer steppings CU procs and I think 1009 has no CU microcode support at all

Hello fellow hackers, next thing is for the die hard techies: the next French page mentions some interresting things about the P2B:

Appearantly with a little mod, you can chose from 14 iso 8 bus frequencies (especially handy for the P3 E series) and with another mod, you can change the Voltage between 1.8->2.4 with jumpers and with another mod on the HIP6019B Voltage regulator, you can choose a Voltage between 1.30V to 2.10 in steps of 0.05V and between 2.10 and 3.5V in steps of 0.1V

Now my problem is, I want a bus of 90Mhz with a PCI divider of 3.. the 14 freqs only contain 83 and 100mhz.. The X-tal driving the ICS9250-08 ratio circuit, is running at 14.31818Mhz. If I take another X-tal, running at 90% of the original, will I get 90Mhz?
Or will I break a PLL orso? Will I get a PCI divider of 3? Does the BIOS recognizes the settings, or at least, will it POST?

Another thing, this doc is about a rev 1.1 (1.01?) P2B-F board and I'm using a P2B HW Rev 1.02, is this Voltage mod thing gonna work in order to get 1.65V which I need?? (Does anyone here understands French, I'm not so good at it...)

I hope one of you gurus can help me out..

p.s. Were can I find the SoftMenu add-on for the Asus P2B BIOS to replace the SCSI BIOS?? No link seems to work..

Back