• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus P4S800D-E Deluxe Official Thread

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
ocing with this board is hit or miss. i can only get my fsb up to around 220, while vio1 has had better results. i wouldnt reccomend getting cheap ram, or you'll pay for it

Shady Records said:
What kinda OC would i get out of a ASUS P4S800D E DLX + 2.8E ?

and whatever mem would work best.

For memory I would recommend Mushkin as it's high quality stuff although when I had the P4S800D-E Deluxe I was using some Kingston PC4000. For OC, expect in the 250FSB range assuming your memory can do that. Zip is just spreading FUD, he's doing something wrong and wants to scapegoat the mobo.

there are various threads on other boards that say the same things i do. if i am doing something wrong please help me.

im just sharing my experiences and my reccomendations. i encourage you to do the same in a curtious manor. im glad people like vio1 and you aparently got to oc pretty nicely, but i definately dont think everyone can expect those results.

Last edited:
Your RAM is PC3200 and you're using two DS sticks. I'm surprised you're even getting close to 230 with that. What divisor are you using, timings, voltage, and part number of the RAM sticks?

Also, what kind of HDs?

Last edited:
the ram is indeed crappy(it is the value select), but i should be able to use the mem ratios to still be able obtain a higher fsb. i have tried using the 400 (stock), 333, and 266 memory settings. there are no actual dividor settings for this board. i have tried to dissable the hyperstreaming memory, set the timings to "safe" and auto, and also tried setting the timings manually to i think 2.5-3-3-8 (dont remember specifically, but it was what the auto set them too). i can get into windows with a fsb of 250, but it fails pretty quick. at a fsb of 235 i get random rebooting while stress testing. i can maintain 220 alright. i have tried cpu voltage bumps to 1.65, and ram bumps to the highest the board will go (cant remember right now). i have a watercooled setup, and a swiftech northbridge cooler.

edit: i was able to get the cpu to a fsb of 250 (with the mem at 333)on my gigabyte GA-8IK1100 (intel 875P)

edit: im not doing anything special with my harddrive(s) yet, just a WD 120

Last edited:
Well, with components especially RAM makes troubleshooting very difficult without known good parts to swap out. It is possible the P4S800D-E Deluxe just does not get along as well with your memory as your 875P board. Also, I would expect some fluctuation in max overclock between boards but not a 20 FSB difference, maybe 10 FSB max; you should be able to do 240. Then again, my experience is solely with 1:1 so the memory divisor may also cause a less stable OC than at 1:1 although other seem to have not experienced that issue.

Okay, now onto the practical part:

Have you changed any components from when you had the 875P board outside of the motherboard itself?

What is your HD setup?

Remove one of the DIMMS and go into the BIOS and max out the settings for memory, max voltage, CL3, highest timings allowed. Set the memory to 266 so that we can completely rule out the memory.

Next reseat the CPU and apply a new layer of Arctic silver 5 (I assume even watercooling still uses that for heat transfer)

Forgot to ask if you did a complete Windows reinstall when installing in the P4S800D-E Deluxe because I'm going to recommend a clean install. What OS are you using? I hope it's either 2k or XP. Install all the Windows updates and then install the SiS drivers.

yeah, i can definately see how the memory is my weakest point.
when i changed motherboards, i also had to change video cards since my old one would not get along with the new motherboard. i switched from a gainward geforce 4 mx440 to a sapphire radeon 9600. the hard drive is ide and master on the first channel (no slave). i will try the single memory thing later tonight. i have reseated mannny times and my temps are 20C idle, 25c load. i will be reseating within the next couple of days however (since im getting some replacement springs). i also did not completely reinstall. i did the repair install(twice actually), as i did not want to loose all my music (and i wasnt smart enough to make them on a separate partition) im using xp home with all the updates and sis drivers

zip22 said:
i also did not completely reinstall.

From my experience that's a BIG issue. You really need a clean install to properly judge the board; repair installs are a band aid temporary solution.

is there any way i can repartition without reformatting? or will i need to find a different harddrive to store my mp3s on?

I'm assuming no DVD burner b/c that would probably be the easiest way depending upon how large your library is.

I think partition magic can create partitions and make it so you can transfer the MP3s to a seperate partition and reformat the primary one but I'm not sure, maybe ask around. I have a seperate storage drive so it's not as much of a hassle (starts making sense after about 30 full reinstalls in 4 months like when I was recently testing P4 RDRAM vs P4 DDR vs Athlon64 as well as new hard drives, video cards, sound cards, and so on)

yeah, no dvd burner yet. ill check out that partition magic. thanks for the help, ill try everything else suggested after i figure out the partitioning and reinstall.

No problem; I just hope you get to where you're happy with the board, which is all that's important. If you have any more questions please ask and I'll try to help.

i took out 1 stick of ram, set things to slow performance, safest timings(<these are 2 of the weird memory options), 3-5-5-9. cpu was at 240fsb, 2.65. ram was at 2.65 (i think). when i got into windows, prime failed after 1 minute. a few minutes later a blue screen came up that said something about dumping the physical memory. i tried it with the other stick too and a similar error occured. could this board and memory not work together? or is it more likely that that the memory controller on the board isnt working properly (could be hardware were the only option would be talk to asus, or could it be a problem with windows and i need to completely reinstall)?

edit: also the chips on my ram are: Infineon HYB25D256800BT-5B

listed on the approved list on the asus website are hynix HYB25D256800BT-5B, but they are in kingston ram

Last edited:
I've had this board for a month and am running a 243 fsb. My question is - does anyone know of a way to increase ram voltage beyond 2.85 (the mobo's highest bios setting)?? I want to run my gig of bh5 at 1:1 and think they can do it, I just probably need to give them more voltage. I've been having to settle with 2-2-2-5 timings @ 4:5. Thanks!

zip22 said:
i took out 1 stick of ram, set things to slow performance, safest timings(<these are 2 of the weird memory options), 3-5-5-9. cpu was at 240fsb, 2.65. ram was at 2.65 (i think). when i got into windows, prime failed after 1 minute. a few minutes later a blue screen came up that said something about dumping the physical memory. i tried it with the other stick too and a similar error occured. could this board and memory not work together? or is it more likely that that the memory controller on the board isnt working properly (could be hardware were the only option would be talk to asus, or could it be a problem with windows and i need to completely reinstall)?

edit: also the chips on my ram are: Infineon HYB25D256800BT-5B

listed on the approved list on the asus website are hynix HYB25D256800BT-5B, but they are in kingston ram

The first thing I would try is a full Windows clean format and fresh install, then install windows updates, then install SiS drivers (AGP, SATA, and IDE) off of www.sis.com and Prime 95 only and test. Your problems seem to be in Windows so I would clean that up first before blaming or buying new memory.

I would also max out both CPU and ddr voltage to ensure stability. Also, on the memory timings, go higher than 5 on those two settings, just max it out; you want to eliminate any chance there are issues if you can.

Last edited:
alright, fresh install complete, feels a lot snappier. fixed my lan problems, but thats about it.

fsb 240, ram 266, timings 3-5-5-11 (highest they will go), cpu 1.7v, ram 2.65v got into windows, but imediately got a "serious error" message, so i shut down

fsb 220, ram 333, everything the same as above, ran 2 instances prime 95 for 5h 30min then got an error.

im trying everthing at stock now, just to be sure i have a starting point. im glad i did the reformat and fresh install though. everything feels cleaner

So is your overclock worse now?

So try this, instead of manually setting FSB use the % overclock settings. +10% would be 220 FSB, +20% would be 240 FSB. Set Vcore to +.1v and set the ram to normal timings at 2.6v at 266mhz. lmk if that improves anything.

no, overclock is about the same. ill try the % overclock, etc later on, but i "upgraded" so that i could have more control over my ram.

btw, prime95 passed at stock everything

You can have all the control over the RAM you want when we figure out what the problem is. Troubleshooting requires that you eliminate variables.

So here's what's left to try:

1. The % overclock and RAM settings I described above

If that doesn't work
2. Remove/disable if integrated everything but the VGA card, CPU, and memory. Reseat VGA and memory and CPU with a fresh layer of Arctic Silver. Clean install of Windows and try.

If that doesn't help
3. RMA board

If that doesn't help
4. Get new RAM

If that doesn't help
5. Accept it as is or get a another board

Last edited:
Back