• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus P6T, 8GB modules? 48GB total?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

smoth

I am looking to upgrade the ram in my system in my sig to 24GB as my work in MATLAB backed by 20-60GB data files are crippling my system and I know from using a server at school that 17GB seems to be the magic number that MATLAB wants to be happy.

I know the official word from Asus from whenever they wrote the product description in 2009 was that the board has a max of 24GB, which is great, but I plan on transforming this rig into a ZFS file server starting with 22TB of raw storage with the ability to upgrade to about 60 TB as my need for space grows. In general the rule of thumb for ZFS that I have seen cited time and time again is 1GB/TB raw disk space. This leads me to wonder if it is possible to run 8GB, with the intention of eventually upgrading to 48GB as my array grows. I have read a lot of conflicting info that the CPUs are limited to 4GB, but also read that people were using 48GB on the Deluxe version of the P6T with the same CPU. Some saying that the 4GB was just because thats what was available at the time, others saying the chipset cant handle anymore...the list goes on.

Does anyone have any information on this?

Thanks!

It's not the X58 chipset that determines the max. memory allowable, but the IMC (Integrated Memory Controller) of LGA1366 CPUs, which only supports 24GB (4GB per DIMM slot in a triple-channel config.).

So are you saying that posts such as these: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/304996-12-asus-deluxe-48gb-confirmation are spreading false information? The reason I am so confused is that for every discussion saying it works, I find others saying its impossible, and other saying it depends on the chipset. I have been unable to find any answers on my specific board though.

Or can I just not run in triple channel and use more memory.

Irregardless of what others say, or your specific board, according to Intel the max. memory a socket LGA1366 CPU supports is 24GB.

It is worth noting that according to Intel running memory faster than 1333MHz on X58 stuff will damage the IMC. Intel limits and specs are somewhat dubious sometimes :D

Now finding a 1366 IMC that can actually manage to run that much, stable, may be more difficult. The board will have to support that much too.

There were maybe only 3 X58 boards tested with 48GB but even then producers didn't add 48GB as fully compatible option as it was running only with some memory sets.
To run 48GB has to be good memory controller and prepared BIOS that older X58 boards didn't have. I just doubt there is 48GB compatible BIOS for P6T as it was one of first ASUS boards on X58 and ASUS is usually dropping BIOS support for their boards really fast ( unless it's ROG series but then it's still not much longer ). Not to mention that ASUS had biggest problems to stabilize their boards with 6 sticks ( MemOK button that most other manufacturers didn't need etc ).
It doesn't mean that P6T won't run with 48GB but there is low chance that you make it stable especially with Bloomfield cpu that had weaker memory controler than Gulftowns.

Well given my applications now are running simulations that can take days and later will be managing a ZFS file server, it sounds like I should stick within specs as I can't afford instabilities.

Back