• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ASUS P8Z68V-Pro POST Issues

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Orionf22

Greetings, all. This is my first time here, so I'm hoping to receive some advice. My recent build centers around the motherboard in question, and aside from a PSU which caused random resets (and was replaced), my build has been flawless. Well, yesterday this new issue came up: after putting my Windows 7 64-Bit system into hibernation and leaving it alone overnight, my morning startup saw a failure to POST within a humane time. It literally took two (or more?) minutes.

The BOOT_LED light is on, but for some reason it fixes itself, as mentioned above, in two or so minutes. I reset the CMOS and that solved the problem, but then I put it into hibernation again, left it overnight, and this morning I get the same thing. It did POST (I come to you now on the build using the motherboard), but it just takes two dang long. I'm doing nothing to the BIOS or any other form of overclocking. It's basically just the system as is with no modifications made on my part.

EDIT: I've also noticed something rather odd: if I move my mouse quickly to the start icon and into the lower left corner as far as I can go, the screen briefly switches to some blue state...it barely lasts half a second and appears to be some sort of flash, but I've never noticed it until now. My display also seems to be a bit slow to respond. This would suggest the video card for these problems, but not the POST delay. Weird.

It seems common policy to include system specs with every problem, so here they are:

The motherboard in question
i5-2400 w/stock cooler
EVGA GTX 460 (hell if I know which 460 it is)
G.Skill 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 at 1600 MHz (confirmed in BIOS)
Seagate Barracuda 500GB
Corsair TX750 V2 non-modular PSU (the replacement; performs beautifully)
and lastly an ASUS multidrive. I figure this isn't the source of my problem, so I didn't bother including all of its specs.

Do let me know if you require additional information, and I do hope there is a solution out there (aside from RMA).

Last edited:
Hibernation on a HDD is slow... not that slow last I recall, but...it is slow as it has to dump all that stuuf back to memory and come back on.

This is obviously not a solution, however, can you disable hibernation in the mean time?

The board from boot takes forever to boot, it boots slower than my grandmothers laptop, makes having a Vertex 3 as boot drive seem a waste :(

See I've been hibernating fine for two weeks now. I didn't change anything in the BIOS, and a few Windows updates installed. The night before this issue occurred, nothing was new on my machine. I put it into hibernation and it delays in POSTing when I woke up 6 or so hours later.

This problem would seem to have a more probable cause if it occurred right after changing something important...but the fact is it literally 'just happened'. I have since disabled hibernation, but even if I shut it down I will still get the POST delay upon reboot. Resetting the CMOS worked, and I even sent it into hibernation and shut it down a few times. The issue returned when I again hibernated it overnight.

EDIT: hibernation is still enabled but I disabled the automatic hibernation. Get this: I put it into hibernation last night and it POST'ed normally. Something is fishy here.

Last edited:
Back