• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus P9X79 PRO compatabile with this RAM???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

On_Point

Hi guys, Im building a new system and I bought Asus P9X79 PRO as my motherboard and Kingston Technology 8GB (2x 4GB) 1866MHz DDR3

Now as im looking over the specs I see P9X79 PRO supports DDR3 Quad Channel. Does this mean I need more RAM? like 4 sticks?

On the manufacturer's website for the board there is a RAM compatibility list, if you're that concerned about it.

To run quad channel, buy a quad-channel RAM kit. It'll be four sticks. The board will also run dual-channel.

As ATM said, you can run dual with little to no performance hit. DDR3 ram at 1.35-1.65v will work 99% of the time. If you want to be 100% sure, check the ram QVL list also like ATM mentioned. Note however, if it is not on the list that does NOT mean it will not will not work, but simply means they did not TEST them. ;)

Im glad to hear that because I ordered that 2x4GB RAM lol
If I buy 2x4GB more in the future will that make it quad channel? Or are quad channel kits their own thing?

If you look in the Handbook there is a very good picture showing how to set up your Ram. :attn: :thup:

Personally i would buy 2 sets of Ram making sure they are exactly the same timings, why because the Quad Sets are still over priced!! The other reason is you put 2 Sticks into each Ram Bank anyway. ;)

But as Atmin and ED has all ready told you, it all depends what you want to do with this PC?? :shrug:

ASUS-P9X79-Pro-Motherboard-DIMM-Sockets.jpg

By the way if you want your Ram to work properly then you need to put your 4 x sticks into the Blue Slots to work as a Quad set up. :attn: ;)

Regards,

AJ.

Great! Thanks for the info :thup:
Think I will stick with the 2 sticks I bought for now then. And you're right I also noticed that quad channel kits work out more expensive than buying a dual kit twice.
So if I want to run the 2 stick I got in dual channel can I use blue or black slots? Or just black?

Oh yea...PC im building is mainly for gaming. :D

Not sure off the top of my head, but the manual will tell you if Ajay doesn't beat you to it... :)

Just be-careful as there are different slots to make your Ram work. so as ED said read the Manual a couple of times at least. And one other thing, the Ram Slots on that board are quite Tight, so makes sure the Mobo is well supported, when you apply any pressure. And listen for a double CLICK and check with a torch to see if they are all level as well.

AJ.

The board and the other parts should be here soon, then I will be reading many manuals :D
I will be careful, luckily there seem to be a few videos of people using the same components, which I can use as reference if I get stuck lol
Thanks for all the info guys :thup:

Well if you need any further help just come back to this thread and ask!! As if you look in my SIG i have just finished building a X79 Platform myself.

GL from AJ.

Yea I can see you built a beast lol
Im actually trying to plan out how to set this up or if I should go with a different case.
I kind of want a Corsair Obsidian 800D because of how easy things are to install and how clean it looks. I also got a Corsair H60 cooler because I want to overclock the CPU to around 4.5Ghz

But I keep seeing people saying mixed things about the cooling in this. And I can see peopel using H50s & H60s etc mounting them on the rear and having that as an intake aswell.

I was considering doing this but then I think maybe thats not so good because it could be sucking in a lot of dust as there is no filter at the back.

Any thoughts on this?

A H60 will likely not be able to take a 4930K to 4.5Ghz. Temps will be way out of line as there just is not enough cooler there to do so. You need 2x120mm of radiator (think H100i).

If you get the 800D you should have plenty of room for one of these coolers, which wont leak or cause you Dust Problems!;)

Nets new photo's 087.JPG

Nets new photo's 091.JPG

Nets new photo's 089.JPG

This Phanteks Air cooler with 3 Fans would cool that 4930K easy, yes its big, but when i had one it was one of the Best Quality coolers you can buy.:attn: :thup:

Well I could only afford to get a 4820k ....will it be enough for that? I will look at this Phanteks Air cooler, see if it will fit in my budget :thup:

It puts out less heat that the 4930K, but it is still listed as 130W processor. It will depend on the quality(luck) of the CPU.

I see...ok then I will look at the larger coolers. Another thing I was wondering was about was how often you need to replace the coolant in water coolers. I have never had one before...so how do you know when it needs changing?
Also how much thermal paste should go on the CPU before putting the cooler on?
Last PC I think I went overboard and had paste coming off the sides after a while lol

The advantage of that CPU it overclocks really well, as the IHS is soldered.
AJ.

I see...ok then I will look at the larger coolers. Another thing I was wondering was about was how often you need to replace the coolant in water coolers. I have never had one before...so how do you know when it needs changing?
Also how much thermal paste should go on the CPU before putting the cooler on?
Last PC I think I went overboard and had paste coming off the sides after a while lol
If it is a custom loop, you should maintain it once or twice a year depending...On an AIO, you can't in the first place.

About a BB sized pellet in the middle usually is sufficient. You can find the preferred method at the paste MFG website as well.

Back