• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

asus Rampage 3 help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

R1Rider

Registered
I just picked up a used ASUS Rampage 3 Formula and am trying to install it but the screws that hold the CPU holder to the board are loose and I cant tighten them. Am I missing some nylon washers? did the previous user have some sort of L/C bracket on that needed longer screws?

I googled some images and it appears the original holder is gone. I took one off one of my toasted P6X boards and it fits but the top portion is still floating around, it is not like this on the P6 boards.

After installing the cpu hold down from my P6x board I decided to install the CPU and it appears to be tight in the socket. I hooked everything else up and powered the machine on and it powers up but will not post. Any ideas?

To give you some history on what I have, my friend had a P6x58D premium board that burned out when his power supply went down. He gave me his video card, 12gigs of corsair RAM, EVGA GTS 250 video card and an intel i7 CPU. Currently have a Silverstone ST75F power supply in my case powering all of this. The CPU, RAM and video card were untested when I got them.

thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Need to test all the hardware individually on a known working system. You have one or more pieces of bad hardware. PSU's that grenade usually have collateral damage along with them.

im thinking the video card might be bad. in the past I have had bad video cards that had the same symptoms. (no screen, no post/no MB beeps)

I've aquired 2 GTX480 cards to try out and now I have another issue. My Silverstone has an 8 pin EPS connector by the video card requires an 8 pin PCI connector. Is there an adapter I can buy?

GTX480's require 2 6 pin PCIE connections each card. Your Silverstone provides 4 6 pin PCIE plugs. What exactly do you need an adapter for?

Not to mention, if you are only testing things out, why are you plugging in two gpus?

Slow down. Let's figure that out before we go dropping in dual cards and mixing up cpu 8 pin and pci 6+2.. :)

he gave me 2 to test. I have one installed. They require 1x 6pin and 1x 8pin. Is it a 6+2? I dont have that on my Silverstone. Im gonna take a ride out to TigerDirect in the AM and see if they have what I need. any suggestions on what to look for? a product number? anything? much appreciated.

Ok, I need advice again. I finally go this machine powered up but still cant get anything to post. I get 3 beeps which indicates no VGA and then I get a long beep and 4 short ones followed by a strange beep that sounds like 2 at a time and then 2-3 more. 4 beeps indicates a hardware failure. I have tried 2 video cards, none will show anything on the monitor. The memory was checked in another machine and its good. Is the CPU shot? What would cause it to not post? Have I over looked something? a missed power connection on the board? card in wrong slot?

I can't diagnose your problem but I will share my experience with the Rampage III Formula, and it was horrible. I had a very hard time keeping things stable on that board. All kinds of weird glitches. I sold it within like 4 months of buying it along with my i7 950 and went Sandybridge. If you look at OC3DTV's review of the R3F on youtube he agrees with me that it's a pretty terrible board. Certainly worse than the R3 Gene and Extreme.

I can't diagnose your problem but I will share my experience with the Rampage III Formula, and it was horrible. I had a very hard time keeping things stable on that board. All kinds of weird glitches. I sold it within like 4 months of buying it along with my i7 950 and went Sandybridge. If you look at OC3DTV's review of the R3F on youtube he agrees with me that it's a pretty terrible board. Certainly worse than the R3 Gene and Extreme.

It must have been the operator, mine has been great! No problems at all, much better then my old UD5 :attn:

I have heard nothing but good about this board. I havent read all the reviews but most are 4 stars.

does something need to be plugged into the CPU fan connection on the board to get it to boot? this machine is liquid cooled.

GTX480's require 2 6 pin PCIE connections each card. Your Silverstone provides 4 6 pin PCIE plugs. What exactly do you need an adapter for?

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/geforce_gtx_470_480_review,13.html

Do you have the 8 pin power connector and 24 pin connector plugged in?

Yes. I went and picked up a new Corsair RM1000? PSU tonight to eliminate the possibility that my 750 Silverstone is under powered. Have not installed yet, will do that shortly.

Ok, we have progress! Installed the new PSU last night and I finally got VGA/POST. Not sure if my Silverstone PSU doesnt have enough power total or on some of the specific rails or if the PSU is damaged. I will keep posting in here.

perhaps.

Ok, next issue. I bought 2 corsair 120mm fans to mount to a radiator. They are 4 pin PWM connectors. I am using the fan controller that came with my Thermaltake case the fan connections on it are 3 pin. I purchased (2) 4 pin to 3 pin adapters and the fans wont power on. I also plugged them directly into the controller and they still don't power on. Thye will connect to the 3 pin connection on the controller, I assume the wiring is in the same configuration.

I'm glad you started your own thread on this 'completely not having to do with the thread title says' separate issue... you will get more appropriate responses in that thread than this one which is about your motherboard. ;)

figured someone might have some input before I started another. I may do that later tonight.

Back