• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 + Amd FX-9370 Freeze and unstable

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
bb5 could you post a pic of HWmonitor and CPU-z right now? You're saying that cpu temp is 74c I'd like to know if that is the package temp or socket. Also 3 hrs is plenty for now you know it's stable at 4.0. I would like you to drop the CPU voltage to 1.3 and raise the multi back to say 22. I think you crashed at 4.5 because of temps judging by what you have said. I know my 9370 could run lower clocks with very low voltage and maybe yours will too. If you can post a sig that would be helpful. You say you want some kind of water but we should know what your case is so we can see what may fit into it.

Just finished extended testing with the advised settings from you all. My system is almost stable. Here are my testing results, i have made screenshots of HWMonitor, CPU-Z and tested with Prime95 (check start time and my time in icon tray). The temp monitor in HWMonitor are the CPU temp numbers, not in AMD FX-9370 Temp pack)

Main settings:

Mode: DOCP (DRam OC Profile: 1600MHz, CPU Ratio: 22, CPU/NB Frequency 2400-MHz, HT Link Speed Frequency: 2400MHz.
Mode: CPU & NB Voltage: Manual mode, CPU/NB 1.25

The rest is default settings, here are my results:

1.30V - CPU MANUAL Voltage (after windows logo FREEZE)
1.31V - CPU MANUAL Voltage (after windows logo FREEZE)
1.32V - Voltage (At Welcome text FREEZE)
1.33V - Voltage (At Welcome text FREEZE)
1.34V - Voltage (Prime started after 8 min FREEZE, degrees 55)
1.35V - Voltage (Prime started after 4 min FREEZE, degrees 57)
1.36V - Voltage (after windows logo FREEZE)
1.37V - Voltage (Prime started after 4 min FREEZE, degrees 55)
1.38V - Voltage (Prime started after 5 min FREEZE, degrees 59)
1.39V - Voltage (after windows logo FREEZE)
1.40V - Voltage (Prime OK, just FREEZE at Game)
1.41V - Voltage (Prime started after 4 min FREEZE, degrees 64)
1.42V - Voltage (Prime started after 4 min FREEZE, degrees 65)
1.43V - Voltage (Prime OK)
1.44V - Voltage (after windows logo FREEZE)
1.45V - Voltage (Prime freeze at 68 degrees, and input text becomes yellow in bios), 1.45 above freezes constantly.

The most stable settings were 1.40 and 1.43 volt.

I started with changing the settings with 1.43Volt and my system is almost stable, i doesn't freeze at prime. didn't freeze at game. I will post results later. The most stable settings at the moment are:

DOCP:
Dram OC Profile: DDR3-2400MHz
CPU Ratio: 22
Memory Frequency: DDR3-2400MHz
CPU/NB Frequency: 2400Mhz
HT Link Speed: 2400MHz
CPU Manual Voltage: 1.431250
CPU/NB Manual Voltage: 1.200000
All the rest in AI Tweaker AUTO, also DRAM Voltage (was advised 1.65 but auto looked better at testing). Digi+ Power CPU LLC: High, CPU/NB LLC High and CPU power Phase control: Optimized.

I have included the testing and most stable result as screenshots in attachment. The Max temperature with above setting (Prime test) was 73 degrees (BE Quite! Dark Pro 3 cooling, casing closed. So far no freeze. If you have other advice please let me know, i think i am not finished yet, but very close.

My aim is NOT overclocking or high speed, just want a stable system with freezing or crashing. I come from Intel so this is a big surprise ;-)
Thank you for the help till now. Greetings

Attachments

• Results.zip
    6.8 MB · Views: 20
Ok bb5, first off I wouldn't use the DOCP and I would keep that ram around 1600 MHz for now. Let me explain a bit here. The CPU "will " run 2400 ram but not officially and it's hard on the IMC ( memory controller) which "will" cause instability. Which is apparen from your results. It doesn't appear that you have actually found a setting that's stable yet. The other reason I say this is you really "shouldn't" need that much voltage to run at 4.4G
So go into the bios and drop the ram to 1600 and set the timings ( for 1600) with the SPD settings, you can find those at the end of your bios page under tools. This will take the ram out of the equation while we stabilize the CPU also set the voltage for it to 1.65 Next drop the CPU_NB speed to 2200 as well, we can address these things later, " after" you have things stable. Then set the machine to 4.4 and 1.4v run P95 and lets see some pics.
Pleas attach them directly to the post through the advanced dialogue box. I can't open attachments from this machine.

Hi Johan45, It is indeed not stable now, but a lot better as before, i will try your settings now and will post you the results.

Hi Johan, just a question:

I got out of the DOCP Mode and got in AUTO. Changed the Dram from 2400MHz to 1600MHz. 1- The SPD Information shows 3 columns, JEDEC/XMP#1 and XMP #2. I took JEDEC 9-9-9-24. is that right?
2-With 1.65 you mean the Dram Volt, am i right? So yes, if i change that to 1.65, it turns yellow, i don't know of that it is ok.

I've set the voltage to 1.4 now and testing with prime, if i did the settings wrong, please let me know.

greetings

If you were setting multi and such I assume you went to manual not auto ? and 1.65v won't hurt your ram it'll be fine. Let's see how this goes and keep an eye on your temps if it get to 70 on the socket or 62 on the core stop and give us some pics.

Did two tests, both freezing, first after 5 minutes, second after 12 minutes. So mine settings are wrong, those are my bios settings screenshots, and one screenshot before crashing.

Attachments

• cpu-z-5.jpg
    cpu-z-5.jpg
    316 KB · Views: 551
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 566
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 556
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 562
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 552
Ok a couple things set the cpu ratio to 22 and disable turbo also make sure that all energy savings are turned off like cool&quiet, c1e,c6, epu and APM.
Set the cpuNB voltage to 1.2 and ram timings to 9-9-9-27-36 and I would like to see the last few timings that you have cut off.

Ok, i changed the settings you mentioned (screenshots). It freeze after 2 till 5 minutes in prime, did three times test, freeze between 2 and 5 minutes. Added cutted screenshots.

Attachments

• Bios-3.jpg
    Bios-3.jpg
    136 KB · Views: 553
  • Bios-2.jpg
    Bios-2.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 549
  • Bios-1.jpg
    Bios-1.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 551
  • Bios-4.jpg
    Bios-4.jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 549
  • Bios-5.jpg
    Bios-5.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 550
  • Bios-6.jpg
    Bios-6.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 550
OK at the end of your ram timings see near the end of your ram timings where they are on auto but the system has set them to 3-4-4 change them to 4-5-5 and see if that works if not we may need to loosen them some more.

CPU Power Phase Control >> You have optimized. There are better settings so that the VRM is not being lazy and switching phases on and off. Maybe Extreme. I am not sure what "your" choices are since I have CHV.
RGone...ster.

I have changed it to 4-5-5. Freezes after a few minutes, temp about 54 degrees. I also trief with EXTREME (CPU Power Phase Control), options are standard/optimized/extreme and manual. But same result. Keeps freezing.

OK bb5 I would like you to set the CPU_NB voltage up to 1.25 as well

took it up to 1.25, freeze after 2-3 minutes in prime. Allthough i must say that it doesn't freeze in game intro, which it did before, But it can't handle prime.

This is a Sabertooth board correct, damn thing sounds like my M5A99X Evo when I stuck the 8350 in it.

Yes it is a Sabertooth, giving me a headache. Don't know to blame the cpu, the mb, the memory or myself :-(

I don't have a lot of time now as I have some work to do. But what I am getting concerned about even with all the bouncing around is that 16 Gigs of Kingston Ram. Over the last 10 or 12 months we have had users in the AMD cpu forum section pull their hair out trying to get Kingston stuff to do right. They have bought GSkill or something else and boom just right to stable.

The next time I can sit down for a few mins, will capture OP bios pics and make edits for exactly what I think he needs to change. Heck I think he might even do better to clear the CMOS and start over with just disabling the Green Stuff and setting Windows Power Manager to Performance mode and running P95 Blend and see if it will even pass at defaults. My guess is it will not. At least not a full 2 hours.
RGone...

EDIT:
You got a buddy or friend you can borrow ram other than that Kingston for a test to see if system more or less settles on down?
END EDIT.

Last edited:
I'm with RGone on this one , I have had a bad feeling about the ram from the get go on this b55, aside from your lack of cooling for that big dog CPU. I have a coupl other suggestions that may get this thing running at least for now. I would do as RGone said and clear the CMos. But I still don't think you'll run this at default just because of the heat. I've been wondering If you setting the DOCP may have changed some subtimings in the ram that we can not see from bios.?? This time after the CMOS clear leve the ram at 1333 and the voltages on auto but set the multi to 22 again since judging by you last pic that seems to be your thermal ceiling right now.

I know you're getting frustrated but we're doing what we can from remote and this one is a bit more puzzling than some.
If you can scrounge up some different ram to try that would be a plus.

Hi there all, thank you for helping me out, I really appreciate that. I have probably the option to return the memory. I have 2 brands option, Corsair and Crucial Which fittest the best? or should I change the cpu to 8350? What do you advice. For me importance is the stability. In the meantime I will clear cmos and try again.

Back