• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 + Amd FX-9370 Freeze and unstable

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
The CPU is up to you, if you return it for the 8350 you'll get some cash back that's one thing cause you'll not be able to run the 9590 as intended with your current cooling solution. As for the ram, if those are the only choices and G.Skill can't be found I'd go with corsair. I recently helped someone with crucial ballistix that were havine similar issues as you on the Sabertooth, we ended up flashing an older bios to it and that seemed to clear things up a lot.
If you're up to it we could try a different BIOS version and see if that will help but this seems to be one stubborn set of ram. There's no guarentee it'll fix it.

I don't think it's the memory's fault. More like board itself or some profile readings. There are almost no manufacturers who make profiles for AMD boards ( AMP ) so picking other brand won't guarantee that there won't be the same issues.
I would set 1600-1866 memory clock manually. Then main timings to 10-11-11, Command Rate 2N and tRFC to 160 or 300. If you make it work like that then next step will be 2133 11-12-12 1.60V.
At 1600-1866 CPU-NB and other voltages can be on auto. At 2133+ sometimes higher voltages are necessary.

High density Crucial ( 8GB sticks ) didn't work good on ASUS CHVF when I had FX8120/8320. I had no issues with 4GB sticks.
These 2400 Kingstons are based on Hynix so generally the same as you can find in most 2133+ kits and most of them are working on AMD boards without issues. The only difference are usually programmed profiles and these are optimized mainly for Intel boards so on AMD in some cases you have to set couple of things manually.

Thank you all for your suggestions, i did some changing and testing again with your suggestions, these are my main settings for now:

CPU Manual Voltage: 1.4
CPU/NB Manual Voltage: AUTO (1.2 and 1.25 freezes)
Dram: 1600MHz (11-11-11-24-33)

I noticed when my cpu/nb is on AUTO mode, the default says 1.125. If i change this to 1.20 or 1.25 it freezes at test. So that is an issue, i have left it now on AUTO and it doesn't freeze. I don't know if a lower number is unstable. I also noticed that changing ram freq does freezing. Maybe it is the Kingston or maybe it is the settings. In the meantime i am waiting for news of getting ram.

If you have any suggestions which i should tweak let me know, i will do further testing. I didn't mention the other settings, but they are exactly which i posted before.

Attachments

• scr.jpg
    scr.jpg
    403.4 KB · Views: 407
So what you are saying is it will run now without freezing? I had a funny feeling about the CPU_NB as I said before My 9370 auto voltage for the CPU_NB under load was 1.45v cause something is heating that VRM of yours. We have to do something to cool things down you have a 20+ degree difference in package and socket temps which is approaching the limit of 70. I'm afraid that case doesn't have enough airflow in it

OK, a small correction, the volt was not 1.40 but 1.43, sorry for that, just noticed in bios. I will run a long test now, i will take a screenshot. i hope it will not freeze again. Will be in touch, i will leave the case cover on the side open, maybe it helps a bit.

You should be able to drop that voltage as well to 1.35 since you're only running 4.0 which will help with some of the heat.

I might like to see his p states, he just might have a high leakage cpu like my former 8350 that is now rgones.

I know the 9xxx cpus are supposed to be lower leakage but we never know.

I might like to see his p states, he just might have a high leakage cpu like my former 8350 that is now rgones.

I know the 9xxx cpus are supposed to be lower leakage but we never know.

I bounce around from site to site a bit C_D and recently saw a 9370 that needed 1.56v to run stable at 4.8
I'm really starting to wonder what kind of "binning" if any is really going on at GF

Hi all, i have now a bit more hope as before, I did prime stress test for 1 hour with 1.43 volt X20 (with x22 freezing in prime after 1 minute), it did not freeze, the cpu temp got max 70 degrees.

On advise i lowered it to 1.35, also x20 and it is running now half an hour without freeze. I hope it will be stable now. I just want to leave it 1 hour open for testing, and then i try a game. Because i had sometimes freezing in games and not in prime. If i have the results i will post all my settings till now. Thanks in advance again.

The cpu temp max is now 59 degrees and fx-9370 package max 37. I don't mind if my speed is x20, like i said before, just stable as possible, that counts.

Attachments

• 135-x20.jpg
    135-x20.jpg
    555.7 KB · Views: 408
We'll still need to work on that socket temp at some point. If you can get a fan on the back of the mobo that would help a lot. At least we're finally making some progress but we had to really loosen up that ram.

Change memory command rate to 2T There is no way you can run 16GB in 1T

Also you should try isetting memclock driving strenght to 2x

I understand, here's the story in short. I bought those parts 1 week ago, i am not a overclocker (but you figured that out in my first posting :), i had a HP Z210 i7 Workstation which didn't support gaming. The price difference was about 30 euros or something so i bought this 9370 (which i probably shouldn't had). I asked the seller if all the parts are ok and enough, so it was. I if knew better i had 100% bought water cooling (i will if it is needed). So that's how it went, hereby pic of my case. Pretty small inside. I will post all my settings if everything goes ok for adjustments.

* manually stopped after 1 hour, NO FREEZE thank God. Changed the Command rate to 2T now and Memclock from Auto to 2X.

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_20140327_175430237_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20140327_175430237_HDR.jpg
    840.5 KB · Views: 401
Last edited:
After seeing that picture, make sure to get fans in any open slots.
That would be:
- (1) 140mm front intake
- (2) 140mm top exhaust
- (1) 140mm bottom intake
- (1) 140mm side intake

That'll get you way farther than another cooler will right now.
You absolutely need to get some airFLOW through that case.

Edit: Also route your PSU cables behind the motherboard tray, it'll help with airflow.

It has one fan 1 the front, i will place 2 others more and get the cables right, thank you.

In the meantime i have Unigeni Valley Benchmark running for more then 1 hour, no freezing. The CPU went max to 40 degrees, gfx cpu to max 60 degrees.

bb5unlock << I would take that FX-9590 back and get a refund and get an FX-8350 and take the difference and get some fans for case. There is nothing cheap that you can do to get an FX-9590 to run in that case with an Air Cooler on the cpu. You likely are just going to chase one problem to the next with money leaving your hand each time you face the next problem.
RGone...ster.

Hi Rgone, I assume you ment fx-9370, mines is not a 9590. I googled for my case (Fractal design r4) with water cooling, here is one with Corsair, also others, so it fits: http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii163/sekazi/2012 PC Build/DSC04420.jpg

Status: My system didn't crash tonight, i played more then 1 hour skyrim without freeze. To be honestly i was freaked out with AMD to be honest, but now i begin to like it. Isn't it wiser to get watercooling (a good one) or should i definetely get a fx-8350?

CPU volt is now 1.35, heat getting max 60 degrees (1 hour prime stress).

Current FX-9xxx issues confused me...yes FX-9370

FX-9370 Processor:
Frequency 4400 Mhz << Should be able to run that with all 8 cores working.
Turbo frequency 4700 Mhz << Will run only "work" half the cores at 4.7Ghz.
You are running your FX-9370 at 4.0Ghz "just" to be stable so far. And in general we have only 'seen' one FX-9370 perform as we expect it to do based on how most FX-8350s perform.

bb5 said:
noticed when my cpu/nb is on AUTO mode, the default says 1.125. If i change this to 1.20 or 1.25 it freezes at test. So that is an issue, I don't know that we have seen such issue at all with any other FX processsor. ODD for certain. Maybe it is heat or just cpu related.

So "bb5" you ask would I mean that I would refund the FX-9370 that you have for an FX-8350? I most certainly think that I would based on what we have seen is necessary in terms of air thru the case and water to cool the FX-9xxx cpus.

There is one other thing. I see a lot of people going for FD cases but in this forum section and in the AMD Cpu Forum section there have been problems with cooling for FX 8 core processors. It was explained to me that FD cases are made to be quiet...not necessarily for what is an extreme heat situation as if one was a hard core overclocker. Your FX-9370 comes stock as already extreme overlocked.

Hi Rgone, I assume you ment fx-9370, mines is not a 9590. I googled for my case (Fractal design r4) with water cooling, here is one with Corsair, also others, so it fits: http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii163/sekazi/2012 PC Build/DSC04420.jpg

Status: My system didn't crash tonight, i played more then 1 hour skyrim without freeze. To be honestly i was freaked out with AMD to be honest, but now i begin to like it. Isn't it wiser to get watercooling (a good one) or should i definetely get a fx-8350?

CPU volt is now 1.35, heat getting max 60 degrees (1 hour prime stress).

I'm with RGone on this, for you to pursue a decent running 9370 you're going to need a new cooler AIO is $100 for a decent one also a new case. I don't think more fans will fix that one to the point it would need to be so another $100 +. I know he mentoned it earlier and he's correct. You'll be throwing money at this just to get it to run. Don't forget we still have memory that is going to need some attention if you want it to run better or even replaced so more money.
Or you take the 9370 and get an 8350 or even a 6350. The heat stops being a huge issue then, take the difference and get more fans for the case. I would also swap the ram if you can for a decent 2x4 gig kit of G.Skill 1866-2133. If you are able to swap parts with the supplier you'll get some money back in your pocket and a much more stable machine.

There is a lot of similar threads in the AMD section and people are still buying FX CPUs just to have the same issues.
Sorry for off topic but I just can't get that, especially that almost everyday someone new is repeating the same questions and others give the same answers.

It would be nice to have a thread with test results based on 3-4 popular benchmarks and games so all could compare results on both Intel and AMD platforms and pick something optimal for their needs without being a fanboy for any side. And I mean in all CPU lines , not only top series as to be honest, no one needs 8 core CPUs for games but many users just can't realize that ...

Not a bad idea Woomack maybe I could work on something like that over the summer , It would take a while for me, I still have 40 hrs of download time for Assassins creed.

Back