• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 + Amd FX-9590 Freeze/Unstable

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
you still have to get more cooling on yours.
to run in the 5's makes lots of heat and to do it on all 8 really takes some cooling.
into the 5's for mine take a 4x120 thick phobia g changer, mine tops out, for me, at 5.4 and takes a 4x180 rad to do that but Rgone had it at 5.6 on chilled water. mine has now retired to being a file server that hangs on the wall at 5.2 24x7.

HOTTER, FASTER, BETTER!!!!! why I loves my amd!!!!!
I do have some of that other stuff also.

Crap! So the 3X360 just showed up but you now you tell me I should just send it back and get the bigger one! Total insanity! I cant even mount this thing in my present case! Its nearly the size of a small cars radiator! Well #&^*!@&%()... I'm gonna try it and see if it will at least get stock to work. AMD should really warn folks about this before they spend their money. Chilled water indeed! I'm gonna have to get solar just to pay for my PC's power bill! At least that way I wont have to pay for it directly...

Just means you need a better case too :p

I feel your pain today. RMA'd my GTX670... got a 780 in return. Had to rip out my custom loop cause the pump doesn't fit any more :(

Al right all you wise ones! Got the new case. Dame thing is big enough to fit m old case in! installed the VW radiator. Cranked things up to 4.8 GHz and ran the **** out of it for awhile. Temp at idle is around 30C now! Temp at pissed off gets upwards of 60C maxed out. I might just be happy for now... Until they make a dual FX mobo that is! :)
Now which one of you kind souls will help me tweak this *#&%! to 5 GHz reliably humm??? Secrets, I needs yer secrets! (please)

- - - Updated - - -

BTW, sorry to hear about your pump not fitting anymore.... :(

There is no secret. Cooling + vcore. That's all there is. Your temps being 60c loaded already tells me that you will not get 5 gig anywhere near stable for more than a quick benchmark. You are at the norm at 4.8.

You may have to move toward a custom loop to hit 5 ghz. Sounds like you are at a heat wall as Scotty said. I'd say ride it out a bit on the AIO, and start getting a custom loop together over time to hit your goal.

You can turn off four cores and cut TDP quite a bit and try 5ghz. Should be able to run the High requested Pstate voltage for it without issues.

nothing wrong with trimming cores, very little that we ever do will ever use 8 cores anyway and many benches are run on 2 or 4 cores on these anyway.
we trade the heat of those core for a higher clock speed on the cores we are using.

Oh wow! I see. So its routine to cut cores off so the remainder can get to the 5G mark and be stable. How high up is Vcore okay to set? I read somewhere to leave everything else stock. Whats the groups view on all of this digi power settings? I have mine set mostly to high and fast. Nothing set to extreme. You keep saying a custom loop. I dont know what that means but it sounds like a custom job to make the cooling better, like hooking two 360's together?? BTW, is this group doing that you want so much speed? Gaming? I'm in it to crunch numbers. Electromagnetic simulation software stuff... Maybe I can get a water chiller loop bolted to my 360 system some how... My water at my house comes out of the ground so its pretty cold. Perhaps I need to get one of those tiny fridges for beer and set it in my room of electronic horror. Pipe my 360 radiator into that with extension tubes....

In any case, thank you all for your help and insight!

Is that 360 an AIO cooler? Custom is just that a custom water cooling set-up. The problem with AIO's is typically they have weaker pumps and small lines so there isn't a lot of water flow. I use chilled water and no the refrigerator idea doesn't really work. I do it just for benchmarking so going as fast as I can for short amounts of time. The issue with chilled water is condensation so I wouldn't recommend it for daily use since it requires insulation and waterproofing. Cutting cores can help with getting more speed for games that don't utilize all the core of you CPU. It can help I have done it myself. As for recommended safe voltage have a look at this guide it'll show you AMD's recommendations for CPU and NB using different types of cooling. http://www.amd.com/Documents/AMD_FX_Performance_Tuning_Guide.pdf

Back