• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus Striker II Formula

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

donneee

Registered
Hello, I'm a newbie here at OCF :shock:, so first and foremost HELLO! :thup:

On to my issue:
I have a Asus Striker II Formula and i was wondering if any of my voltages where too higher or even too low for my set up.

My rig is: q6600 (with g0 rev. stepping) and my ram is 6400 xms corsair ram (8 gigs).

i have it (i think) stable at 3.2GHz (stock @ 2.4), but come to find out I had to up a few voltages because as I was typing this it restarted :mad:

My ram is also overclocked to 850MHz (stock @ 800)

My Voltages are as followed: (if anything is missing it's on Auto)
CPU Voltage: 1.9375
CPU PLL: 1.70 ] Yellow*
CPU VTT: 1.50 ] Yellow*
Memory: 1.90
NB Core: 1.44
SB Core: 1.50

If any are indicated yellow, my mobo is just telling me there a bit high. But from what I researched, those are safe temps (but I'm really unsure.)

My Ram Timings are Manually configured to stock @ 5-5-5-18~2T

I have a few MoBo settings on such as Load line calibration and Limit CPUID, ect; but anything that turned down my core speed is OFF like intel speed step or C1E (Enhanced Speed step)

So do my voltages look good?

Also, I'm in dire need of a NB/SB/ect. temperature monitor program, SpeedFan isn't accurate enough (nor can I find what is what on it). I'm currently using RealTemp to monitor only my core temps which are 65 Celsius max on a ten min test with prime95 on realtemp with my current voltages.

donneee said:
CPU Voltage: 1.9375
I hope that's a typo. Without knowing the VID of your quad or the exact model Corsair XMS DDR2-800 that you have, give these settings a try for 3.2GHz...
Code:
FSB = 1425 (356)
MEM = 800 (400)
@ 9 multiplier = 3.2GHz

Voltages:
CPU Voltage = 1.4875 - 1.5 
CPU PLL = 1.6
CPU VTT = 1.4
DRAM Voltage = 1.9
NB Core = 1.56
SB Core = 1.60
1.2v HT = 1.2
Bridge = 1.2

CPU GTL_REF Ratio = +30mV
NB GTL_REF Ratio = +30mV
DDRII Contr. Ref = DDR2_REF+10mV
DDRII Chan. A Ref = DDR2_REF+10mV
DDRII Chan. B Ref = DDR2_REF+10mV

i'll give it a try and come back with a results in a sec.

also my ram is CORSAIR XMS2 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model TWIN2X4096-6400C5

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145184

Oddly if you get 8 gigs worth of these sticks, i can't run them at stock voltage (even if i have my q6600 at stock settings and voltages). i have to run it i believe .6 voltages up but since you gave me a 1.9 that should be no problem.

before i even try these settings, how would you find the vid of a processor?

then my vid would be 1.2375 (if it's the one near the little check mark that says VID)

no good keeps restarting right after my windows 7 loading screen is done. and yes that was a typo... it was suppose to be 1.19...

Since the current Vcore is 1.19V, and the VID is 1.2375, bump the Vcore at least .05V to 1.24V. If you can make it into Windows, and after running Memtest86+ to check RAM stability, run Prime w/ CPU-Z open to verify the loaded Vcore. It shouldn't drop below the current Vcore of 1.24V, and if it does then keep raising it until it's the same or slightly higher.

thanks :D, it runs a LOT more stable, hopefully 24 hours. quick question though, is core voltage the same as when you say vcore and the recommended/max would be the VID that's said on realtemp? i'm assuming but this would be the first i ever asked someone.

Is core voltage the same as when you say vcore?
Yes, Core Voltage = Vcore = Vcc (you'll see this listed in Intel documentation)
And the recommended/max would be the VID that's said on realtemp?
No, the VID = Voltage ID which is the voltage that Intel binned your processor at, and which falls within a "VID Voltage Range" for your particular series of chip, for example 0.8500V-1.5V for a 65nm Q6600 (your example being 1.2375). Intel tests the stability of the CPU with decreasing voltage at some constant clock speed until the CPU fails, then adds in a safety margin on top of the lowest stable voltage.

The recommended max. for the Q6000 and QX6000 series chips on the 65nm process is 1.475V, and the "absolute max" as spec'd by Intel is 1.55V. If you'd like to read the Intel documentation for this series of chips...

Intel® Core™2 Extreme Quad-Core Processor QX6000 Sequence and Intel® Core™2 Quad Processor Q6000 Sequence
http://download.intel.com/design/processor/datashts/31559205.pdf

sorry to "bump" this thread, but now i'm trying to OC a little more since it's winter and my board gives me the advantage of having profiles saved as files for bios settings so i'm putting together a winter setting. it's super cold in my room so i decided to try for 3.4 with the current cooler i have.

in my last run, i had 3.2 stable at a 1.29.... (i forgot the rest, it was under 1.3 though). temps were super (i thought, cause i have a decent cooler, not the greatest) prime getting them to 67C top on a 24 hour test.
shooting for 3.4, i thought i could just up the volt a bit, but if i upped it too much i'll be redlining my Distance to TJ Max, my temps shot up to 87C during 30 mins of a prime test a few mins ago so i had to stop it. It didn't get to the TJ Max though (it was nearly at 0, having only a distance of 3 till the TJ max was hit). in any of my settings my idle temps were nearly the same. i found in increasing my vtt lowered my idle temps but i dont really want to put it any higher.

i know for sure i can get it stable and have low temps @ 3.4, so based on my 3.2 voltages vs my 3.4 voltages what could i do to decrease my temps? i know lowering my Vcc would help but it'll cost me some stability at 3.4 unless i make something else higher. i cleaned out all the dust inside my pc, closed the case, modded some fans on to my case to blow direct cold air onto my HSF, and opened my window and put a window fan in it to further decrease my room temp.

anywho here are my 3.2 settings. under them will be my current 3.4.

@3.2
FSB = 1425
MEM = 800
@ 9 multiplier = 3.2GHz

Voltages:
CPU Voltage = 1.29... <1.30
CPU PLL = 1.6
CPU VTT = 1.5
DRAM Voltage = 1.9
NB Core = 1.56
SB Core = 1.60
1.2v HT = 1.2
Bridge = 1.2

NB GTL_REF Ratio = +30mV

@3.4
FSB = 1512
MEM = 800
@ 9 multiplier = 3.4GHz

Voltages:
CPU Voltage = 1.32-.34 (still testing to see if i can go lower with slightly higher vtt and pll)
CPU PLL = 1.64
CPU VTT = 1.54
DRAM Voltage = 1.9
NB Core = 1.56
SB Core = 1.60
1.2v HT = 1.2
Bridge = 1.2

NB GTL_REF Ratio = +30mV

Edit: i can't really underclock to 3.3 which i would be happy with, cause there's FSB holes from 1465~150X (still testing where it's at, might be in the high 149X).

Last edited:
Striker 2 Formula GTL

According to the calculations, your GTL settings are way off. Besides, Are you oc'ing your ram? DONT OC or overvolt your RAM, BAD IDEA!!! ALSO, WATCH THAT VTT, YOU DONT NEED IT THAT HIGH!!! YOU ARE GONNA BURN YOUR **** UP BRO!!! Bump it up a tad but it does need to be high at all and neither does the PLL. Mine are a tad above stock.

Asus Striker 2 Formula
Intel Q6700@ 3.5 Ghz (1.45 v)
2 x 2gb DDR2 1066 (2.1 v)

PLL @ 1.57 v
Vtt @ 1.26 v
NB @ 1.57 v
SB @ 1.57 v ( ONLY because I have 2 x 8800gt's in SLI), I just bumped it up a tad.

GTL alteration ONLY IF YOU ARE OC'ING!!!! According to the calculations for gtl(.67 x vtt = GTL SETTING for 65nm cpu's). Usually you can get away with this being on AUTO.

CPU gtl @ +70 (+80 by the calculation, but it varies. This is fine tuning depending on the load noise level, so it is + or - 10 to 20mv)
NB gtl @ +70 ( I match the cpu setting just because)
all ddr2 ref on auto

CPU temp @ 35 -37c idle
MB temp @ 34c
NB temp @ 59c
SB temp @ 60c

ALL ON AIR COOLING!!!!!

3DMARK scored 14,500 and PLAYS BATTLEFIELD 3 FLAWLESSLY!!!!! LOVE IT!!! STABLE STABLE STABLE STABLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Back