• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus X99 Deluxe/U3.1 Overclock Failed

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kiasta

I just got this yesterday along with an Intel 5820k and 32GB of G.Skill Ripjaws4 2800MHz. The issue is everytime I try to enable the XMP profile and boot into windows it crashes and I get an Overclock Error at post upon rebooting. I've even went through their wizard in the BIOS and I get the same error. I even manually change the values, increase to 125MHz, set the latencies, etc. Still get an overclock failed error. Is there something I'm missing with trying to get this to 2800MHz? The only way I can actually use the computer is leaving ALL settings to default. I even updated the BIOS from 1601 to 1801 and I still get the same issues.

I've only built a few computers and never overclocked anything save for my last AMD Phenom II 955 BE but that was only a few hundred MHz and with a good air cooler. Could this potentially be a bad board? I've seen a lot of issues regarding this board that I wish I would have seen before I bought it. The ASUS rep at newegg has yet to reply... so hopefully I can get this resolved.

I should note that I am able to boot into windows and everything is completely fine when I leave the XMP profile disabled and all settings as default, otherwise any tweaks to any timings or anything related to RAM settings causes an issue.

Any ideas on what I should do to fix this issue?

Figured I would reply to this in case anyone else comes across this issue. For whatever reason I never tried to use the auto-tuning feature after I updated the BIOS and that seemed to do the trick, the XMP profile finally took without that annoying overclock error. Weird thing is though even though the BIOS says I am at 2400MHz (I would have to do some tweaking to get 2800MHz, which I figured I would have to do anyways) when I run CPU-Z it only shows 2133MHz not sure which to believe but there it is.

Believe CPUz.
Instead of using XMP try setting your speed and timings manually.

And if you up the BCLK while doing it, make sure you pull the rest of the speeds back down.

Ran into this just recently on my x99 deluxe. I found for my fix raising system agent voltage seems to have gotten me out of the overclock failed loop I was in.

Believe CPUz.
Instead of using XMP try setting your speed and timings manually.

And if you up the BCLK while doing it, make sure you pull the rest of the speeds back down.

The problem with that is every time I even attempt to manually configure the timings and bclk I get that error, it's quite annoying, but I'll give it a go again, the new BIOS seems a bit more stable.

Ran into this just recently on my x99 deluxe. I found for my fix raising system agent voltage seems to have gotten me out of the overclock failed loop I was in.

I might try that to see if I can set some settings, I was also experiencing high temps at around 71C even with a noctua d15 with both fans. I added more intake and it reduced the temps by 6C but still... 65C on load with idle temps around 30C sees a bit off. I re-pasted a few times but nothing has changed much. Anyways going to tinker with the BIOS some more with both of your suggestions thanks :)

Yeah, the problem was the auto tuning messing with the settings. I was able to get an overclock of 4.4GHz with a max temp of 72C at 1.275v. For some reason going to 4.5GHz is unstable below 1.325v, yet 4.4GHz is stable at 1.275, that seems a little odd to me. I'm going to attempt to get an even lower voltage with 4.4GHz but it's below the 1.3v limit so I think it's fine. Here is an ss of the stable testbench using RealBench. Setting the BCLK and manually setting the voltage is what did it for me. I still can't overclock my RAM to 2800MHz yet, no matter how much I tweak the BCLK and ratios, but honestly 2400MHz is plenty fast so I am not really that worried about it.

LWTz5gH.png

Temps look good, vCore sounds right too. You're getting to the wall where it takes more volts to get small jumps in speed.

Ah ok, well I ran it overnight and temps never reached above 68C and no crashes so it seems stable, this Noctua D15 is no joke, with a little bit of tinkering to get the numbers right it cools pretty well. Thanks for the suggestions guys I really appreciate it.

I spoke too soon, immediately after closing down everything and starting cinebench to get my score I get a BSOD and the infamous Overclock Error at post again! I turned the voltage back to auto and the voltage gets up to 1.290v max, so I'm thinking I was just a little too low. Going to do more tests though and see what the optimal voltage is for 4.4.

This! Technically, speaking the integrated memory controller is not rated for 2800 mhz. Not sure exactly what it is rated for but for Haswell core CPUs its rated for 1600 mhz. Now the Haswells will easily run RAM at much faster frequencies than 1600 mhz but sometimes need a little help with extra voltage to the memory controller which is typically labeled as "System Agent" in bios. And in your case, you are also running 32 gb of RAM which puts even more strain on the IMC. Try giving the System Agent a couple of bumps in voltage.

For some reason 14.xx BIOS on RVE was acting weird at 125bclk strap. I couldn't make memory to run at XMP settings or manually. Latest 15.xx BIOS fixed it.
Still I would recommend to run memory at 100 bclk manually and 2666 memory clock at tighter timings.

Generally on X99 all you have to do to OC CPU and memory is to set CPU ratio, CPU voltage, memory clock and memory voltage if needed.
All other voltages are required only when you run CPU at really high clocks or when you set 3000+ memory clock at tighter timings.
Also disable C stages and EIST but keep Turbo enabled. In most cases you can keep everything enabled but usually it's easier to achieve full stability when these options are disabled.

In theory SA voltage should help when you are using higher capacity RAM but in real it's not required. These boards are designed to run with 128GB+ RAM on stock. At least I never needed to set higher SA voltage than 0.95-1.0V for 32GB on 4x8GB or 8x4GB kits and clocks above 3000. However can try with +0.1V ( 1.00-1.05V max ) and maybe it will help if BIOS is setting something wrong.

Last edited:
Back