• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus X99-PRO with 5820K - Got to 4.625Ghz stable, Can I get Higher? TIPS NEEDED!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

LordX

Hey guys - followed a little vid on basic OC and got to 4.625GHz on water cooling with an Intel 5820k on an ASUS x99-Pro mobo.

I was able to hit 4.7ghz stable with nothing done to the RAM.. but once I switched to the XMP profile, and BCLK jumped to 125Mhz, I was only able to get a 4.625Ghz stable clock. I tried the 38 multiplier to get 4.75Ghz but just couldn't get it to stay stable with the AIDA64 stability test.

Settings:

XMP Profile for RAM @ 3000mhz
BCLK @ 125 (autoed to this after xmp setting)
Multi @ 37 = 125 x 37 = 4.625Ghz
CPU Voltage = 1.3
Ram Voltage = 1.35

Everything else AUTO in the AI Tweaker. I TRIED to boost voltage to both the RAM and the CPU with 38 multi (4.75ghz) - and it just kept failing. Temps looked oooook at this ghz (78-85 max on cores).

I saw some vid showing the system agent voltage being adjusted (this vid was for the x99-deluxe, not pro) - and it was adjusted to 1.02V - my board shows system agent, and it is at 1.17 on AUTO.... so don't know if I should touch it!

However, any tips to push the ghz (and be stable) are welcome - or even advice saying 4.625 is just fine!

I am not disappointed with a 40% overclock, but if I can push it and stay stable, why not?!

Having previously had an i7 5820K rig, 4.625 GHz is better than fine, it's excellent. :thup:

4.6Ghz is a solid 24/7 clock, indeed.

But to answer your question, you can go higher I would imagine. We say to keep voltage at 1.35v or less, you are 1.3, so you have some headroom there. What you didn't mention, was your temperatures. Keep that CPU under 90C.

Push on if you choose and are under those values.

Thanks for the feedback! When stressing the CPU with AIDA64 - I did get a max temp on one core of 89C - so I will keep the system as it is!

As a 'real world' test I played Fallout 4 for 2+ hours - the highest temp any core hit was 60C.

This is a gaming rig - so that was as real world as possible!

PS - DaveB - you said you 'used' to have a 5820k - what did you move to?

Ok - I phrased that wrong - I guess my question was: Why move from a 5820k down?

4.6 GHz on a 5820K is great.

However, I think you should use other tools in addition to AIDA64 to check for stability and max temperature. I couple I use:

- Intel Extreme Tuning Utility
- OCCT
- Prime95 (ver 26.6) blend test, small FFT test
--- If you use ver 28.5 or higher for this tool, your CPU power will increase by around 50%...and that's A LOT of power to cool
- HyperPi for memory
- SETI@Home
- Heaven for graphics

I have had a "stable" overclock in one of these tools, but have had a crash for the other tools.

For me, knowing that my system is 100% stable and won't crash is more important than being able to run a game stable...most games don't put a heavy load on this processor.

Everybody has their own "recipe" for stability, but I set my standards pretty high:

- After I think I have a "stable" overclock, I run each of the above tools for 30 minutes...watching temperatures
- Assuming it's stable, I crank up SETI@Home and Heaven (set to use 90% of CPU and 100% of GPU) and let it run for a few hours

If it passes that, then I have high confidence that my overclock is stable.

The 5820K puts out a lot of power. You say you are on "water cooling" - what sort of cooling is this?

- - - Updated - - -

Just to be clear...I would not run any Prime95 version higher than 26.6 with that overclock...

JrClocker - thanks for the tips and info!

A good set of tools to test with - and I will use some of them to test some more!

Although - when you said that some of the tests are "more important than being able to run a game stable" - I would agree for a system that is being built for long use and/or 3D editing/rendering.

However, this system is a gaming ONLY system - so being able to game for a few hours in a row and not crashing is THE definitive real world test for me. :)

The longest time I would have to game would be 8pm to 2am - and that would be pushing it for my life right now!

Also - thanks for giving the version numbers for prime95! - I see people saying to avoid it, but not giving the details like you did.

Last edited:
Although - when you said that some of the tests are "more important than being able to run a game stable" - I would agree for a system that is being built for long use and/or 3D editing/rendering.

However, this system is a gaming ONLY system - so being able to game for a few hours in a row and not crashing is THE definitive real world test for me.

I follow the logic there, but do not agree with it.

Unless you close every single program and service (which is impossible), you never know what Windows will try to do when you are gaming. If you don't mind having the possibility of a hard crash while gaming...that's your choice. However, if there is a hard Windows crash while Windows is trying to write to an important area, you could bork your Windows installation. If you don't mind dealing with the possibility of having to reinstall Windows...

We all take these risks when we overclock (i.e. running a component outside of its tolerances). For me, it's more important to not have my system crash...I never know when the Zombie Apocalypse is going to happen...and I want a stable system when it does! :D

Back