• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus z170 Deluxe Overclock

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Rainwater

Hey I just finished my new build with an i7 6700k in an Asus z170 Deluxe. 32gb 3200mhz ddr4, gtx 1080 ftw hybrid, h100i v2 cpu cooler, rm850i psu, 256gb 950 pro m.2. I went all out on this build and spent wat too much money but whatever. I'm coming from an older 2600k in a gigabyte z68 mobo. This z170 Deluxe is so extensive it's nuts. This mobo has every setting and more. I almost don't even know where to begin. With my gigabyte I only changed a handful of settings and was stable @ 4.5ghz. I would like to get this stable at around the same. Maybe higher. I'm hoping to come across someone with this same mobo and cpu that can give me a rundown of how you got yours stable so I can have a starting point. There was no adaptive and offset and all that stuff in my last bios. It was simple. I mostly just game and I tend to shut my pc down every day and I persoanlly do not care about feeding my cpu 1.4 volts. Sure I dpn't mind keeping it under 1.35 either but really idc. I will not see C.D. at 1.4 idc what anyone says it's npt going to happen. Not to an extent that it's going to affect my cpu. Especially before I get the 7700k in a couple months anyway so please if you're running a stable oc @ 4.8-5.0 or something with high vcore I'm not scared. I'm an enthusiast and the only reason I go to work is to spend money on my PC. Thank you in advance, I work full time and go to school full time and I'm just trying to save a little time.

Set the multi at 4.5Ghz and 1.3V and see if it works... rinse and repeat like sandybridge..... if its stable, lower voltage, if its not, raise voltage. Keep voltage under 1.45V, temps under 90C on stress test loads.

that's it just the voltage no loan line no system agent voltage an so forth no offset no adaptive just keep it at that? I figured it might be a little more than that Even on my last build I changed more than that anyway thanks have a good night. If anyone has the same mobo and cpu and has a stable oc that wants to share a little of what they did that would be awesome otherwise I'll figure it out

That's really it...I am not trying to rush you away.

*3200 Mhz memory will run fine, no SA adjustments will likely be needed. Now, you have 32GB, so you may need to add a bit more. Leave memory at 2133 and work on the CPU, then enable XMP and see what happens. If its not stable with XMP, add .1V to SA and see if that stabilizes things on the memory side.

*Using adaptive voltage is a choice, not a requirement. You can manually set it and work your way down or up or use adaptive to do the same thing.

*LLC is also a personal thing. If your load voltage sags and you don't want it to, use it. Otherwise, don't. It won't help or hurt anything either way.

As I said before, and as the process was with SB...try it. I gave you some limits of voltage and temps to stay under. Every CPU is different so I am giving you a starting point for 4.5 GHz. My suggestion for 4.7 Ghz.......... start off at 1.4V and see if its stable and work your way up/down while keeping an eye on temps. You may be at the limit of the cooler at that point.

Thing is, people can easily use a $150 board for overclocking on ambient cooling (even an AIO, yes). 90% of the overclocking options in most motherboards are never touched id imagine. It really is down to the Vcore and multi unless you are running fast ram and a ton of it (you are on the edge).

Ya I've already enabled the xmp and have my ram running at 3200mhz. I should turn that off tho and oc the cpu first? And believe me I've already considered taking back the Asus and getting another 170$ gigabyte board. I got this one because well for one because I thought it was the sexiest mobo I could find to put my Carbide case and for two because I got a cheap giga and 4 days later fried it by plugging the pump from my cooler onto the mobo while it was on lol I've probably 200 times on my last build plugged the panel fan onto the mobo while it was on and I've never had anything like that happen to me before. So I wanted one with built in surge and a reset button and all that sh*t. I almost settled for the standard z170 board same white/silver/blue color scheme but after that incident got the deluxe. Plus it has m.2 and wifi and bluetooth anyway thank you I will turn off the xmp until I have a stable oc then mess with it.

Thank you

- - - Updated - - -

I already have xmp enabled and running at 3200mhz. You think I should turn that off and get my cpu stable first?

Back