• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus z270 maximus ix formula help.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rage_killerz

Registered
Hi all Im looking for some help. im getting issues on my system with lag spikes and weird stutters when running games. my HD seems to go nuts sometimes as well not sure whats going on. at first i thought it was down to my gpu being a Inno 3d 1080 hybrid black as i am gaming at 4k. which I recently upgraded to a EVGA 1080ti Kingpin but still i was getting issues..though the fps was alot better at 4k then before i would still get these random horrible lag spikes and fps drops. I have a pretty highend system to begin with but even with this new card i was getting issues so I got in contact with EVGA live chat and i was told by one of the tech agents to try and run the benchmark fire strike ultra test so i did and then was told that after looking at my results it looked like my cpu was throttling due to the speed of the memory running at an xmp profile and they told me to disable the xmp profile or that I would need to overclock the cpu in order to run this memory at its xmp speed. however even with the memory not running in xmp profile i still got the performance issues.and the card was not even reaching its advertised speed so i have since RMAd it and waiting for the replacment. howver as i said..even with the other card i was still getting issues. im not sure whats going on but would like to try and get to the botteom of this. so im asking for help on here hopeing someone with more experience can help me get to the bottem of this issue. my system spec can be found below. any more info let me know.

cpu: i7 7700k stock 4ghz turbo 4.5
cooler: NZKT Kraken 52x (Camsoftware)
GPU: gtx 1080 Inno3d hybrid black
RAM:2x8 DDR4 Trident Z RGB 3200mhz
Windows HD: Samsung 840evo 250gb
gaming drive 1: WDC WD1002FAEX
gaming drive 2: WDC WD4004FZWX
Windows 10 64bit
PSU: EVGA GL2 850watt
Case: Cooler master HAF-X

We don'ttttt have Military qualification's thoughhhhh shall not passssss......onwarddddd.

Do you have those 2 drives in RAID or stand-alone ? what version of Windows 10 are you using ?

Do you have those 2 drives in RAID or stand-alone ? what version of Windows 10 are you using ?

Hey thanks for the reply. To answer you question no I dont have them in RAID mode. i thought they had to be identical to set up a raid config..there not the same drives and the windows 10 im using is the standerd one.

is it home or pro is what hes asking ;)
hmmm i cant understand what evga is saying. you should be fine with xmp enabled and your cpu running at stock. i would disable speedstep, EIST etc if your cpu is throttling. then rerun firestrike.
are you gaming online with other people? if so that could be a big factor as to why your getting lag spikes. there may be other players lagging you out.

Last edited:
is it home or pro is what hes asking ;)
hmmm i cant understand what evga is saying. you should be fine with xmp enabled and your cpu running at stock. i would disable speedstep, EIST etc if your cpu is throttling. then rerun firestrike.
are you gaming online with other people? if so that could be a big factor as to why your getting lag spikes. there may be other players lagging you out.

O right sorry in that case its home edition. i get the lag and stutter in ofline games aswell. evga said the cpu needs to be overclocked to keep up with the speed of the memory or something and I haven't tried to overclock it yet. and I just found out that the bios I am using on the motherboard is outdated.. I'm not sure though and they don't explain clearly how to go about updating it though. im supposed to rename the file but i dunno what to name it to so haven't been able to try updating bios to see if that fixes the issue. not sure how to disable speedstep or EIST. not sure what that stuff is or were to find it..thanks

O right sorry in that case its home edition. i get the lag and stutter in ofline games aswell. evga said the cpu needs to be overclocked to keep up with the speed of the memory or something and I haven't tried to overclock it yet. and I just found out that the bios I am using on the motherboard is outdated.. I'm not sure though and they don't explain clearly how to go about updating it though. im supposed to rename the file but i dunno what to name it to so haven't been able to try updating bios to see if that fixes the issue. not sure how to disable speedstep or EIST. not sure what that stuff is or were to find it..thanks

This doesn't make any sense. Are you sure that's what EVGA told you? You should not have to do anything to the CPU if you are running 3200 mhz RAM. Just set the bios to XMP mode as you have done already.

As far as updating the bios, that's very easy to do. Download the latest bios from Asus and put it on a flash drive that has been formatted in FAT 32. Most flash drives are formated in FAT 32 by default but you can check this in Properties with a right mouse click on the flash drive. Insert the flash drive into any USB port and boot into bios. Find the section in bios where the bios update tool is located. Often it's under a section called "Tools." The bios should then find the newer version file on the flash drive and install it. You shouldn't have to change the name of anything.

- - - Updated - - -

Hi all Im looking for some help. im getting issues on my system with lag spikes and weird stutters when running games. my HD seems to go nuts sometimes as well not sure whats going on. at first i thought it was down to my gpu being a Inno 3d 1080 hybrid black as i am gaming at 4k. which I recently upgraded to a EVGA 1080ti Kingpin but still i was getting issues..though the fps was alot better at 4k then before i would still get these random horrible lag spikes and fps drops. I have a pretty highend system to begin with but even with this new card i was getting issues so I got in contact with EVGA live chat and i was told by one of the tech agents to try and run the benchmark fire strike ultra test so i did and then was told that after looking at my results it looked like my cpu was throttling due to the speed of the memory running at an xmp profile and they told me to disable the xmp profile or that I would need to overclock the cpu in order to run this memory at its xmp speed. however even with the memory not running in xmp profile i still got the performance issues.and the card was not even reaching its advertised speed so i have since RMAd it and waiting for the replacment. howver as i said..even with the other card i was still getting issues. im not sure whats going on but would like to try and get to the botteom of this. so im asking for help on here hopeing someone with more experience can help me get to the bottem of this issue. my system spec can be found below. any more info let me know.

cpu: i7 7700k stock 4ghz turbo 4.5
cooler: NZKT Kraken 52x (Camsoftware)
GPU: gtx 1080 Inno3d hybrid black
RAM:2x8 DDR4 Trident Z RGB 3200mhz
Windows HD: Samsung 840evo 250gb
gaming drive 1: WDC WD1002FAEX
gaming drive 2: WDC WD4004FZWX
Windows 10 64bit
PSU: EVGA GL2 850watt
Case: Cooler master HAF-X

That's bull!

Let's make sure you aren't getting thermal throttling of the CPU. Your water cooler should be plenty adequate for cooling that CPU, especially at stock speeds and voltages, but let's not take for granted the cooler is cooling properly. Please do this:

1. Download and install HWMonitor (non pro version) and the latest version of Prime95.
2. Open HWMonitor and leave it open on the desktop. Make sure the section that shows package and core temps is in view.
3. Run the Prime95 "just stress testing" in "blend" mode (which is the default) for 20 minutes.
4. With Windows Snipping Tool, capture a screen shot of the HWMonitor interface and attach it to a new post using the "Go Advanced" button found in the lower right corner of any new post windows. This will take you to the built in forum tool for uploading and attaching captured images.

Last edited:
Would be interested in seeing your current settings, too. Grab bios screenshots with f12 or printscreen (with a usb stick plugged in to a working port).

Did you initial the 4 TB drive? If is a new internal drive you will need to initialize it before the OS can see it.

Don't know what I was responding to here. Can't find the reference anymore to a 4 TB drive. Must have read that in another thread. I'm losing it guys!

Last edited:
i will try download hardware moniter and prime. the drive is shown up as i can acces it and save file to it in windows. and yea the evga tech told me it looked like the cpu was thermal throteling and said the resson was the memory running at higher speeds..he said when running memory at higher speeds you will have to overclock the cpu a little bit for it to be stable.regardles of setting xmp profile.

Do you have AIsuite installed or other software for your mouse or anything like that. Those things can cause issues.
That tech hasn't got a clue. 3200 memory isn't even considered "fast" these days and ASUS BIOS is pretty good when left on auto most of the time.

Do you have AIsuite installed or other software for your mouse or anything like that. Those things can cause issues.
That tech hasn't got a clue. 3200 memory isn't even considered "fast" these days and ASUS BIOS is pretty good when left on auto most of the time.

I did have ASUS AI suite previously installed but since I upgraded my CPU cooler to the NZKT kraken x52 it needs CAM software to function properly so I had to uninstalled the asus suite as I was told by cam support that it causes issues. the other programs I have installed are EVGA precision XOC, EVGA TORQ X10 gaming mouse, malwarebytes, Corsair Utility engine, ASUS Sonic studio 3 and Samsung magician

i will try download hardware moniter and prime. the drive is shown up as i can acces it and save file to it in windows. and yea the evga tech told me it looked like the cpu was thermal throteling and said the resson was the memory running at higher speeds..he said when running memory at higher speeds you will have to overclock the cpu a little bit for it to be stable.regardles of setting xmp profile.

If the stuttering was being caused by thermal throttling then overclocking the CPU for curing memory issues would only make it run hotter. Either you misunderstood what the tech was saying or that tech needs to go into another line of work.

he said more or less. after looking at the firstrike result it looked like my cpu was throteling and told me to clock back my memory from xmp profile to stock saying that if i wanted to run the memory at its 3200mhz i would have to overclock the cpu to 4.7ghz but i never did

Go back to post #8 and provide the info trents asked for. Help us help you. Personally I don't think it's throttling I think it's either a software issue or it's still struggling with 4K. Easy ways to test but you need to do some testing

Go back to post #8 and provide the info trents asked for. Help us help you. Personally I don't think it's throttling I think it's either a software issue or it's still struggling with 4K. Easy ways to test but you need to do some testing

sorry. im doing that now. is 29.3 the latest version for prime95? A quick google search i could only find 3rd party sites to download that software not a direct site so i don't no if that's the latest version or not. thanks

Yes 29.3 would be the latest version but I doubt it's necessary at this point.This is a gaming issue and P95 is way over the top for that IMO. Download a trial version of AIDA64 and run the stress test. It'll give all the info you need, temps are the big one here.

Yes 29.3 would be the latest version but I doubt it's necessary at this point.This is a gaming issue and P95 is way over the top for that IMO. Download a trial version of AIDA64 and run the stress test. It'll give all the info you need, temps are the big one here.

ok..Im new to this so i dunno about aida64 or how to use it i downloaded the trial version of aida 64 extream.. do i just run the stability test as is with the current boxes checked or do i need to check all the boxes? thanks

Back