• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AT7 and AthlonXP 2100 Yes/No??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BrewMeister

Hello all,

I have read several NG posts about problems with Abit AT7 Motherboards (version 1.0 & 1.1) and not POSTING with correctly or at all with AMD AthlonXP 2100 & 2200 mHz (.013micron) CPU's.

To make matters worse I "just" received:

An Abit AT7 (Version 1.0) MoBo from NewEgg
a 2100 AthlonXP from TCWO
1 gig of DDR333 Mushkin RAM
4ea Maxtor 80Gig 7200/133 Hd's to configure in a 0+1 array.
& I'm waiting on my True550 Power Supply.

So naturally I'd really like to hear from some users out there who have had success with this CPU/MoBo combo.

Thanks in advnce for any and all help.
TTFN
Tim

Sonny thanks for the fine WELCOME!

I don't know if I have a .013 or .018 CPU. It is green, which I've been told means its a .013??
Here are the markings on the CPU itself:

ML C 1999 AMD

Does that mean anything to anyone? It doesn't mean anything to me nor have I been able to find a difinitive definition anywhere...

Sonny thanks again for the help...

BrewMeister said:
Sonny thanks for the fine WELCOME!

I don't know if I have a .013 or .018 CPU. It is green, which I've been told means its a .013??
Here are the markings on the CPU itself:

ML C 1999 AMD

Does that mean anything to anyone? It doesn't mean anything to me nor have I been able to find a difinitive definition anywhere...

Sonny thanks again for the help...
i'm almost 100% sure that it only has problems with the 2200's, you should be fine with your 2100. :cool:

Having a greeny doesnt mean you have a .13micron CPU/ Thoroughbred. Dont worry too much about it since it really looks like you are in the clear.

You need to revise your sig ASAP. It is againts Forum rules & I suggest for you to read our rules here so your stay can be as fun as mine has been:beer:

°EDIT° I thought all those links were in your sig, my mistake;)

They are in your sig!!!!! Please remove all the links in your sig ASAP

Last edited:
Hello again,

Well received the long-awaited last component, the Antec True550 power supply yesterday. I finished assembling things fired WinXP-Pro up. And I have to tell you things couldn't have went better. The System booted up 1st try, I configured the RAID, Video, Speakers; LAN; USB 2.0 drivers. And...

EVERYTHING worked LAN is fine, sound sounds great to my ear, and the system speed is fantastic...haven't used the FireWire yet but hope to soon.

The USB 2.0 is terrific, my CF cards with 4 Megapixel photos fly onto my harddrive.

Well thanks to all who offered advice and wisdom.

there ya go...

welcome to the forums ..!!! nice rig tim...i'm glad i had the privelage of a preview on your system. and glad to hear it was a successful build for you.

i was wondering if you got your power supply. did you get my last e-mails? i explained you were in the clear if you checked the square core as opposed to the rectangle core. and i also explained that there was no relevance to the green or brown chip as i thought there was.....

it was confusing for a while with the conflicts between the .13 and the .18 chips......

you did the right thing by inquiring before you built.

let us know what your temps look like, and also...i know you want to unlock...possibly....and it's not the same for all chips. there are 2 steps to doing the xp2100. consult sonny for some info there....sonny is addicted , and knows abit boards pretty well too

hi again sonny.

tim, i wanted to ask ...what bios did your board come with?...and did you flash it, or leave it?

Last edited:
BrewMeister said:
EVERYTHING worked LAN is fine,
ahh! you lucky dog you. :) i must have the beta test ginea pig version, my lan doesn't work and abit wont reply to my email when inquiring about it. :( but what the hell, i only have a measly 10 usb ports to use with my usb compatible cable modem (which i'm using right now) :)

like madsam, i too would like to know which bios version you have. i believe my bios is version 1.0. so i'm not sure if my lan is defective, or if i just need to flash my bios.

bois

Jerky said:

ahh! you lucky dog you. :) i must have the beta test ginea pig version, my lan doesn't work and abit wont reply to my email when inquiring about it. :( but what the hell, i only have a measly 10 usb ports to use with my usb compatible cable modem (which i'm using right now) :)

like madsam, i too would like to know which bios version you have. i believe my bios is version 1.0. so i'm not sure if my lan is defective, or if i just need to flash my bios.

version 1 is the motherboard version. the bios is something like 8r or 8v or if your board is like mine...it may have an evaluation bios. i flashed mine to 8r, after sonny suggested it a few monthe ago. since then the 8v has been released, but i hear it's supposed to support the t-bred, but i also understand it's a failed attempt.

look on the bottom left of your monitor when it posts your system info, the bios is the last 2 digits on the info on the bottom left.,....that's the screen that says ...hit delete to enter bios setup.......i use dial-up, but if i get dsl, i'll try that lans, but right now i don't know if it works....

You guys are starting to make me want the AT7:eek: :D :cool: There are still a few basic tweaks to the 4in1s & RAID for these boards. I think there is another 5%-10% improvement to be had on RAID even on default clockspeed/FSB. Hopefully you guys are running either a 16K or 32K stripe set.

Remove all non approved links in your sig ASAP

Re: bois

madsam said:

version 1 is the motherboard version. the bios is something like 8r or 8v or if your board is like mine...it may have an evaluation bios. i flashed mine to 8r, after sonny suggested it a few monthe ago. since then the 8v has been released, but i hear it's supposed to support the t-bred, but i also understand it's a failed attempt.

look on the bottom left of your monitor when it posts your system info, the bios is the last 2 digits on the info on the bottom left.,....that's the screen that says ...hit delete to enter bios setup.......i use dial-up, but if i get dsl, i'll try that lans, but right now i don't know if it works....
well, i checked to see what bios version i have (like you said :cool: ) and i have ver. 8r. so i went to the abit site to see what all it supported on it, and it is supposed to be the version that has the boot rom to lan fix. but it still doesn't work? :(
maybe my rj45 cable is just bad, because it's crushed in one part. you know, like it might be messed up or something? or maybe it's my near dead mobo battery. (it came dead and i lose all my bios settings when i unplug it from the wall). :confused:
i dunno what the problem is, but like i said i only have 10 little ol usb ports to use, so no prob... sort of. :burn:

Hello all,

Thanks all, especially MADSAM who helped with all the great links and the info on exactly which CPU I have.

Well I've updated and cleaned up my Signature Block, didn't want the "Sig Nazi" to blacklist me... :D

My temps at the moment are:

Room temp 30° C
Case 35°C
CPU 51°C
And the system has been running non-stop for 26+ hours. I'd like to see the CPU temp a little closer to the Case temp, MADSAM you are probably right the fan may be a little light on CFM's. I might just order me a higher CFM fan and see what difference it makes.

Oh and the board came with BIOS 8R, and I left it alone. I talked with the ABIT tech Support folks, they said the latest board (all version 1.0) have had a revision to the LAN chipset, to correct earlier problems.

So... "now you know the rest of the story"

lans.....

i've read a lot about some at7's with lans problems and i've heard some that work fine. i think it's a manufacturing error, and not the bios. i think the lans is simply defective on some boards and on some it's ok. and that new ....t-bred bios is a bad hoax too....lol.......folks buy the t-bred.....flash to the new bios....and prestooo....i said ...presto.....or maybe no presto at all....hmmmm.

sonny......
i can see you with the kx7-333 sooner or later....and the at7 , i think comes a close second. just my opinion. i love this at7, but i still use seperate sound and won't use the lans anyway. the kx7-333 has those pci's that are missing on the at7..........

someone even mentioned how convienient it is to have all that space between the agp slot and the first pci....lots of room for a huge cooling solution for insane agp o/c..........i'd never do that.....i'm scoring 10,400-10,500 on 3D mark.....hmmmmm, wonder how high i can clock this card......with air.....,hmmmmm

ok, stop me now.........i promised myself i wouldn't fry componentes......

Re: lans.....

madsam said:
sonny......
i can see you with the kx7-333 sooner or later....and the at7 , i think comes a close second. just my opinion. i love this at7, but i still use seperate sound and won't use the lans anyway. the kx7-333 has those pci's that are missing on the at7..........

someone even mentioned how convienient it is to have all that space between the agp slot and the first pci....lots of room for a huge cooling solution for insane agp o/c..........i'd never do that.....i'm scoring 10,400-10,500 on 3D mark.....hmmmmm, wonder how high i can clock this card......with air.....,hmmmmm

ok, stop me now.........i promised myself i wouldn't fry componentes......
Actually my sensibility still points toward the KT266A133 chipset so that is the KR7A133R. If the KT400 comes out when I have the money to purchase an upgrade that maybe a better option & I hope I can stop the board from using the 1/5 divider. The better bus speeds should make me happy if it's all what it's cracked up to be.

A good thing to try for air cooled GPU is the CoolJag HSF with a 25CFM 60mm Sunon or that weird sized 74mm TMD from YSTech, a little modding would be needed for the TMD to fit but that isnt too much of a problem.

BrewMeister - What fan do you have on it? Maybe if you try something in the 38 - 50 CFM will do you better in terms of load temps with added noise. I also noticed a high case temp. Do you have enough case air flow? Check out the links in my first reply & our Cooling Section for a bit of help.

Back