• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Athlon XP 2000+ from newegg.. thoughts on it?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Flakk

Hey guys, going to buy a proc for my buddy.. he needs a new Socket A chip and doesn't want to pay more than $60 for it. How are these chips doing from newegg? Does the 2000+ overclock fairly well?

Also, as far as a motherboard is concerned, i decided quickly on the spot to go with the Shuttle "AN35N-Ultra". He doesnt want to spend more than $60 on a motherboard. Very budget situation. Opinions, Suggestions?

here's the links to the two items mentioned above:

AMD Athlon XP 2000+, 266 FSB, 256K Cache Processor - Retail ($57)

Shuttle "AN35N-Ultra" nForce2 Ultra 400 Motherboard - Retail ($55)

basically, could i get anything better for the same (or less) amount of money? any place to buy better than newegg? Thanks

I just bought that exact motherboard and an XP2000+ myself. Still waiting on the case and power supply. This will be the first PC I've built myself, too. :)

I have the an35n ultra and I think it is a pretty strong board if your not into "hardcore" overclocking.I have my desktop 2500+ running at 2.39 GHz 24/7 with it.been running it like this since early Feb. and it's been rock solid.a couple of things to keep in mind with this board is that it is kinda picky about memory and it likes a decent psu.alot of people sleep on this board because of the shuttle name and budget price but as I said it is a strong and stable board.

A friend of mine just gave me 2x512 Kingston valueram pc2100 sticks...hopefully, they'll work with the Shuttle. I'll try overclocking it and see how far I can get it to go, but to be honest, even if everything only runs at stock speeds, it'd still be a major step up from my P3 1 Ghz. :)

The same friend also gave me an Abit KG7 Raid motherboard. Depending on how things go with the Shuttle, I may give that one a try (I'd rather the Shuttle worked, what with the built-in LAN, nForce2 chipset, and all.

He's moving from CA to Hawaii, and has to leave most of his stuff behind. :)

ah, good it sounds like a decent enough pick then.

Do you guys know if the 2000+'s overclock a lot, just like a P4 2.0 would? (current batches of P4 1.8-2.4 chips get to 3+ghz these days easily).

To my understanding, as a general rule: recent batches of slower speed-rated CPUs (ie 2000+) tend to overclock nearly up to where the current top of the line chips are at, due to the newer chip core revisions-- at least with Intel this is the case. I'm assuming this condition generally holds true for AMD too. So one would expect a pretty good overclock on 2000+ these days, or am I getting my hopes up falsely?

Last edited:
i've recently built 3 budget pc's for friends all with this chip. all on nforce2 boards. they all topped out around 2.1-2.2 ghz. not a great oc'er but still it runs solid and stable. with only 1.75v. the stock hsf is very nice also. your friend will be happy. that shuttle board is nice also. i had one and really liked it. hope this helps

Unlike the 2100+ B from newegg, the 2000+ B will probably be multiplier locked.

The 2000+ default mulitplier is 12.5.

MHz speed = [FSB] x multiplier

This is a problem if you have a generic average PC2100 stick of RAM sijce they can only overclock between 133 and low 150s FSB.

This means you need PC3200 RAM to overclock with mulitplier locked chips since PC3200 RAM can go into 200s FSB.

2100+ B on the other hand is always multiplier unlocked so even if you have PC2100 RAM and can overclock only to high 140s FSB or low 150s FSB, you can raise the multiplier.

MHz speed = FSB x multiplier

1.65 is way to low for a desktop Thoroughbred B overclock.
They may need 1.85 volts to do the 2.3 they should be all able to do.

Also, with your with you're PC4000 RAM, multiplier being locked at 12.5 would mean you would need to underclock the RAM to like 180ish FSB to hit the overclock max of T-Bred B.

c627627 said:
Unlike the 2100+ B from newegg, the 2000+ B will probably be multiplier locked.

The 2000+ default mulitplier is 12.5.

Yeah, I'm not certain, but hoping, the 2000+ I have is from before they were locking multipliers. I didn't buy it new. :-/

c627627 said:
This is a problem if you have a generic average PC2100 stick of RAM sijce they can only overclock between 133 and low 150s FSB.

This means you need PC3200 RAM to overclock with mulitplier locked chips since PC3200 RAM can go into 200s FSB.

Yeah, if I were making the purchase, I'd have gotten pc3200 ram--not only more headroom now, but more likely to be of use if I build another, better machine a few months down the road. But like I said, my friend had it just sitting there, and told me to take it. Can't turn down a free gig of ram! :) If it turns out to be a real problem, perhaps I'll try selling it and buying pc3200 instead, even if I have to get 2x256 dimms or spend extra.

Getting better RAM is better for your system but if you're out of cash, you can simply ebay the 2000+ and buy the 2100+ from newegg....

about the ram i have 512 of crucial pc2100 and i have gotten it up 184 stable and everything i cant push ut more because i have stock cpu cooling on my 2500+
Its good ram

You're fortunate enough to have a mislabeled PC2700 RAM.

I also had a Crucial PC2100 stick of RAM. It was correctly labeled as it could not go over 154-ish FSB 100% in sync.

c627627 said:
1.65 is way to low for a desktop Thoroughbred B overclock.
They may need 1.85 volts to do the 2.3 they should be all able to do.

Also, with your with you're PC4000 RAM, multiplier being locked at 12.5 would mean you would need to underclock the RAM to like 180ish FSB to hit the overclock max of T-Bred B.

Its a great chip.... I think its a steppign that hasn't been too common... I dunno if I reprted it in the stepping thread or not... Maybe I'll get it out and put it under my SLK and have some fun again :D

I do, however remember doing 2100mhz on my a7n8x :cool:

(its an older chip, so its unlocked. had it since before x-mas.)

the 2000+ is a good chip if your low on cash. i got my chip OC'ed a bit, but my rams holding me back. but i also have an unlocked chip. i would not be guessing that they would still be shipping unlocked chips"besides the XP-M". so who knows how fast you could get it. but it would all count on your mobo ram and HSF. every OC is a bit diff, look at me sig for my OC on the 2000+ chip :)

neo

Back