• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Athlon XP 2400 running too hot...advice?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

eric1787

Registered
Hello,

I have an AMD Athlon XP 2400 processor running on an MSI K7N2 m/b. I'm using AS5 thermal paste and a thermaltake volcano 7+ cpu fan. The pc also has a cheesy 92mm outtake fan. My idle cpu temps are around 45C and they peak at 62C when the cpu is loaded (in fact, that's only after 20 minutes of 100% cpu usage...I'm afraid to have the temps rise further).
I just ordered a 120mm case fan which I'll use for exhaust (it is rated at 79 cfm). I also bought a real psu (coolmax) with a fan underneath for better airflow. My current psu is delta (some no name brand).

Just to clarify, I'm not overclocking. The processor is running at 2.0 Ghz.

Will the exhaust fan and new psu bring my max load temps down below 50C? I know the hsf is outdated...perhaps a better one would help as well. I run the 7+ on medium because it's 48db on the max setting. I really can't spend more than $100 on cooling, and I've already spent $65 on the psu and 120mm fan.

Thanks!

-Eric

In my opinion temperature is too high as for volcaon 7 on AS5. My friend had one and on medium at allowed moderate OC, while on high noone could stand it.

My guess is that you have very poor case ventilation, or badly applied paste or some nasty copper shim. Mobo probes are far fro being acurate, but >60*C load is too much, even while having 30*C in room.

Nice case fans should help, but I'd also check heatsink installation - AS5 applying guide from arctic silver site is pretty good. Apply enough paste not to have airbetween CPU and heatsink, and not too much, as the more paste the worse temps. You might also try lapping of your heatsink, if you think you won't make it worse. Hmm.. what more? Maybe clean your comp or something - heatsinks get clogged with dust over time. If you have any stickers on CPU, don't use shim or get rid of stickers, and if you don't move computer a lot, it could be good not to shim.

Btw, WELCOME ON FORUMS. :D

Have you removed the fan grids from the case? Removing these increases air flow and reduces noise... A wire finger guard can be mounted on expossed fans if needed..
Make sure your wiring and cables are out of the air paths..

Install your new parts and see what you get.. :)

What are your room and system(case/mobo) temps?

Temps

Idle CPU temp=41C (it's acutally lower...the program that came with my m/b is inaccurate)

Idle m/b temp=34C

Ambient temp=22C

I would upgrade the HS/Fan combo. Something rated for your processor should not cost more than $20.
The fans you already ordered should also help ambient temps.
I would also do what archilochus said.

Covering all other holes

I read somewhere that the case should be sealed except for intake holes and outtake holes for the case fan and psu. Is this true? I taped up the vents on the sides and a vent in the back where a fan does not go. Will i notice lower temps when i get the real psu/case fan?

I believe you get a much more efficient airflow in your case when it's closed. You might get lower temps if you put an exhaust fan in the back.

YviE

Exhaust fan

Yea a 120mm exhaust fan will be coming in a few days that does 79 cfm. I'm hoping that and the new psu will bring my load cpu temp down below 50C. In addition to upgrading the HSF, should i get an intake fan? I believe my case has room for two 80mms, but im not 100% sure.

Pic

Perhaps I should post a pic of the current setup (TT 7+, exhaust fan, ****ty psu) and then update them when the new fan and psu come? You all can assess my air flow situation.

I am running an xp2600 OCed 200 @ x11 multi, and have been having load temps around 49-50 or so with idle temps running around 42. I have two 120mm case fans one intake and other exhaust. I just modded the side panel and put an 80mm Vantec case fan on it. My idle temps are now 36 and and load may hit 41 from time to time.
I believe you cannot have to much air getting in the case. One thing I did was pop out one of the large bezels in front of the case and I could feel air being drawn in. I noticed that the temps would quickly drop when I did that.. so, hence the mod.
Just a thought...

eric1787 said:
In addition to upgrading the HSF, should i get an intake fan? I believe my case has room for two 80mms, but im not 100% sure.

Yes, like DuckDodgers said good intake will lower the temps considerably.
You should get 2 80mms or try to put a 120mm in front, 2 120mms should give you a nice airflow.

YviE

Pics

Here are seven pics--they should display my setup fairly well. Please let me know what you think about the two items that have yet to arrive, possible HSF upgrades, an intake fan, and other solutions to keep max load temps below 50 (or better). Thanks so much for all the replies!

http://www.ziaspace.com/~eric/1.JPG
http://www.ziaspace.com/~eric/2.JPG
http://www.ziaspace.com/~eric/3.JPG
http://www.ziaspace.com/~eric/4.JPG
http://www.ziaspace.com/~eric/5.JPG
http://www.ziaspace.com/~eric/6.JPG
http://www.ziaspace.com/~eric/7.JPG

I would dremel out the grilles in both the front and the back. They both will restrict the airflow alot. Not to mention the noise. Then install the 120 mm fans on front and back and see what happens.

Duct tape

BTW i removed the duct tape from the two side vents and the awkward shaped rectange in the rear (where I presume no fan goes). i thought covering those holes would allow for more efficient intake and exhaust of air through the case. ill let you know how it goes when i get the new psu and install that exhaust fan (and hopefully cut out the grill on the case for better air flow, as you recommended).

Might as well cut a hole on the side(just above ur cpu HSF).
and add nother 80mm or 90mm fan. Then use a cardboard/pvc pipe
to direct the airflow onto ur HSF. This will give fresh air
from outside direct to ur HSF, coz ur front intake isnt really helping,
unless u also cut a holeon the front.

I would REALLY follow DuckDodgers advice...it may be all you need after installing your new fans.
I also have the same MOBO so dont expect to overclock it past about 2.5ghz.
I have built meny systems with MSI boards in them and they are rock solid for normal use but they just arent one of the better MOBOs for overclocking :cry:

just my two cents :D

Last edited:
eric1787 said:
Here are seven pics--they should display my setup fairly well. Please let me know what you think about the two items that have yet to arrive, possible HSF upgrades, an intake fan, and other solutions to keep max load temps below 50 (or better). Thanks so much for all the replies!

Jeez, that front bezel won't let any air through. You have to make some holes in it, or give up on the idea of a front intake.

if you don't want to chop up your front bezel too visibly, you might try making a series of long holes 1"x3" in the sides of the front bezel. That will let a front intake fan do something.

On the other hand, you could just make a 120mm side intake right above the CPU.

ps I also agree with everything everybody else was saying.

TheWesson said:
Jeez, that front bezel won't let any air through. You have to make some holes in it, or give up on the idea of a front intake.

if you don't want to chop up your front bezel too visibly, you might try making a series of long holes 1"x3" in the sides of the front bezel. That will let a front intake fan do something.

Actually the rear fan/fans will be the ones drawing the air through the front Bezel. All the front fan will do is supply more air, or if there is not enough exhaust, it will pressurize the case, and thus reduce the the cooling effect of the fans. I don't recommend leaving the bezel open without some sort of a filtering screen. An open hole is a major dust magnet. Not to mention a handy place for things to get dropped or shoved into.

Before I added the side fan to my case I noticed a large amount of air being drawn through the front bezel. I remove the grills and added the side fan and now it does not draw any air that I can tell of.

Last edited:
Judging by the dust I see on the fans I think you ALREADY have enought intake.
Just add those fans and cut the grills on the back of the case.
Intake is overated anyway.

Just my opnion though

Back