• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Athlon XP 2400 running too hot...advice?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
TheWesson said:
Yeah. Whatever.
Sarcasim is not really needed here. However it was nice that you deleted you prior post in which you also stated;

"That's what I said, you need to open up the front intake or have a side intake :rolleyes:

Yes if you don't have a fan in your intake, then the work of pulling in air is left to your exhaust fans. :rolleyes:"

No one and certianly not I were taking shots at you. I personally was doing nothing more than trying to give Eric a clear and discript explaination of what is being talked about here. Hopefully that has been accomplished with all the helpful posts in this thread from other members, including yourself.

So let's not make replies to posts which may or may not conflict with your thoughts,view, opinions or experience, a personal thing. Maybe you can learn something new from the posts as I do.
Have a good day.

The Duck

To sum everything up, I would:
- clean the heatsink, must be dust on it, since your fans are dusty
- reseat the heatsink and apply a fresh coat of thermal paste
- dremel out the fan grills (at least the one at the back where you'll put the 120mm fan)
- put 2 x 80mm in front & the 1 120mm in the back
- try to rewire your case (don't get me wrong it's not bad, but could improve airflow a bit and won't cost ya a thing)

YviE said:
- try to rewire your case (don't get me wrong it's not bad, but could improve airflow a bit and won't cost ya a thing)

YviE, what is your opinion on sleeving as opposed to tie wrapping the wires for added air flow?

I think in terms of efficiency it should be about the same. Personally I find sleeving much more attractive, I've been wanting to do some sleeving for months, but just can't find that stuff over here. I guess sleeving costs a bit more also.

What do you think, Duck?

YviE

TheWesson said:
Yeah. Whatever.

I was simply echoing the past experiences I have had in fan placement and ducting. I also have read on different sites/forums that a system with nothing but exaust fans cools the best unless you tune your exaust/intake ratio properly. I have found the best way to do that is to use ducts.

just my two cents worth

I hope we can all conduct ourselves in an orderly fasion?

FYI- I work at NASA and that is also what my coworkers (engineers) also believe. Some of these guys really know their thermal dynamics!

philippmike said:
I was simply echoing the past experiences I have had in fan placement and ducting. I also have read on different sites/forums that a system with nothing but exaust fans cools the best unless you tune your exaust/intake ratio properly. I have found the best way to do that is to use ducts.

I would be interested in the type and placement of any ducting you have done or are doing or even planning on doing. I am assuming that are talking about directing the airflow to certain areas of the system. Send pics if you have them.

I know that when I added my side intake fan which is directed at my HSF, to my case, my temps dropped by 5-7 degrees. Which I would think is a fairly good drop.

Dremel

That sounds like it would definitely improve air flow. I dont have a dremel though, guess I'll need to borrow one.

My friend has the same CPU, stock HSF, and an ABIT motherboard with the same chipset as myself. All he has is in 80mm exhaust fan attached to a duct that came with the case. It is a plastic heat duct. I'll post a picture he should be sending it to me shortly. His idle temps are 34C! With stock HSF and no name brand thermal compound. And he has the same PSU as I. Could that duct make all the difference? His intake hole is the same as mine (you can't see it in the pics--it is a slot about an inch and a half wide underneath the front cover of the case.

And thanks to you all again for all the informative responses!

The best ducting job I have seen is here:

http://www.overclockers.com/tips1187/

That is why I frequent this forum now.
Note the foreword about reducing the volume needed to cool...that is the whole concept. I intend on making a modified version of his. Mine will combine the two versions of the ducting work around the AGP/PCI slots. A intake behind the MOBO(behind the processor) will also be added.

However I have not been able to start on it yet and do not currently have pictures.
Married with children...........:)

what I'm going to do with our new dual 3.6 is turn the front intake to exhaust (and clear the front intake as necessary), then it'll have 3 exhaust fans: rear 120 mm, front 92mm, and power supply.

Then a large oval hole above the two CPUs in the side will be a passive intake.

Hopefully this will keep the fans on the 3.6's HS's from screaming like banshees.

I too believe that you may as well have all fans to exhaust, and a passive intake, so long as the passive intake is large and free, and the airway from intake to exhaust is not too obstructive.

Duct job

Phillipmike, that looks great...but I'm not overclocking and I dont want to make this cooling issue into a big thing. As someone pointed out, my processor is really cheap.....why spend loads of time and money on cooling? I just need a simple solution. He just has this plastic duct with an 80mm fan in it...it is angled over the cpu hsf.

eric1787 said:
As someone pointed out, my processor is really cheap.....why spend loads of time and money on cooling?

I have the same CPU. And, yes, it is indeed cheap. Personally spending time and money on cooling is one of my passions (I try to keep my spendings reasonable).
That's the difference between you and overclockers. :)

YviE

eric1787 said:
Phillipmike, that looks great...but I'm not overclocking and I dont want to make this cooling issue into a big thing. As someone pointed out, my processor is really cheap.....why spend loads of time and money on cooling? I just need a simple solution. He just has this plastic duct with an 80mm fan in it...it is angled over the cpu hsf.

Sorry if I ran off on a tanget. I guess I got caught up in a conversation with duck and wesson.

But yeah it looks like you are going to do the right thing. :thup:

TheWesson said:
what I'm going to do with our new dual 3.6 is turn the front intake to exhaust (and clear the front intake as necessary), then it'll have 3 exhaust fans: rear 120 mm, front 92mm, and power supply.

Then a large oval hole above the two CPUs in the side will be a passive intake.

Hopefully this will keep the fans on the 3.6's HS's from screaming like banshees.

I too believe that you may as well have all fans to exhaust, and a passive intake, so long as the passive intake is large and free, and the airway from intake to exhaust is not too obstructive.

That's an interesting concept. Exhaust out the front and the back with passive intake above. It sounds like a good idea. It sounds like you could almost create two vortexes inside your case.

Why did you choose to intake from the top rather the bottom? Warm air rises, wouldn't you be drawing cool air through the warm air and back through your case? Just a thought.

As you can see I have a 2500+ barton not overclocked and I use the Volcano 11 CPU fan using the manual control which is set between 36-3700rpm. It has a copper heatsink but under it I have Artic Silver 5 thermal paste on my CPU.

Temps in a normal room like 24'c are below under a full load like say playing Dungeon Siege which is the game I'm playing now for about 3 hours it rises to about 39 on CPU and don't even move on sys temp.

I have the Vol 11 CPU fan as stated and 1 exhaust fan right next to it, side intake fan same size. And one inside attached to the rear end of my PSU also 1x round IDE cable since I only have a DVD-ROM and 1 round floppy cable all tied back out of any hardware's cooling.

Your best bet is too upgrade your CPU fan and maybe get some case fans also cause nowadays you need case fans to get rid of that hot air.

DuckDodgers said:
That's an interesting concept. Exhaust out the front and the back with passive intake above. It sounds like a good idea. It sounds like you could almost create two vortexes inside your case.

Why did you choose to intake from the top rather the bottom? Warm air rises, wouldn't you be drawing cool air through the warm air and back through your case? Just a thought.

Duck, I actually tried to measure the stack effect one time.

150W light bulb in a cardboard box with wide openings below and an 80mm opening up top for exhaust.

According to my (very rough) estimates, the stack effect produced an airflow of around 5-10 CFM, if the air was undisturbed and the temp in the "case" was allowed to become as warm as it wanted to until it reached equilibrium with the minimal ventilation from the stack effect.

I do not know how warm the air in the "case" was during my experiment, because my thermometer in the case just kept on rising; was probably warmed by contact with the "case" side or by radiation from the light bulb or something. By hand felt like the air coming out was maybe 100F or so, dunno.

10 CFM with 150W would be a 25C rise over ambient ... so that makes sense. (1.685/CFM * Watts = temp rise in case exhaust).

If the "case" were not allowed to become very warm (due to forced ventilation) then the stack effect would be correspondingly smaller.

so what I believe is that a hole in the top of the case will work slightly better, but not better enough for me to care about it.

[edit] I see that I may have misread your post. The intake would be from the side, whereas the exhaust would be to front and rear, so air would be pretty well mixed with cool air by the time it got back around to the side port.

If I were you I would dust your entire computer. Then I would take off your heat sink, unscrew the fan and get all the dust out. I would then use 99.9% isopropyl applied on smooth gauze to clean the heatsink, entire cpu (get off any thermal paste that might be connecting pins), and lightly go over the motherboard. I find that it takes a lot of unnecessary time to put a small amount of as5 on a amd cpu and spread it around. What i do is I take the as5 and squirt a line down the cpu and then use the hsf to get it smooth (twist it a bit before puting it in place). A lot of as5 gets pushed out to the sides of the heatsink and is wasted but its pretty effective and easy. My amd 2800 (nonoverclocked) went from idle 58 degrees with too little as5 to 36 degrees (thermistor reading) with my new way of doing it. I dont know what is up w/ my diode reading :( It reads -65 c sometimes. good luck anyway. A guy who worked at frys told me the volcano 12 only worked with pentium sockets <_< Now I have a silent boost tt which im pretty happy with though.

Reapplying AS5

Yea I'll have to clean the HS and reapply the thermal compound per arctic silver's instructions. Definitely doesn't hurt.

BTW, when the psu and outtake fan comes and i dremel out the grill for the 120mm fan, can i overclock my CPU? I'd like to make sure full load for hours on end never exceeds 50C. That would be nice.

Also, my system only has 256MB PC2700 memory....if i doubled it, would I notice a significant performance improvement?

Thanks!

-Eric

Yes doubling your memory to 512Mb will give you a nice performance boost. With PC2700 memory you'll be able to boost the FSB to 166Mhz without overclocking your memory. If you're lucky like me you can get more out of your memory (my PC2700 does atleast 213Mhz at CAS 2.5).

About overclocking the CPU, all depends on your temps, if the temperature drop is significant you should be able to overclock your CPU.

When removing the HS from the CPU, look which stepping your CPU is (it's written on the CPU, should look something like xxxx2400 xxxx xxxx => look at my signature, you'll get the idea) and then compare it with the CPU database on overclockers.com. That'll give you an idea of how far you can push your CPU.

YviE

Back